SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

Who in their right minds is going to take notice of Lagarde.

Exactly the same thing could be said about anyone that voices an opinion.

It may come as a surprise to you but as head of the IMF her opinion counts a bit more than most.

It would be a different story if the UK end up going to the IMF for financial support.

Perhaps if the UK was not handing money hand over fist to the IMF, the UK's finances would be in much better shape.

The UK is to increase its subscription to the International Monetary Fund by more than £9bn - almost doubling the amount it is lending the organisation.

It currently provides £10.54bn, reflecting the size of the UK economy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-13782929

Add up all the other contributions that the UK is coerced into paying out and the UK would actually be in a great place if could learn to get rid of its self loathing and learn to say - NO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to understand that Christine Lagarde, and others of that ilk, are first, and foremost, politicians.

They play to vested interests (after taking care of their own interests, of course). Christine will always

have on eye on her career beyond the IMF. Do I hear French Presidency, anyone?

Trade deals sound to me like they are being over played, from what I have seen/ read the trade in goods are about 8% of GDP while this is still a lot of money the other 32% would therefore be in services like banking.

It's worth pointing out that foreign banks resident in the UK are passported to operate within the EU. If however the UK is no longer a member state that passport becomes void and the banks will have to relocate to a member state in order to continue to do business there - the impact of that could be enormous.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e90885d8-d3db-11e5-829b-8564e7528e54.html

There is no real alternative to the City of London, where many very large banks have their European headquarters. In fact more large banks are, or intend to move to London.

Personally I'm not a fan of Boris Johnson, yet have to admit he knows one or two things about the City, and surely has the pulse of how the banks think.

I can only state again that if those foreign banks that are headquartered in London, wish to continue to do business in the EU, under EU regulations they will be required, in the event of Brexit, to relocate their headquarters into a member state.

I think that you are flogging a dead horse on that one. It would appear that EU regulations mean very little to the leave brigade, they seem to be of the opinion that we can leave the EU and carry on working in the same way as now.

The only way that any function subject to EU regulations could continue to operate as they do now would be for the UK to draft its own legislation that was acceptable to the EU.

I would tend to agree with your point, that many entities would not wait on the UK to get its act together and just move on.

I'm pretty sure the thickos outnumber the intelligentsia in the UK.

I'm worried though, that their attention span might not match the worthies who have been bestowed with critical thinking abilities during their time at uni getting a 2:2 in street mime.

I just hope they can drag themselves away from Eastenders or whippet fancying or whatever it is that the great unwashed do, in order to vote on the 23rd.

My internet access has been down for a couple of days following an overhead storm, and I hadn't intended commenting until reaching the end of all the missed posts but - (Oi !) Whippets are lovely dogs and those of us who love them aren't necessarily 'thickos"!

For me, I have been pulled toward remain by the deluge of expert opinion but pulled toward Brexit by the revelations about our useless border service that fails to track departures and arrivals

Genuine request (on the basis that I missed in the previous 30 pages):-

I haven't remotely been pulled towards 'remain' but would welcome a list reference points or expert opinion.

I repeat, this is a genuine request to see if such opinion balances my inherent instincts to exit. I accept the basic economic risks associated with exit - at least in the short-term but the likes of Carney scare-mongering about recession do nothing to make me say "best we stay in then".

I suggest you read The Economist's extensive coverage. I have heard nobody suggesting they are biased

I thought I did, albeit on another thread? In short, they are part of the Establishment.

We have to understand that Christine Lagarde, and others of that ilk, are first, and foremost, politicians.

They play to vested interests (after taking care of their own interests, of course). Christine will always

have on eye on her career beyond the IMF. Do I hear French Presidency, anyone?

Didn't realise she had been taking lessons from Boris Johnson.

To date, about 2/3 of Brits in this TV poll say they support Brexit.

What can one conclude from this?

Not much!

Maybe Brits who now live in Thailand have a more buccaneering spirit? More independent? Not reliant upon a Sterling income, do not have higher education?

None of the above. The sample is too small(but fun!)

I'm suprised by this as I would have assumed most expats living in Thailand are worried about the possibility of sterling falling, affecting their retirement income.

