Five days of Songkran celebrations claim 338 deaths, 2,891 injuries

rooster59

If you take road deaths per 100k people indeed Thailand is in 2nd place.

If you take road deaths per 100k vehicles then Thailand is a long way down the list with about 75 deaths per 100k vehicles

Guinea has about 9,500 deaths per 100k vehicles per year

Thailand averages 25k road deaths a year, India has almost 240k

Just a bit of perspective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I understand the perspective, but the fact is the fact: more people die from road accidents per 100k in Thailand than in the countries mentioned above. Why to care about the number of vehicles on the road? It doesn't make me feel any safer or better.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are the statistics from each day this year, 2016, with the previous year in brackets:

Day 1: 52 deaths (25) and 431 injuries (348) in 387 reported accidents (324)

Day 2: 64 deaths (34) and 550 injured (417) in 520 reported accidents (399)

Day 3: 65 deaths (62) and 796 injured (516) in 754 reported accidents (492)

Day 4: 78 deaths (70) and 601 injured (527) in 555 reported accidents (520)

Day 5: 79 deaths (60) and 513 injured (724) in 508 reported accidents (671)

The total number of deaths for the first FIVE days is 338 (251)

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2016/

These are real read em and weep numbers not the cooked TAT figures.

This is normal for Thailand. If they counted all road related deaths everyday the figures would be the same

i dont think thats possible with so many people traveling on holiday

I don't know why the foreigners get so upset about the Songkran carnage. It obviously is not a concern for the Thai people. If it was then there would be a major upheaval among the populace and police and officials would actually do something "positive and constructive" about it. Instead there is the face-saving veneer of concern and token efforts made but it is easy to see that these measures are ineffective and temporary. If foreigners are so concerned about their safety, then stay off the road for one week. Instead, the foreigners happily participate in the celebration risking their safety just as those who participate in the annual running of the bulls in Pamplona risk their safety for the excitement and the festivities of the holiday there.

I found that getting upset is frustrating and fruitless. It's best to just stay home during this time, stay off the roads (especially after 4pm) and sit back and look in amazement at the ever-increasing death toll knowing that it is a product of foolishness, carelessness and stupidity and that there are always going to be foolish, careless, stupid people. It's hard to legislate these character traits out of people.

These are the statistics from each day this year, 2016, with the previous year in brackets:

Day 1: 52 deaths (25) and 431 injuries (348) in 387 reported accidents (324)

Day 2: 64 deaths (34) and 550 injured (417) in 520 reported accidents (399)

Day 3: 65 deaths (62) and 796 injured (516) in 754 reported accidents (492)

Day 4: 78 deaths (70) and 601 injured (527) in 555 reported accidents (520)

Day 5: 79 deaths (60) and 513 injured (724) in 508 reported accidents (671)

The total number of deaths for the first FIVE days is 338 (251)

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2016/

Would seem this year's supposed road safety campaign over Song Kran was a SMASHING success, literally.

Have it be ONE DAY.

...one day only. Not one and a half. One is the whole number between zero and two. New Year's eve is one night. Loy Kratong is one day. Songkran could be established as ONE DAY if Thai authorities agreed to that.

You dont have to play if you dont want to, and if Thais dont want to they wont play. All the ones i saw had smiles accross their faces and seemed to be loving the fun and time with their families.

Many of them work shitty dead end jobs all year and look forward to the enforced new year holiday. I am sure they would not be receptive if the fun police suddenly cut tradional Thai New Year to one day. I enjoy the long holiday to.

Outside of high profile places i think it would be irrelevant if police said water only one day, they would do what they have always done. Where i was i saw police trucks driving around with the family in the back lobbing water.

Thailand has about 25.000 deadly traffic casualties every year.

25.000 / 365 = 68.5 average per day.

So seems normal.

Compared to death rates overseas, it's not so crazy. In the USA over the Songkran period approximately 150 people were shot to death. Are there statistics which indicate the percentage of victims who were riding scooters?

Edited by BermudaJack

So seems normal.

Compared to death rates overseas, it's not so crazy. In the USA over the Songkran period approximately 150 people were shot to death. Are there statistics which indicate the percentage of victims who were riding scooters?

Approx 82% of the victims were riding motorbikes, which is about the normal percentage.

I don't know what all the fuss is about,when you think about it most of the deaths are a result of drink driving or reckless driving.so after song krans natural selection process the roads will be that little bit safer for the rest of us.rip the innocent.

