SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

We are a sovereign nation, why pay 365 million a day to be dragged down to equality with 3rd world countries and ruled from Brussels?

365M what?

UK net contribution is about 24M GBP per day

Please supply source.....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a sovereign nation, why pay 365 million a day to be dragged down to equality with 3rd world countries and ruled from Brussels?

Perhaps a typo OS, do you want to reconsider the number perhaps!

365M what?

UK pays a lot of money to take care of others in the EU....Have a read..https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Looks about right to me 8.5B/365 = 23.29M per day NET

There is an interesting sidebar to the Brexit discussion, as cited by Bloomberg.

Seemingly, according to recent polls, it is not the economic argument which has been put

forward by the (so-called experts) which is winning the day for the "in" campaign. It is rather

that negative thoughts and concerns regarding Britain's security in the European Union have

tilted the balance toward the "out" campaign in this particular respect. This despite Mark Carney,

Christine Lagarde, and others, banging the drum and opining on the negative economic aspects

of a Brexit. Thus, it is no longer "it's the economy, stupid", but "it's our security, stupid" which

will have to become the catch-phrase.

The Establishment are going to have a lot more difficulty in making a convincing argument

that the United Kingdom is more secure, in the EU, going forward, it would seem.

As the bookies have REMAIN at 4/1 ON, there is little point in any serious debate.

Those not already polarised are not going to be swayed by the dogma and statistics on here. Unless.....................

13178880_1095294210530356_90416069917085

365M what?

UK pays a lot of money to take care of others in the EU....Have a read..https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Looks about right to me 8.5B/365 = 23.29M per day NET

If anybody is still awake....

UK GDP is ABOUT 2 Trillion GBP that's a million million

EU net contribution is roughly 0.425% of GDP. That doesn't keep me awake at night....

NHS costs 15x that.....

Cheer up!

I finally found a financial benefit to Brexit: expat pensioners in the EU would likely have their state pensions frozen as a result, just like us!

Now that's a savings worth having I reckon!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/expat-pensioners-in-eu-will-be-50000-poorer-in-event-of-brexit/

Gawd all mighty, can nobody else come up with some tangible cost benefits that result from Brexit instead of just rhetoric - um no, not 365 mill/day or even remotely similar?

365M what?

2015 Uk gross contributions are approximately £64,000,000 per day, from this large amount, a much smaller amount is spent in the UK on many different projects. e.g payment to the BBC and to certain universities( why do you think they are pro EU ) As a Yorkshireman you should know about the Earth centre At Conisbrough Nr Doncaster. This white Elephant was constructed at a cost of over £45,000,000,opening in 2002 closed through lack of interest in 2004. Just another example of tax payers money being wasted on things that the people did not want or need. Although It did enable the EU to erect a large sign at the side of the road saying "Made with contributions from the E.U"

The latest estimates for our nett contributions is approximately over £40,000,000 per day. A figure I'm sure you will agree could be better spent on creating extra school places and helping out our besieged NHS.

I finally found a financial benefit to Brexit: expat pensioners in the EU would likely have their state pensions frozen as a result, just like us!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/expat-pensioners-in-eu-will-be-50000-poorer-in-event-of-brexit/

Gawd all mighty, can nobody else come up with some tangible cost benefits that result from Brexit instead of just rhetoric - um no, not 365 mill/day or even remotely similar?

It does not say,"would likely have their pensions frozen", it says "

Could" result in their pensions being frozen. Not exactly the same thing,unless you are wanting to add to all the scare stories.

A Britexit would probably result in those Already living in the EU,keeping their index pensions. An anomaly, granted. However If this did happen,it could possible,and no more than that,open the door for those on frozen pensions in the rest of the world.

Edited by nontabury

Could" result in their pensions being frozen. Not exactly the same thing,unless you are wanting to add to all the scare stories.

A Britexit would probably result in those Already living in the EU,keeping their index pensions. An anomaly, granted. However If this did happen,it could possible open the door for those on frozen pensions in the rest of the world.

They would also lose their free healthcare.

365M what?

2015 Uk gross contributions are approximately £64,000,000 per day, from this large amount, a much smaller amount is spent in the UK on many different projects. e.g payment to the BBC and to certain universities( why do you think they are pro EU ) As a Yorkshireman you should know about the Earth centre At Conisbrough Nr Doncaster. This white Elephant was constructed at a cost of over £45,000,000,opening in 2002 closed through lack of interest in 2004. Just another example of tax payers money being wasted on things that the people did not want or need. Although It did enable the EU to erect a large sign at the side of the road saying "Made with contributions from the E.U"

The latest estimates for our nett contributions is approximately over £40,000,000 per day. A figure I'm sure you will agree could be better spent on creating extra school places and helping out our besieged NHS.

