Single entry tourist visa, best from Kuala lumpur, phnom penh or vientiane?

A relative wants to stay a bit longer in Thailand so needs to obtain a single entry tourist visa.

What is the quickest and easiest place in the area to go to? Kuala lumpur, Phnom penh or Vientiane?

I read that it takes like 5 days in Phnomh Penh and 1 to 2 days in Kuala Lumpur?

• Don't use KL. Penang is the place to go in Malaysia.
  • Otherwise, Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos are the better options.
  • At all three locations you apply in the morning of day 1 and collect in the afternoon of day 2.
  • Like 1

Avoid Kuala Lumphur! If applying in Malaysia, Penang is a good choice.

If your relative has few previous tourist visas (which I assume is the case) Phnom Penh is OK. To get the visa quickly, it is necessary to use an agent.

Vientiane is a good choice. Fly to Udon Thani, cross the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai. Apply in the morning, visa next day about 2:00 pm.

• Like 1

If your relative has few previous tourist visas (which I assume is the case) Phnom Penh is OK. To get the visa quickly, it is necessary to use an agent.

Vientiane is a good choice. Fly to Udon Thani, cross the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai. Apply in the morning, visa next day about 2:00 pm.

Does that mean there are problems obtaining a visa in Phnom Penh lately. The latest discussion on the Phnom Penh tread was about trains not much about visa. I was considering driving to Phnom Penh for a change (wasn't there for quite a while). Last time I dropped my passport at Flamingos, and even if it took them a couple of days, they didn't even wanted my application form. Passport, Photos, and cash of course, was all they wanted.

I don't mind going to Vientiane (actually love that city, quite some friend there) but my last visa came from there so I thought it's time for a change.

• Like 1

Does that mean there are problems obtaining a visa in Phnom Penh lately. The latest discussion on the Phnom Penh tread was about trains not much about visa. I was considering driving to Phnom Penh for a change (wasn't there for quite a while). Last time I dropped my passport at Flamingos, and even if it took them a couple of days, they didn't even wanted my application form. Passport, Photos, and cash of course, was all they wanted.

I don't mind going to Vientiane (actually love that city, quite some friend there) but my last visa came from there so I thought it's time for a change.

Getting a SETV from PP shouldn't be a problem but, sometimes, they reportedly require confirmation of a flight out of Thailand. Flight confirmation isn't required at Penang, Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Edited by elviajero

Passing on what I have read and deemed credible ...

There have been reports that Phnom Penh is refusing tourist visas to those who already have three (total, not just from Phnom Penh) in their passports. By all means email Flamingos and ask if they corroborate this. If Flamingos has different information, please let us know.

➡ A relative wants to stay a bit longer

Option 1: Pay 1900THB at immigration office to get 30 days extension ( only 7 days for some nationality such as Russians)

Option 2: Take a tourist visa at Penang where has AirAsia direct flight from BKK. Malaysia never require to take a visa for many nationalities. Visa fee is 150RM≒1340THB

Option 3: Take a tourist visa at vientiane. Visa fee is only 1000THB(the cheapest) but farans need to take Laos visa cost 20$?

But, it is depends on the relative's nationality, for ex, Chinese can't take a visa at Vientiane

Edited by Phuket1234

The down side of Penang is it is not as easy to get to as KL.

Anyone figure out why KL does not seem to want to give Visas?

My opinion (and ubonjoe has expressed the same view) is that they are lazy, and do not want to go to the effort. No one can tell you for sure.

Based on what we understand, Vientiane will allow at least 3 visas in one passport from them, if not 4. They will visually check the number of visas issued by them.

Edited by lkv

Getting a SETV from PP shouldn't be a problem but, sometimes, they reportedly require confirmation of a flight out of Thailand. Flight confirmation isn't required at Penang, Vientiane or Savannakhet.

I got one from PP last year and you are correct, I had to supply a copy of the flight ticket out of Thailand.

Passing on what I have read and deemed credible ...

There have been reports that Phnom Penh is refusing tourist visas to those who already have three (total, not just from Phnom Penh) in their passports. By all means email Flamingos and ask if they corroborate this. If Flamingos has different information, please let us know.

That did not happen to me. I have a passport full of tourist and non immigrant visas and mine was approved and issued no problem. I used an agent too but not Flamingos.