This discussion had been one of the best I have ever seen on Thai Visa. There has been a strong appreciation of the factors involved and the overwhelming result of the discussion is that Thais are well aware of what is going on. They prefer to keep the fun in Songkran as it is inherent in their nature.

So many of the Tais lead very difficult lives and are treated not as employees but as people who have been offered the priviledge of working for someone with poor working conditions as a result. That is the labour market here and it is not going to change soon.

The media love to report it and it would appear that enforcement of the law is increasing as a result but it is still really just a face saving measure in most parts of the country, you only have to drive around country towns to see that.

I am amazed, as some others are, that the number of accidents is not much higher when you see the way people drunk getting into drive pickups on the wrong side of the road and also the number of drunk motorcyclists (the number of deaths per number of people riding motorcycles is not much higher here than in other countries, it is just that there is a very high percentage of road users riding motorcycles).

Unfortunately the only way of decreasing the number of fatalities would be to affect the celebrations in a negative way by adopting a police state mentality and, given that these celebrations are so dear to the Thais, the fatalities really are just a part of life in this country.

Have it be ONE DAY.

...one day only. Not one and a half. One is the whole number between zero and two. New Year's eve is one night. Loy Kratong is one day. Songkran could be established as ONE DAY if Thai authorities agreed to that.

They won't they would loose to much revenue. Only 363 days till the next one. Everybody enjoy life for some it will be their last 363 days.

So seems normal.

So that's okay?

Where did I ever say that was OK? the point I thought was obvious Song Khran is NO MORE DANGEROUS than any other day based on the yearly average.

Have it be ONE DAY.

As at present the death toll doesn't increase, ttrying to get everyone to drive in a shorter period is very likely to INCREASE the overall death toll.

This is normal for Thailand. If they counted all road related deaths everyday the figures would be the same

i dont think thats possible with so many people traveling on holiday

According to WHO the daily average for the year is 65.7.....go figure.

This discussion had been one of the best I have ever seen on Thai Visa. There has been a strong appreciation of the factors involved and the overwhelming result of the discussion is that Thais are well aware of what is going on. They prefer to keep the fun in Songkran as it is inherent in their nature.

So many of the Tais lead very difficult lives and are treated not as employees but as people who have been offered the priviledge of working for someone with poor working conditions as a result. That is the labour market here and it is not going to change soon.

The media love to report it and it would appear that enforcement of the law is increasing as a result but it is still really just a face saving measure in most parts of the country, you only have to drive around country towns to see that.

I am amazed, as some others are, that the number of accidents is not much higher when you see the way people drunk getting into drive pickups on the wrong side of the road and also the number of drunk motorcyclists (the number of deaths per number of people riding motorcycles is not much higher here than in other countries, it is just that there is a very high percentage of road users riding motorcycles).

Unfortunately the only way of decreasing the number of fatalities would be to affect the celebrations in a negative way by adopting a police state mentality and, given that these celebrations are so dear to the Thais, the fatalities really are just a part of life in this country.

No too sure I agree with your last paragraph. This is what I posted on the Songkran thread and it is applicable here to.

'Okay, I think we are all agreed that traffic deaths in Thailand over the holiday period, and in general, is increasing year after year. There might be good reasons for this, like the number of vehicles on the road increases or more drunk drivers and so on. The problem is what to do about it. Well, a good start might be to allow a multinational team (including Thai members) to be allowed the data and conduct a serious study. Statistics might then highlight or point to major causes whereby the team make recommendations to the government and also be allowed to make their findings public. It is then the governments responsibility to do what it considers appropriate. If the government does nothing then all drivers, including foreigners who pay road tax, have a genuine reason to complain and indeed perhaps forums like this one might help in giving the government (whoever that might be at the time) a legal petition (no protests required). This would be a logical step, a proper, legal and constructive method.

Oh well, I suppose I will get replies like 'not going to happen...' and so on. Do I need to put on Armour, Ha!'

If something like a complete study was done, say starting from now, they'd have a few months to kick the stats around and come up with a genuine plan. For example, certain roads might have increased incidents; were there more from the south involved in incidents in the north and/or vice versa; were the drink driving related incidents because of a) drinking while driving or B) being intoxicated before starting to drive. But it would take an in depth study to find out because the overall figures only tell us if there are more or less accidents than previous years which is next to useless. Just deploying police on a ad hoc basis is just not going to be effective. With modern computer programs such a study wouldn't take that long and therefore not be expensive.

Right, who's going to volunteer? That is volunteer to ask the government to do it, Ha!biggrin.png

Have it be ONE DAY.

You dont have to play if you dont want to, and if Thais dont want to they wont play. All the ones i saw had smiles accross their faces and seemed to be loving the fun and time with their families.