Let's use numbers from proper sources. 24M net contribution per day is about right.

Yes it's a great deal of money but it's not a die in a ditch issue either

You think our first class universities are pro EU because of research funding? I think that's a bit naive.

I'm also sure there are many white elephant projects. How does one protect against that?

Look, 0.4% of GDP for all the benefits we receive is not unreasonable

I also think the security case is now clear

Why not concentrate on the migrant issue where you have a point?.....

A Britexit would probably result in those Already living in the EU,keeping their index pensions. An anomaly, granted. However If this did happen,it could possible open the door for those on frozen pensions in the rest of the world.

Not according to this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12177399/EU-Facts-What-would-leaving-the-EU-mean-for-expats.html

365M what?

Let's use numbers from proper sources. 24M net contribution per day is about right.

You think our first class universities are pro EU because of research funding? I think that's a bit naive.

I'm also sure there are many white elephant projects. How does one protect against that?

But here's a thing

You mention the Conisbrough white elephant...

I worked on the Thryburgh bar mill in 1972

Last production in February this year

State of the art

Why?

Now THAT would be a sensible discussion ?

Not according to this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12177399/EU-Facts-What-would-leaving-the-EU-mean-for-expats.html

The article says it is possible. It argues that there are 3m EU expats in the UK with access to NHS at the moment but this doesn't seem to to take into account that many of those pay taxes here as opposed to retirees in Spain and also one on of the aims of Brexit was surely to reduce these immigrant numbers. It also points out that the UK pays a large sum for the healthcare of these expat retirees at present but no explanation why it should continue doing this when there is no obligation to do so should we leave.

I am English and proud to be.

I am also a Yorkshireman and proud to be.

Way down on my list is feeling like I am a European.

Europeans in the main do not think like we do. We are an island race made up from our own indiginous people as well as white (historic) invaders from Scandinavia and northern Europe.

My father and many relatives fought in WW2 to keep the Nazis and others at bay from this wonderful land of ours. Victory came with a high price from many nationalities (never forgetting the commonwealth citizens) who died for peace, freedom and to free us from the shackles of tyranny.

Tyranny.

That is what the unelected people in the E.U. want, not only for us in the U.K. but also for others in the E.U.

The E.U. want to rule over us.

The E.U. already have too much say in our daily lives from the power of vacuum cleaners through to what our courts can and cannot do. The E.U. says who we can and cannot deport. We have terrorist, rapist, murderers, muggers and many others who cannot be deported thanks to E.U. meddling.

Our Steel industry cannot be saved thanks to E.U. rules.

Many small business are being stifled by rules, regulations and red tape.

Then there are the refugees economic immigrants.

We are being TOLD what we can and cannot do with regards to them. And if the U.K. votes to stay in the E.U. we will have less say on the matter.

Millions of Turks are waiting to invade. (let Merkel keep them).

Poles and many others coming here to the U.K. claiming benefits and having money sent back for their children who are in their own countries.

The health service is floundering under the weight of these invaders. Doctors surgeries cannot cope.

In some schools there are over 20 languages spoken.

Luckily, we still have some small say in keeping these invaders out but that will no longer be the case if we stay in the E.U.

Sweden, Germany and other countries report rapes of six year old children and others by these Syrian / Afghani and other immigrant invaders. They defacate in swimming pools. They treat our women like dirt. Sharia law courts operate here.

Many european invaders cannot be sent back home after rape / murder and other serious crimes because we have no power to do so.

The economy.

We can trade with ANY country we wish, as we wish, when we leave the E.U. Right now, we cannot. And if the misguided vote to stay IN the E.U. we will have further restrictions laid at our door. Our businesses will have to do as they are told.

Oh, dear, some people seem to believe the £ will tank. (Maybe in the short term it will), but the U.K. economy is the strongest in Europe.

Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth countries have said they will be happy to trade with us.

Europe in general will also trade with us if we leave.

So much more, but I am stopping except to mention the billions of £ we will save by leaving.

VOTE OUT !!!

You know it makes sense.

The Daily Mail, Daily Express and Breitbart London (on the web) are at least trying to tell the people the truth.

I would agree that both sides have their arguments however the leave group should be happy you are not their spokesman . You lost all credibility after the UK is the strongest economy in Europe....and the Daily Mail tells the truth lol

At least The Mail and Breitbart along with the Express are not pandering to the governments wishes in telling Cameron's version of the truth with his vote fear campaigns. You get to hear what IDS, Boris, Gove and others have to say.

