Jomtien zebra crossings given fresh coat of paint

Rimmer

Jomtien zebra crossings given fresh coat of paint

n14traffic.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya road workers are hoping to improve safety for both motorists and pedestrians by repainting faded crosswalks.

Crews were out April 5, painting a clear new zebra crossing across Jomtien Beach Road at Soi 3-5.

The objective was to ensure safety for tourists, with big crowds expected in the area for Songkran.

Signs were also erected to notify drivers to slow down while approaching the crossings as well.

This will at least reduce the risk of road accidents since Jomtien Beach Road is becoming the new focus in Pattaya and there are many Chinese tour groups around, officials said.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/jomtien-zebra-crossings-given-fresh-coat-of-paint-57544#sthash.4EBRg7Co.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-04-15 footer_n.gif

Zebra Crossing increase the risk of accidents.

Pedestrians think crossing on Zebra Crossings immunes them from getting run over.

Motorists ignore these crossings.

Occasional car / pickup will stop for pedestrians, but motor bikes will overtake these stationary vehicles, thus ploughing in to these pedestrians.

Seen this many many times.

These nice "zebra crossings" can even do more harm than good.

Just think of the naive/first time/newbie tourist from a civilized country who expects that it "works like home",

(in Switzerland even bicycles(!) will stop at such a crossing giggle.gif )

Could end in the hospital or the morgue.

Edited by KhunBENQ

These nice "zebra crossings" can even do more harm than good.

Just think of the naive/first time/newbie tourist from a civilized country who expects that it "works like home",

(in Switzerland even bicycles(!) will stop at such a crossing giggle.gif )

Could end in the hospital or the morgue.

What is the law relating to zebra crossings???

You do not paint them just to make the place look nice...

Take the zrbra crossing at the end Tepparsit road near Foodmart, its funny to watch bemused tourists trying to cross, there is absolutely no break in the traffic light system for pedestrians despite there being a painted zebra crossing.

What is the law relating to zebra crossings???

I made a Thai DL in July last year.

The only pedestrian in the "education videos" that I can remember was one who stopped at curbside to let a car turn left after the driver had honked from behind.

SERIOUSLY, not a joke.

I can remember just one test question where pedestrians were involved.

They do not exist, they hinder traffic.

That's the "law".

There's a painted crossing zone on the main road at the Bangkok Bank in the amphur town near me. I can recall two cars that made an obvious, conscious effort to stop short and wave me across; which I nod and wave ack and thanks, then quick-time across.

One I could see was a farang driver with a Thai lady passenger in a Vigo. The other was more by coincidence as the line of passing traffic itself had come to a halt. He was about to close the gap but, like a light bulb switched on, he suddenly stopped short and held up his hand for me. I thought that was a good, promising gesture.

Having said that, I like to set a good example BUT you gotta watch your 6 when doing the "right" thing. Being rear ended by someone suffering divided attention syndrome - Facebook, having an SMS chat, day dreaming about eating aloy aloy noodles, etc., is ever present reality. That's true anywhere though, not just in Thailand.

The Pattaya mail article has a photo showing the newly painted crossings as white and yellow stripes.

I thought that a Pedestrian Crossing in Thailand, was designated by white stripes across a road . Does this yellow/white painting make this a legal pedestrian crossing ?

Just asking, because if not legal then liability issues become complex.

The Pattaya mail article has a photo showing the newly painted crossings as white and yellow stripes.

I thought that a Pedestrian Crossing in Thailand, was designated by white stripes across a road . Does this yellow/white painting make this a legal pedestrian crossing ?

Who knows ?

Anybodys guess.

Your guesses as good as mine.

You think Thais know ?

You think the road painters kniow ?

You think the road planners know ?

You thing the City Hall know ?

And I didn't know Zebras are yellow and white stripes.

There is most likely somewhere amongst the mountains of paperwork in the LT office, a standard for pedestrian crossing markings.....but I doubt anyone would be wise to.....

Saw a tourist and his family trying to cross on a zebra crossing yesterday , funny to watch him shaking his fist at drivers ,not one stopped , and even if you do someone will just over/undertake you and run them down .

Take the zrbra crossing at the end Tepparsit road near Foodmart, its funny to watch bemused tourists trying to cross, there is absolutely no break in the traffic light system for pedestrians despite there being a painted zebra crossing.

I was almost run over there a month ago by a taxi driving straight over the zebra crossing even though the light was red. Luckily I looked left as I was walking and managed to jump out of the way.

A foreigner was killed walking on a zebra crossing a few years ago, it gives some kind of false protection here to tourists not used to the traffic, maybe better to just remove them.

Edited by balo