Based on what we understand, Vientiane will allow at least 3 visas in one passport from them, if not 4. They will visually check the number of visas issued by them.

That could be annoying if you have a 10 year passport :)

That could be annoying if you have a 10 year passport smile.png

Some expecting to stay for 10 years using tourist visa is an optimist !

➡ A relative wants to stay a bit longer

Option 1: Pay 1900THB at immigration office to get 30 days extension ( only 7 days for some nationality such as Russians)

Option 2: Take a tourist visa at Penang where has AirAsia direct flight from BKK. Malaysia never require to take a visa for many nationalities. Visa fee is 150RM≒1340THB

Option 3: Take a tourist visa at vientiane. Visa fee is only 1000THB(the cheapest) but farans need to take Laos visa cost 20$?

But, it is depends on the relative's nationality, for ex, Chinese can't take a visa at Vientiane

Laos visa is more like 30-40$, considerably more if paying in THB. Free entry for Swiss nationality though. blink.png

That could be annoying if you have a 10 year passport :)

Well yeah mine's 5 years 32 pages (28 visa pages) and tends to get full, thanks to one page Cambodia Laos etc stickers, every 2-3 years so I change it. Edited by lkv

That could be annoying if you have a 10 year passport smile.png

Well yeah mine's 5 years 32 pages (28 visa pages) and tends to get full, thanks to one page Cambodia Laos etc stickers, every 2-3 years so I change it.

Well the Cambodian stickers you can avoid using the online visa, although it's a bit more expensive. Dunno if somthing similar exists for Lao. Not from Switzerland, but lucky enough to be on visa exempt too thumbsup.gif

Well the Cambodian stickers you can avoid using the online visa, although it's a bit more expensive. Dunno if somthing similar exists for Lao. Not from Switzerland, but lucky enough to be on visa exempt too thumbsup.gif

I like the stickers, I'm not complaining, they create the impression of an international traveller. :)

I like the stickers, I'm not complaining, they create the impression of an international traveller. smile.png

Correct, but if you are an international traveller, no need to create the impression. I'm out of the workforce for now, but I went through passports within 2-3 years, while using 2.

My opinion (and ubonjoe has expressed the same view) is that they are lazy, and do not want to go to the effort. No one can tell you for sure.

The comments suggest you have about a 10% chance of getting a SETV via KL, I think these have built up over years and before the new SETV.

If it's your first / only SETV from KL and you have the money, flights, paperwork in good order, surely it's not that bad.

KL is a major hub and I'm likely to be passing through later in the year when I need a SETV, I'd like to give an application a go, does any one have reports from this year on SETV applications?

What do I specifically need to have e.g. flight in/out tickets?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

The comments suggest you have about a 10% chance of getting a SETV via KL, I think these have built up over years and before the new SETV.

If it's your first / only SETV from KL and you have the money, flights, paperwork in good order, surely it's not that bad.

KL is a major hub and I'm likely to be passing through later in the year when I need a SETV, I'd like to give an application a go, does any one have reports from this year on SETV applications?

Unless they are in an unusually good mood, they are liable to ask for a letter from your employer in Malaysia and statements from a Malaysia bank account. They cannot refuse you an SETV outright if you have no other SETVs in your passport, but the rules say they can ask for any other documents they choose. If you, by some miracle, come up with a Malaysian employer and bank account, they can ask you for a Salvation Army member card. By all means apply. Unless people keep applying, we are never going to know when (as a result of personnel changes or whatever) the atmosphere there changes.

Unless you have ALL of the following, don't waste your energy in Kuala Lumpur:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

Edited by lkv

On another thread you were advising a person to apply for a visa in KL and you are now asking about what is needed ?

Check KL's website for their requirements

Unless you have ALL of the following, don't waste your energy in Kuala Lumpur:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

That seems to have no distinction between a SETV & METV.

nless you have ALL of the following, don't waste your energy in Kuala Lumpur:

Yes, quite so. That is why we strongly recommend people avoid KL unless they are in town anyway, and willing to waste some time to see if their requirements have changed.

nless you have ALL of the following, don't waste your energy in Kuala Lumpur:

Yes, quite so. That is why we strongly recommend people avoid KL unless they are in town anyway, and willing to waste some time to see if their requirements have changed.

I'm a few months away needing one, and will give it a go if it's convenient to do so. I'll post an update when I do.