Promoting Thai image through Thai attire in Songkran

webfact

Promoting Thai image through Thai attire in Songkran

con.jpg

BANGKOK, 15 April 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Culture is inviting Thai people to wear traditional attires during the Songkran holidays to promote a positive image of Thailand to the world, says the minister.

Minister of Culture Vira Rojpojchanarat has revealed the Ministry of Culture is now holding a Thainess promotion campaign encouraging Thai nationals to wear their traditional attires while visiting temples and celebrating the Songkran festival.

Individuals are encouraged to send pictures of themselves wearing Thai attire, to participate in a contest to promote the positive image of Thailand, with categories including photographs, advertising artwork, infographics, and video clips. The deadline for submissions will be 16 April 2016.

The Minister of Culture has also said regarding the overall situation of the first day of Songkran celebrations that the public have generally cooperated with authorities in helping to conserve water, while inappropriate acts were reported to be significantly reduced through the related agencies' heavy campaigning.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-15 footer_n.gif

Given they are holding a gun to the Nations head....the request reminds me of a captive told to wear chosen items.

( By captor)

And punished for wrong moves

All the while being told how they are "" loved "" and sick stuff like that.

These guys are telling them how to behave , act , think , dress , and gather, it's really an institution rather than free Nation

Edited by Plutojames88
  • Like 2

Okay, so until about 150 years ago, That "traditional dress" was women going topless. But something tells me that's not the "tradition" they want to see.

Here's my proposed experiment. Have the bar girls (in fact anyone willing) participate in a public service by going topless (the old tradition) in just one selected area of Bangkok for the Songkran water festivities.

Announce it well in advance, so everyone can make their flight arrangements, and no families are accidentally traumatized because they didn't know. Keep the kids out.

Then count the numbers in the selected area, comparing the headcount and revenue on a year on year basis, also compared to rest of Bangkok.

I suspect the tourist numbers would skyrocket (along with the testosterone level and assault complaints). But probably not the tourist spending... Or would it?

The history of fashion and costume sheds light on a whole world of subtle, usually class or wealth related issue. If you consider Thailand today you could have a PhD thesis on the subject of Uniforms. Not in their present incarnation anything much to do with "Thai Image" but a significant symbol of differentiation between government emloyees and the plebs. Then you could move on to the T Shirt Colour Coding Issue. After that have a go at sportswear. Golf clothing-windcheaters etc widely sported by the wealthy. Don't see them wandering around being interviewed in red football shirts with Liverpool or Manchester United on the back. For women and school children even if you don't have any breasts a large well stuffed bra is obligatory. Ironic seeing CousinEddie's picture. The last place I ever saw Asian girls without bras was in rural Bali I suppose 20 years ago. There are then three interesting styles. One is a pair of horrifically tailored shiny trousers is considered "office wear" and the Japanese inspired fashion of stuffing your nylon shirt inside those trousers with a smart belt, never mind your girth. Then policemen and white T Shirts. I like my neighbour; a chinese granny of some 70 years who sees no reason to wear anything other than pyjamas 24/7

• Like 1

Okay, so until about 150 years ago, That "traditional dress" was women going topless. But something tells me that's not the "tradition" they want to see.

Indeed, photos of topless women in traditional attire would give Prayut a coronory. cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

Well said! If you read some historical accounts from when the Dutch first came here, they were appalled at the Thais flagrantly having sex everywhere in the temple grounds.....now the only people doing that seems to be the monks and their "Best Friends"

• Like 1

Perhaps if the Thais want to uphold their cultural values, they might look to their Burmese friends to see how it's done.

attachicon.gifburma parl..jpgattachicon.gifthai mps.jpg

Changed by the previous military dictator:

Thai_culture_poster.PNG

The day that 'traditional Thai dress' died and was replaced by 'traditional Western dress.' Thank you for posting this gem! Now I've got to translate it. This is great! thumbsup.gif

I may have to print this out and put it in my wallet for the next time I venture out in CM without a shirt.

BIB: "You no respect Thai tradition farang. 500 baht fine."

smile.png : "But Somchai, I am dressed in traditional Thai style."

post-87058-0-12275900-1460728240_thumb.j

That would be worth 500 baht and a picture in the local CM rag with me holding up said poster and pointing to the man with a traditional Thai shirtless chest. lol clap2.gif

Edited by connda

I see many men in traditional British attire these days in Pattaya - cargo shorts three sizes to tight at the waist, due to recent expansion on account of excessive beer consumption, torn wife-beater / Tesco/Big C nylon shirt with buttons missing (for reason - see above), flip flops with loose central thong and no tread due to frequent necessity to do what is termed in dialect a "runner".

Perhaps if the Thais want to uphold their cultural values, they might look to their Burmese friends to see how it's done.

attachicon.gifburma parl..jpgattachicon.gifthai mps.jpg

Changed by the previous military dictator:

Thai_culture_poster.PNG

The day that 'traditional Thai dress' died and was replaced by 'traditional Western dress.' Thank you for posting this gem! Now I've got to translate it. This is great! thumbsup.gif

I may have to print this out and put it in my wallet for the next time I venture out in CM without a shirt.

BIB: "You no respect Thai tradition farang. 500 baht fine."

smile.png : "But Somchai, I am dressed in traditional Thai style."

attachicon.gifThai_culture_poster.jpg

That would be worth 500 baht and a picture in the local CM rag with me holding up said poster and pointing to the man with a traditional Thai shirtless chest. lol clap2.gif

Only problem with that is that, in the poster above, the publisher is extolling Thais NOT to dress as in the left-hand picture, but rather to dress "civilised" (อารยะ), as in the right-hand picture.

I see many men in traditional British attire these days in Pattaya - cargo shorts three sizes to tight at the waist, due to recent expansion on account of excessive beer consumption, torn wife-beater / Tesco/Big C nylon shirt with buttons missing (for reason - see above), flip flops with loose central thong and no tread due to frequent necessity to do what is termed in dialect a "runner".

Come up north and you will see pressed khaki shorts, polo shirt and sandals. Colour coordinated batik handkerchief and where appropriate a Panama hat with regimental hat band. Best Beloved will not let me out of the house otherwise!