Many of them work shitty dead end jobs all year and look forward to the enforced new year holiday. I am sure they would not be receptive if the fun police suddenly cut tradional Thai New Year to one day. I enjoy the long holiday to.

Outside of high profile places i think it would be irrelevant if police said water only one day, they would do what they have always done. Where i was i saw police trucks driving around with the family in the back lobbing water.

No one said to deny them a holiday. Rather it is more an attempt to get back to the original intent of spending quality time with loved ones. By all means keep all the days off. Just quit with the idiocy.

I consider Thai motorists to be the most inconsiderate , ignorant and unskilled I have ever experienced . These are the main reasons why there are so many fatalities on the Thai roads . Yet the authorities allow the carnage to continue without intervention or efforts to introduce driver education . It ain't rocket science as the western world can demonstrate .

There again I see a similar attitude when shopping and when I am about to get served a Thai will push their goods at the cashier and get served before me , not because I am a falang as they do it to other Thais . Another example , when playing golf the Thais sometimes have 5 or 6 players and play slow but they will rarely call you through, another failure in etiquette .

Sure many of you will have had similar experiences . Of course there are the exceptions .

The way i work it out,take out Songkran and 5 days of New Year and the daily average is 65,or 5 days at 325.So at 338,this is less than 3 a day extra compared to the the other 363 days.No big deal.

Edited by louse1953

It must be more difficult at Songkran to "speed"...simply cos the increased number of vehicles on the roads must slow everyone down.

So, maybe that accounts for the numbers being "normal".

there is also far less commercial traffic on the roads.

Have it be ONE DAY.

No one said to deny them a holiday. Rather it is more an attempt to get back to the original intent of spending quality time with loved ones. By all means keep all the days off. Just quit with the idiocy.

Maybe what you consider idiocy seems that Thai's do not. As i said everyone i saw was happy and smiling with the idiocy, i am sure if they did not enjoy it they would not do it.

Who are you, i or anyone else to tell the Thai's how to celebrate their New Year.

I consider Thai motorists to be the most inconsiderate , ignorant and unskilled I have ever experienced . These are the main reasons why there are so many fatalities on the Thai roads . Yet the authorities allow the carnage to continue without intervention or efforts to introduce driver education . It ain't rocket science as the western world can demonstrate .

There again I see a similar attitude when shopping and when I am about to get served a Thai will push their goods at the cashier and get served before me , not because I am a falang as they do it to other Thais . Another example , when playing golf the Thais sometimes have 5 or 6 players and play slow but they will rarely call you through, another failure in etiquette .

Sure many of you will have had similar experiences . Of course there are the exceptions .

no - unless the 5 Es are implemented there will be no significant change....motorists who find Thai motorists "inconsiderate , ignorant and unskilled" are just trying to superimpose their own "native" driving habits (not skills) on an alien driving environment.

I drive a lot more than most and find Thais are perfectly considerate and even predictable.....but not in the way you might expect at home.

as an example of a completely different driving culture, I used to drive a lot in Germany and they are probably the most courteous drivers in the world...unfortunately most Brits didn't understand the basic elements of their driving so come back with stories of being "told off" time and again by other drivers......that wouldn't happen in Thailand they are too polite.

Those who think that road safety in Thailand is solved by addressing single issues don't really seem to have a realistic perspective on the situation and are just kidding themselves

Edited by cumgranosalum

If you take road deaths per 100k vehicles then Thailand is a long way down the list with about 75 deaths per 100k vehicles

Who cares about India

The way i work it out,take out Songkran and 5 days of New Year and the daily average is 65,or 5 days at 325.So at 338,this is less than 3 a day extra compared to the the other 363 days.No big deal.

I really don't understand you guys. Surely, deaths of this magnitude on a daily basis is a terrible situation that the government fails to address, whether it's songkran or any other day. To state no big deal is inappropriate, IMO. I just hope none of your family become a no big deal statistic.

You ain't seen nothing until you have been in Indian traffic.I have been here for 12 days and there are no rules what so ever and no policing.Just this morning in Patna,up the wrong side of the main road for 5 klms,everybody,because our side was blocked by trucks.The auto driver said this was "normal"every day.No body gives an inch and the hand is on the horn constantly.Fortunately,traffic is slow,so not a near death experience.I have been travelling by train,which has been a pleasure,but have run out of track,so it's on the bus for a few days,which should be interesting.

Who cares about India

Well i do,because i am here.After being scared by my 1st experience 40 years ago,i have now found this to be a great country,great people.