Presumably, most are just 'voicing' their thoughts without any intention of voting?

I hope Poland will quit.

Look what happens, polish right wing wins elections in huge majority.

Poland says they will not accept any refugees at all, after Paris attacks.

Remember EU quotas?

EU parlimet starts procedure of observing democracy in Poland.

Fine them, and says for every refused refugee we pay 250k eur.

They really hate on nationalists, want to destroy every country like Germany etc.

They have problem :)

At the end of the day, nobody knows what will happen if the vote is Brexit. There are only opinions.

As 'leave' negotiations would take a while (and encourage other populations to force an in/out vote), it could result in the EU finally reforming itself.

And no, I don't believe for one minute that the EU will reform itself until faced with a likely disintegration.

For me, I have been pulled toward remain by the deluge of expert opinion but pulled toward Brexit by the revelations about our useless border service that fails to track departures and arrivals

Genuine request (on the basis that I missed in the previous 30 pages):-

I haven't remotely been pulled towards 'remain' but would welcome a list reference points or expert opinion.

I repeat, this is a genuine request to see if such opinion balances my inherent instincts to exit. I accept the basic economic risks associated with exit - at least in the short-term but the likes of Carney scare-mongering about recession do nothing to make me say "best we stay in then".

I suggest you read The Economist's extensive coverage. I have heard nobody suggesting they are biased

I thought I did, albeit on another thread? In short, they are part of the Establishment.

When paranoia is that advanced I have to leave you to it

Are you one of these "preppers" preparing for when the state is out to get you?

Go on, tell me why you think The Economist can't be trusted?

I hope Poland will quit.

Remember EU quotas?

They really hate on nationalists, want to destroy every country like Germany etc.

They have problem smile.png

You folks just don't get it do you.

I guess not old enough to remember or could not be bothered to read the history

I am telling you that a fundamentally benign organisation is far preferable than competing nationalistic nation states in Europe.

Terribly dangerous situation.

and you sign off with a smiley. Jesus

Edited by Grouse

I hope Poland will quit.

Remember EU quotas?

I am telling you that a fundamentally benign organisation is far preferable than competing nationalistic nation states in Europe.

Just b cuz you says so mr. Leftist smile.png

Go and tell that to them:

Dont worry about it we know our and euro history pretty well, we are nacionalists remember? smile.png

And you should be thankfull cuz if it was not our King Jan III Sobieski you all would be muslims now smile.png

And dont get it wrong, right ppl are welcomed, and there is a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

http://uticaphoenix.net/king-jan-iii-sobieski-defeating-the-turks-and-saving-christianity-1683/

https://youtu.be/W6tiGU1FBSU

Edited by BeefSlapper

When paranoia is that advanced I have to leave you to it

Are you one of these "preppers" preparing for when the state is out to get you?

Go on, tell me why you think The Economist can't be trusted?

I thought I did?

Sorry, I can't be bothered to 'play' with you as I'm way too paranoid.

Edited by dick dasterdly

I hope Poland will quit.

Remember EU quotas?

Just b cuz you says so mr. Leftist smile.png

Go and tell that to them:

Dont worry about it we know our and euro history pretty well, we are nacionalists remember? smile.png

And you should be thankfull cuz if it was not our King Jan III Sobieski you all would be muslims now smile.png

And dont get it wrong, right ppl are welcomed, and there is a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

http://uticaphoenix.net/king-jan-iii-sobieski-defeating-the-turks-and-saving-christianity-1683/

https://youtu.be/W6tiGU1FBSU

You want people treated the way you Poles were treated following the Molotov/Ribbentrop pact?

Tell me, who was worse? Stalin or Hitler?

What ARE you saying

Life in Poland has been pretty damn good after the end of the Warsaw pact

You've had massive support from us

Instead of going after the Germans and the EU why don't you get back the 50% of your country still occupied by Russia?

BTW it was the Americans who sold you out after the war. Gave Stalin half your lands without a murmur much to Churchill's disgust

Another 306 uneducated people have came out in support of Brexit.

More than 300 business leaders are calling on Britain to vote to leave the European Union, saying that the countrys competitiveness is being undermined by our membership.

