Maintaining An Online Identity.

villagefarang

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people have the ability to view themselves as others see them

Why would anybody want to view themselves as others see them when there is an IGNORE button?
Are you suggesting that most of us would ignore ourselves if we could see ourselves as others see us?

Perhaps by freeing us from our foolish notions, airs and graces it save us from many a blunder, but I don't know how many would go so far as to put themselves on Ignore.

It might explain the number who seem unable to follow their own advice, and who overlook the ironic hypocrisy of their own viewpoints

SC

There are some types on TVF,who post bizarre rubbish of similar themes syntax and style

They inevitably get banned and come back under another user account. Some of it can be amusing but

researchers have found a big correlation with these types and some serious psychopathy.

http://easyhealthoptions.com/internet-trolls-mental-disorder/

Not many people have the ability to view themselves as others see them

Why would anybody want to view themselves as others see them when there is an IGNORE button?
Are you suggesting that most of us would ignore ourselves if we could see ourselves as others see us?

Perhaps by freeing us from our foolish notions, airs and graces it save us from many a blunder, but I don't know how many would go so far as to put themselves on Ignore.

It might explain the number who seem unable to follow their own advice, and who overlook the ironic hypocrisy of their own viewpoints

SC

I am suggesting that those on here who get a chance to see how other people view them and don't particularly like it when it is revealed just how others view them tend to put those who thus view them on IGNORE so they can continue to view themselves as they prefer to see themselves without any undue obstruction.

Edited by JLCrab

I also find it interesting that no matter how popular and respected you are or how carefully you choose your words, there will be those who come to despise you, twisting everything you say and do to fit their personal bias.

Sometimes the hate of a few can send people to the exit in search of respite and that always saddens me. I have actually stuck around because I have no desire to let those negative individuals rule ThaiVisa. Someone needs to present a more balanced view of Thailand to counter the naysayers who dump on Thailand at every turn.

personally, i find your postings fatuous and overwrought unless you are talking about something neutral like cycling.

I would hope that you are quite different in real life.

I disagree, I think VF works hard to encourage positive and useful conversations here. I met him once, he seemed to be the same person.

This exchange exemplifies how even a carefully crafted online identity can be seen as representing very different things. One guy sees me as fatuous and overwrought while someone else feels that I work hard to encourage positive and useful conversation.

Some people worked tirelessly to get me removed from the forum at one point and most recently I came in third place in the poster of the year competition. It is absolutely amazing to observe how different individuals respond to the same posts and the same online identity.

As has been said many times "its not what you are looking at, its what you choose to see" (or how you choose to interpret).

Without those other required communication factors of body language, facial expression and tone, its surprising how much is "guesswork" .

In a real life situation, body language and tone can tell much more than the actual words spoken.

When its words on a page, with none of the above, what's said is not necessarily what's perceived.