Swedish biker dies after crash on Phuket bridge

webfact

Swedish biker dies after crash on Phuket bridge
Eakkapop Thongtub

1460689061_1-org.jpg
The man was travelling from Khao Lak to Patong to take part in Phuket Bike Week. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Swedish man in Phuket for Phuket Bike Week has died after he crashed his motorbike on Thepkrasattri Bridge last night (Apr 14).

The man was the first person killed on Phuket’s roads since authorities launched Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign for Songkran on Monday (Apr 11).

The 41-year-old Swedish man suffered severe chest injuries and was taken to Thalang Hospital, where he was pronounced dead in the emergency room.

Tha Chatchai Police Capt Thanom Thongpan was informed of the accident at 7:50pm.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/swedish-biker-dies-after-crash-on-phuket-bridge-57035.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-15

The victims friend, Thapanot Sorn-in, 36, said that he was following the victim on another big bike. They were travelling from Khao Lak to Patong for Phuket Bike Week.

Mr Thapanot said the victim was travelling at high speed when he reached the bridge. He lost control of the motorbike and crashed. The motorbike skidded along the road and the mans body struck roadside a light pole."

Seems there was no other vehicle involved. Not really an unfortunate accident either. I known that stretch of road really well, lots of bends and uneven surface at times. Speeding on a 2-wheeler there was not really smart. Rip biker.

I have to question the fact of was the guy an experienced biker, or just someone here on holiday who thought it would be a fun thing to do?

Either way, another person has died needlessly.

Condolences to his family.

That can only matter if the biker was at fault. Thai drivers seem to like to leave the scene, if they can.

I have to question the fact of was the guy an experienced biker, or just someone here on holiday who thought it would be a fun thing to do?

He drove from Khao Lak to Phuket for the Bike Week and had a thai friend, also on a big bike, following him. Does that sound like some random tourist hopping on a big bike for the first time?

...hope they check for skid marks...

...so tired of hearing how 1 vehicle had an accident....

...does it take Sherlock to consider there might have been another vehicle involved.....

Like the other comment above, reading the article helps. It makes it pretty clear that no other vehicle was involved. His friend was witness and losing the control of a bike can happen quicker than one might think.

I mean seriously, the people commenting on this board... sometimes you got to wonder.

...hope they check for skid marks...

...so tired of hearing how 1 vehicle had an accident....

...does it take Sherlock to consider there might have been another vehicle involved.....

No - any of the Thai Visa wannabe Inspector Clouseaus will do.

maybe if you had taken the trouble to read the full article before you put your detectives hat on......

"The victims friend, Thapanot Sorn-in, 36, said that he was following the victim on another big bike. They were travelling from Khao Lak to Patong for Phuket Bike Week.

Mr Thapanot said the victim was travelling at high speed when he reached the bridge. He lost control of the motorbike and crashed. The motorbike skidded along the road and the mans body struck roadside a light pole."

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/swedish-biker-dies-after-crash-on-phuket-bridge-57035.php#sthash.2d84AlL2.dpuf

Edited by Shadychris

That can only matter if the biker was at fault. Thai drivers seem to like to leave the scene, if they can.

So your response to a well intentioned question is to indulge yourself in a bit of racist Thai bashing..

No doubt in your haste to be a smart arse you didn't consider reading the linked report....

I pity you, I really do.

The Phuket Gazette gives this version of events:

"Another biker friend riding alongside Mr Soederstroem told police that when Mr Soederstroem came to the middle of the bridge, he stood up on his bike to look at the sea. He then lost control and slammed into the wall, hitting his head on a streetlight pole."

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Swede-dies-big-bike-crash-first-death/63695#ad-image-0

The victims friend, Thapanot Sorn-in, 36, said that he was following the victim on another big bike. They were travelling from Khao Lak to Patong for Phuket Bike Week.

Seems there was no other vehicle involved. Not really an unfortunate accident either. I known that stretch of road really well, lots of bends and uneven surface at times. Speeding on a 2-wheeler there was not really smart. Rip biker.

He crashed on the bridge, so no "lots of bends and uneven surface"...