Signatories of the letter include Peter Goldstein, a founder of Superdrug, Steve Dowdle, the former vice president Europe of technology firm Sony, David Sismey, a MD of Goldman Sachs and Sir Patrick Sheehy, the former chairman of British American Tobacco.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/eu-referendum-more-than-300-business-leaders-back-a-brexit/

I'm still waiting for an answer

Why do you conclude that all these people are uneducated? It's a pretty bold statement

Some might take offence!

You want people treated the way you Poles were treated following the Molotov/Ribbentrop pact?

What ARE you saying

Instead of going after the Germans and the EU why don't you get back the 50% of your country still occupied by Russia?

BTW it was the Americans who sold you out after the war. Gave Stalin half your lands without a murmur much to Churchill's disgust

At Yalta, Churchill agreed that Stalin should keep the Soviet gains Hitler agreed to in the Nazi–Soviet Pact, including Kresy, and carry out Polish population transfers. Consequently, Churchill had agreed that tens of thousands of veteran Polish troops under British command should lose their Kresy homes to the Soviet Union.[37] In reaction, thirty officers and men from the II Corps committed suicide.
Churchill defended his actions in a three-day Parliamentary debate starting 27 February 1945, which ended in a vote of confidence. During the debate, many MPs openly criticised Churchill and passionately voiced loyalty to Britain's Polish allies and expressed deep reservations about Yalta.[38] Moreover, 25 of these MPs risked their careers to draft an amendment protesting against Britain's tacit acceptance of Poland's domination by the Soviet Union

Another 306 uneducated people have came out in support of Brexit.

More than 300 business leaders are calling on Britain to vote to leave the European Union, saying that the countrys competitiveness is being undermined by our membership.

Signatories of the letter include Peter Goldstein, a founder of Superdrug, Steve Dowdle, the former vice president Europe of technology firm Sony, David Sismey, a MD of Goldman Sachs and Sir Patrick Sheehy, the former chairman of British American Tobacco.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/eu-referendum-more-than-300-business-leaders-back-a-brexit/

I'm still waiting for an answer

Why do you conclude that all these people are uneducated? It's a pretty bold statement

Some might take offence!

One is satire and pee take, the other a tool to belittle the opposition, outside of the mainstream argument.

Move on, we passed that point.

What ARE you saying

At Yalta, Churchill agreed that Stalin should keep the Soviet gains Hitler agreed to in the NaziSoviet Pact, including Kresy, and carry out Polish population transfers. Consequently, Churchill had agreed that tens of thousands of veteran Polish troops under British command should lose their Kresy homes to the Soviet Union.[37] In reaction, thirty officers and men from the II Corps committed suicide.

Churchill defended his actions in a three-day Parliamentary debate starting 27 February 1945, which ended in a vote of confidence. During the debate, many MPs openly criticised Churchill and passionately voiced loyalty to Britain's Polish allies and expressed deep reservations about Yalta.[38] Moreover, 25 of these MPs risked their careers to draft an amendment protesting against Britain's tacit acceptance of Poland's domination by the Soviet Union

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_betrayal

We can debate the fine detail but somewhat off topic. The situation actually predates Yalta. Churchill was essentially sandbagged by Roosevelt concerning the post war carve up. I'll look up the references and revert. Also well covered in a Polish history I have. The original plan was to have the polish government in exile returned to power but that was quashed by the USSR.

I appreciate your detailed history. Thank you.

Trade deals sound to me like they are being over played, from what I have seen/ read the trade in goods are about 8% of GDP while this is still a lot of money the other 32% would therefore be in services like banking.

It's worth pointing out that foreign banks resident in the UK are passported to operate within the EU. If however the UK is no longer a member state that passport becomes void and the banks will have to relocate to a member state in order to continue to do business there - the impact of that could be enormous.

Your link to the FT gives a rather balanced view with as many of the city institution's saying brexit would be good as those saying it would be bad.

I did see that the banking sector is about 10% of our GDP.

My thought has to be that Switzerland in the middle of Europe has a massive banking sector and are doing very well without being in the EU, so your comment sounds to me like another scare story.