Unlike, for example, the BBC who hardly ever give the public a broad spectrum. The BBC pander to the governments wishes.

What nonsense!

Do you listen to any serious Radio 4 programs?

You should

Radio 4. Part of the Biased Broadcasting Company?

Now THAt is a joke.

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Camoron now says ISIS will be happy if we vote for BREXIT.

The man is a joke.

Recently he said BREXIT would lead to WW3.

It has also been mooted that the U.K. leaving the E.U. would lead to wars and instability.

Let me see, who in the last 100 odd years have started wars in Europe.......

Not Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Poland, U.K. and many others.

Germany ! Ah yes, the land of Merkel and company. I seem to recall Germany might have started the odd little war or two.

So where is this threat of conflict coming from?

Look at Spain. An E.U. member and also a NATO member.

They harass and try to prevent a U.S. submarine from entering Gibraltar. They regularly cause problems for British vessels too.

Yet this is one or our 'wonderful' E.U. allies.

Look at France and their attitude ..... on the other hand, maybe not laugh.png

What many forget is that many european countries would like to shit on us from a great height. (I preclude Norway, Denmark, Holland and Sweden from this - as we seem to get on well with them and vice-versa).

It seems that when we do vote BREXIT, we are going to be in need of plenty of Lend-Lease from the USA - oh but wait...... Obummer, their president, is not happy we are considering leaving the E.U. Yet he will not open the border with Mexico to let all those people in. He will not allow Mexico to make laws for the USA. Yet he believes differently from us. He looks like and acts like a t*rd. Well, thank heavens he will not be around much longer.

Vote TRUMP - he seems to know better cheesy.gif

And while we are at it..... can WE send some people over the pond to tell the Americans how to live their lives and be able to interfere with their laws?

Angelina Jolie - OMG - another American sticking her nose into our affairs re immigrants. Let her campaign instead to allow millions of Mexicans into the gool old U.S. of A.

"The country, along with the rest in the Schengen, was ordered by Brussels to accept thousands of migrants or face a £195,000 fine (€250,000) per person rejected."

This from Hungary who are voting on whether to let more migrants into their country. Hungary feel they are being bullied by the E.U. Now, who would have thought that the E.U would try to force such a thing through? And this coming from elected representatives? NO.

We do need to vote OUT to stop our own beautiful country being under an E.U. dictatorship.

IMHO of course tongue.png

A Britexit would probably result in those Already living in the EU,keeping their index pensions. An anomaly, granted. However If this did happen,it could possible,and no more than that,open the door for those on frozen pensions in the rest of the world.

It does mean the same thing.

Unless I am mistaken it was posted in the pensions thread recently that the UK government is not prepared to enter into any more negotiations in respect of reciprocal agreements.

I know what you are going to say, that you cannot believe anything they say. But these are the people that you are confident can lead the UK in a global environment.

365M what?

But here's a thing

State of the art

Why?

Now THAT would be a sensible discussion [emoji53]

The Conisborgh Earth centre a waste of tax payers money by the EU.

Yet the EU would not allow tax payers money to save the Thryburgh bar mill.

That's all there is to discuss.

Europeans in the main do not think like we do. We are an island race made up from our own indiginous people as well as white (historic) invaders from Scandinavia and northern Europe.

My father and many relatives fought in WW2 to keep the Nazis and others at bay from this wonderful land of ours. Victory came with a high price from many nationalities (never forgetting the commonwealth citizens) who died for peace, freedom and to free us from the shackles of tyranny.

Tyranny.

That is what the unelected people in the E.U. want, not only for us in the U.K. but also for others in the E.U.

The E.U. already have too much say in our daily lives from the power of vacuum cleaners through to what our courts can and cannot do. The E.U. says who we can and cannot deport. We have terrorist, rapist, murderers, muggers and many others who cannot be deported thanks to E.U. meddling.

We are being TOLD what we can and cannot do with regards to them. And if the U.K. votes to stay in the E.U. we will have less say on the matter.

Poles and many others coming here to the U.K. claiming benefits and having money sent back for their children who are in their own countries.

The health service is floundering under the weight of these invaders. Doctors surgeries cannot cope.

Luckily, we still have some small say in keeping these invaders out but that will no longer be the case if we stay in the E.U.

Sweden, Germany and other countries report rapes of six year old children and others by these Syrian / Afghani and other immigrant invaders. They defacate in swimming pools. They treat our women like dirt. Sharia law courts operate here.

Many european invaders cannot be sent back home after rape / murder and other serious crimes because we have no power to do so.

The economy.

