Getting Married To A Thai In Thailand

akgammer

I'm a US/Thai (dual) Citizen planning on getting married in Thailand to a Thai. I'm now contemplating on weather I should get married as a Thai or as a US. Are there any advantages in being married as a US Citizen? Will my kids be affected by this decision?

If I get married as a Thai, the process would be very simple, but very troublesome as a US Citizen.

Thanks guys

Chad K.

I would be tempted to seek some real legal advice on this.

As far as I am aware, if you are married you are married, nationality doesn't matter (except maybe for the rights of any offspring)

The rules of the country you domicile in as a married couple however, can vary to a large degree.

Get some legal help.

From a legal point of view... and I know I shouldn't be talking divorce so early on in your happy event but life being what it is...

If you get married in Thailand then you have to get divorced in Thailand. There are no specific requirements legally to register the wedding back in the USA unless you plan to take her back there and let's put it this way, the divorce laws in Thailand favour tha man and will leave you with less of a risk.

If you get married in the USA then you are going to be subject to USA divorce laws and that means losing your shirt and probably an arm and a leg as well. Registering the wedding in Thailand at the Amphur is in the legal sense 'the wedding' :o

having said that, if she is switched on she could always insist on a divorce in the USA so you may want to play dumb and say she cannot should she ever get to that point

Hope you have a happy marriage though and it all works out but nothing wrong in a bit of forward planning

Just something to consider eh :D

Edited by Casanundra

According to "dr_Pat_Pong" I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

Even if my marriage certificate said that I'm a Thai Citizen marrying a Thai, I will have no trouble when my kid is born right?

Thanks

None what so ever! A good friend of mine has dual nationality with the UK and the USA and his Thai daughter now has nationality in Thailand / UK and even the USA so she now gets the best of all three worlds :o

As they all live in Thailand the issues of getting his wife a UK or USA nationality hasn't come into it and he doesn't care as long as his daughter was given the best opportunity his national status could provide.

Edited by Casanundra

From a legal point of view... and I know I shouldn't be talking divorce so early on in your happy event but life being what it is...

If you get married in Thailand then you have to get divorced in Thailand. There are no specific requirements legally to register the wedding back in the USA unless you plan to take her back there and let's put it this way, the divorce laws in Thailand favour tha man and will leave you with less of a risk.

If you get married in the USA then you are going to be subject to USA divorce laws and that means losing your shirt and probably an arm and a leg as well. Registering the wedding in Thailand at the Amphur is in the legal sense 'the wedding' :o

having said that, if she is switched on she could always insist on a divorce in the USA so you may want to play dumb and say she cannot should she ever get to that point

Hope you have a happy marriage though and it all works out but nothing wrong in a bit of forward planning

Just something to consider eh :D

And it just might be good if you checked out this incorrect assertion.