Can you give me an unbiased link to where it says the banks will have to relocate.

Edit, ok just reread the link JP Morgan boss was the quote, next paragraph imply's a maybe to his qoute.

Edited by Thaiwine

Your link to the FT gives a rather balanced view with as many of the city institution's saying brexit would be good as those saying it would be bad.

My thought has to be that Switzerland in the middle of Europe has a massive banking sector and are doing very well without being in the EU, so your comment sounds to me like another scare story.

Can you give me an unbiased link to where it says the banks will have to relocate.

I don't agree at all with your analysis of the FT piece. I read it as the city is massively against Brexit. I also note that city is as big a contributor to our GDP as the whole of our manufacturing sector.

Just in case I missed a post where this link was already provided, then please accept my apology.

Otherwise: BREXIT THE MOVIE is a feature-length documentary film to inspire as many people as possible to vote to LEAVE the EU in the June 23rd referendum.

Just one serious question: Does anybody in this forum know how many European Presidents there are... Without looking it up on Wikipedia? wink.png

Feel free to list them in a reply.

Edit, ok just reread the link JP Morgan boss was the quote, next paragraph imply's a maybe to his qoute.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/brexit-would-lead-to-loss-of-100000-bank-jobs-says-city-a3124661.html

Im very much a European first, then Scottish, then British. I hold all these identities quite comfortably without any level of upset (im just as happy being British as i am Scottish, i just identify more with being Scottish primarily if that makes sense).

But a couple of things have changed my notion and made me support leaving.

First, the treatment of Greece by the ECB. As a lefty, it was painful to watch. Of course they need to pay their debts, but austerity wasnt working. Now that those measures are starting to be implemented, Greece is about to plunge into the abyss. Its not simply a case of treating people with disdain, its about just how much power a non-democratically elected body (the ECB) should have over the financial mechanisms of a democratically elected government. It was brutal, severe, and merciless. At a stroke it killed my desire to see a united Europe. Local, it seems, is better.

2. I read somewhere, i forget, a few weeks back in the pro-EU argument that of the last 450,000 jobs created in the UK, over half (i think it was around 255,000) went to immigrants. Im pro immigration. Im a migrant so it would be flagrant hypocrisy not to be. Still, it gives you pause for thought. 10% of new jobs, sure. 20%... less sure. But over 50% suggests one of two things: either we no longer have a workforce skilled to do these jobs, or worse, these jobs are in the black market economy and will invariably drive down wages and benefits. Clearly these folks wont belong to a union, and clearly this will reduce bargaining power to hold business to account. It genuinely worries me that rights our parents and grandparents literally had to die for are being eroded piece by piece in a race to the bottom.

I am English and proud to be.
I am also a Yorkshireman and proud to be.

Way down on my list is feeling like I am a European.

Europeans in the main do not think like we do. We are an island race made up from our own indiginous people as well as white (historic) invaders from Scandinavia and northern Europe.

My father and many relatives fought in WW2 to keep the Nazis and others at bay from this wonderful land of ours. Victory came with a high price from many nationalities (never forgetting the commonwealth citizens) who died for peace, freedom and to free us from the shackles of tyranny.

Tyranny.
That is what the unelected people in the E.U. want, not only for us in the U.K. but also for others in the E.U.
The E.U. want to rule over us.
The E.U. already have too much say in our daily lives from the power of vacuum cleaners through to what our courts can and cannot do. The E.U. says who we can and cannot deport. We have terrorist, rapist, murderers, muggers and many others who cannot be deported thanks to E.U. meddling.

Our Steel industry cannot be saved thanks to E.U. rules.

Many small business are being stifled by rules, regulations and red tape.

Then there are the refugees economic immigrants.
We are being TOLD what we can and cannot do with regards to them. And if the U.K. votes to stay in the E.U. we will have less say on the matter.
Millions of Turks are waiting to invade. (let Merkel keep them).
Poles and many others coming here to the U.K. claiming benefits and having money sent back for their children who are in their own countries.

The health service is floundering under the weight of these invaders. Doctors surgeries cannot cope.
In some schools there are over 20 languages spoken.