We can trade with ANY country we wish, as we wish, when we leave the E.U. Right now, we cannot. And if the misguided vote to stay IN the E.U. we will have further restrictions laid at our door. Our businesses will have to do as they are told.

Oh, dear, some people seem to believe the £ will tank. (Maybe in the short term it will), but the U.K. economy is the strongest in Europe.

Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth countries have said they will be happy to trade with us.

So much more, but I am stopping except to mention the billions of £ we will save by leaving.

VOTE OUT !!!

You know it makes sense.

The Daily Mail, Daily Express and Breitbart London (on the web) are at least trying to tell the people the truth.

I would agree that both sides have their arguments however the leave group should be happy you are not their spokesman . You lost all credibility after the UK is the strongest economy in Europe....and the Daily Mail tells the truth lol

At least The Mail and Breitbart along with the Express are not pandering to the governments wishes in telling Cameron's version of the truth with his vote fear campaigns. You get to hear what IDS, Boris, Gove and others have to say.

Unlike, for example, the BBC who hardly ever give the public a broad spectrum. The BBC pander to the governments wishes.

What nonsense!

You should

Now THAt is a joke.

In which direction would you say the BBC is biased?

The government is pushing for changes to the BBC charter so that it has more government appointees on the governing board with a view to reducing anti government bias

Labour reckons the BBC is anti the Corbyn led party

Meanwhile, the BBC is famous world wide for its LACK of bias

I was told yesterday that The Economist is biased

BONKERS!

Edited by Grouse

365M what?

But here's a thing

State of the art

Why?

Now THAT would be a sensible discussion [emoji53]

The Conisborgh Earth centre a waste of tax payers money by the EU.

Yet the EU would not allow tax payers money to save the Thryburgh bar mill.

That's all there is to discuss.

It just seems to me that industrial support is one area where we seem quite weak in our influence in the EU

I don't really understand why that is the case

We could have used much more leverage

Seems we are more interested in keeping the Chinese on board

Our steel industry certainly used to be world class. Particularly special steels

If we were out of the EU would we support such a strategic industry or would we still allow the Chinese to call the shots?

"The country, along with the rest in the Schengen, was ordered by Brussels to accept thousands of migrants or face a £195,000 fine (250,000) per person rejected."

This from Hungary who are voting on whether to let more migrants into their country. Hungary feel they are being bullied by the E.U. Now, who would have thought that the E.U would try to force such a thing through? And this coming from elected representatives? NO.

We do need to vote OUT to stop our own beautiful country being under an E.U. dictatorship.

IMHO of course tongue.png

So Whambam, what would you suggest doing about the refugee crisis? Separately, in this age of global media, what would you do about economic migration?

I'm all ears!

Tyranny.

The economy.

VOTE OUT !!!

You know it makes sense.

What nonsense!

You should

Now THAt is a joke.

In which direction would you say the BBC is biased?

The government is pushing for changes to the BBC charter so that it has more government appointees on the governing board with a view to reducing anti government bias

Labour reckons the BBC is anti the Corbyn led party

Meanwhile, the BBC is famous world wide for its LACK of bias

I was told yesterday that The Economist is biased

BONKERS!

It occurs that BBC staff are probably well educated. Not necessarily Oxbridge these days but certainly top of the tree.

Just maybe, a majority of their editors, researchers and presenters are pro EU?

Just a thought.....

As the bookies have REMAIN at 4/1 ON, there is little point in any serious debate.

Those not already polarised are not going to be swayed by the dogma and statistics on here. Unless.....................

13178880_1095294210530356_90416069917085

The Eurovision argument tells you all you need to know about the ridiculousness of much of Leave's position!

So 3.7 billion in license fees PLUS EU grants totalling 3 million over four years, wow, that 3 mill. should certainly sway their opinion, not!

It's a bit like a little old lady receiving a 100 quid grant from a labour council to help insulate her home home in the hope it will make her a labour supporter.

The Telegraph is obviously biased

As the BBC is so biased, here's the other side

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-11/uk-does-get-back-some-of-350m-it-sends-to-eu-boris-johnson-admits/

Biased also no doubt!

(Please check my spelling and punktuation)

365M what?

Its still 24M GDP too much. Better spent on our own

We give so much

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Edited by Caps

365M what?

Its still 24M GDP too much. Better spent on our own

Did you have something specific in mind?

So 3.7 billion in license fees PLUS EU grants totalling 3 million over four years, wow, that 3 mill. should certainly sway their opinion, not!

It's a bit like a little old lady receiving a 100 quid grant from a labour council to help insulate her home home in the hope it will make her a labour supporter.

You highlight my point perfectly.

Well done.

The only difference being that the old lady would not try to hide the £100 unlike the BBC.