Luckily, we still have some small say in keeping these invaders out but that will no longer be the case if we stay in the E.U.

Sweden, Germany and other countries report rapes of six year old children and others by these Syrian / Afghani and other immigrant invaders. They defacate in swimming pools. They treat our women like dirt. Sharia law courts operate here.
Many european invaders cannot be sent back home after rape / murder and other serious crimes because we have no power to do so.

The economy.
We can trade with ANY country we wish, as we wish, when we leave the E.U. Right now, we cannot. And if the misguided vote to stay IN the E.U. we will have further restrictions laid at our door. Our businesses will have to do as they are told.
Oh, dear, some people seem to believe the £ will tank. (Maybe in the short term it will), but the U.K. economy is the strongest in Europe.
Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth countries have said they will be happy to trade with us.
Europe in general will also trade with us if we leave.

So much more, but I am stopping except to mention the billions of £ we will save by leaving.

VOTE OUT !!!
You know it makes sense.

The Daily Mail, Daily Express and Breitbart London (on the web) are at least trying to tell the people the truth.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/brexit-would-lead-to-loss-of-100000-bank-jobs-says-city-a3124661.html

I haven't seen any later rallying call on that 6 month old piece of journalism.

The banks' can simply change their HQ - HSBC did it after the takeover of Midland in 1992; it gave them a bolthole from Hong Kong just in case the Chinese handover went tits up.

I am English and proud to be.

I am also a Yorkshireman and proud to be.

Way down on my list is feeling like I am a European.

Europeans in the main do not think like we do. We are an island race made up from our own indiginous people as well as white (historic) invaders from Scandinavia and northern Europe.

My father and many relatives fought in WW2 to keep the Nazis and others at bay from this wonderful land of ours. Victory came with a high price from many nationalities (never forgetting the commonwealth citizens) who died for peace, freedom and to free us from the shackles of tyranny.

Tyranny.

That is what the unelected people in the E.U. want, not only for us in the U.K. but also for others in the E.U.

The E.U. want to rule over us.

The E.U. already have too much say in our daily lives from the power of vacuum cleaners through to what our courts can and cannot do. The E.U. says who we can and cannot deport. We have terrorist, rapist, murderers, muggers and many others who cannot be deported thanks to E.U. meddling.

Our Steel industry cannot be saved thanks to E.U. rules.

Many small business are being stifled by rules, regulations and red tape.

Then there are the refugees economic immigrants.

We are being TOLD what we can and cannot do with regards to them. And if the U.K. votes to stay in the E.U. we will have less say on the matter.

Millions of Turks are waiting to invade. (let Merkel keep them).

Poles and many others coming here to the U.K. claiming benefits and having money sent back for their children who are in their own countries.

The health service is floundering under the weight of these invaders. Doctors surgeries cannot cope.

In some schools there are over 20 languages spoken.

Luckily, we still have some small say in keeping these invaders out but that will no longer be the case if we stay in the E.U.

Sweden, Germany and other countries report rapes of six year old children and others by these Syrian / Afghani and other immigrant invaders. They defacate in swimming pools. They treat our women like dirt. Sharia law courts operate here.

Many european invaders cannot be sent back home after rape / murder and other serious crimes because we have no power to do so.

The economy.

We can trade with ANY country we wish, as we wish, when we leave the E.U. Right now, we cannot. And if the misguided vote to stay IN the E.U. we will have further restrictions laid at our door. Our businesses will have to do as they are told.

Oh, dear, some people seem to believe the £ will tank. (Maybe in the short term it will), but the U.K. economy is the strongest in Europe.

Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth countries have said they will be happy to trade with us.

Europe in general will also trade with us if we leave.

So much more, but I am stopping except to mention the billions of £ we will save by leaving.

VOTE OUT !!!

You know it makes sense.

The Daily Mail, Daily Express and Breitbart London (on the web) are at least trying to tell the people the truth.

I enjoyed your post very much, WhamBam, partly because I agree with a lot of the sentiment it contains,

but mostly because it is passionate, heartfelt and sincere. Many of the posts on this subject have been

dispassionate, some scholarly even, but, for me, there has been no fire until now. Well done!