Taxi driver charged in death of Bangkok woman, 28

webfact

Taxi driver charged in death of Bangkok woman, 28

tax.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver claimed he suffered a stroke when he rear ended a car killing its driver on Sunday afternoon.

He failed to stop even though he saw there had been an accident and drove home to recover, Thairath reports

He was later arrested by police after a member of the public took a photo of his taxi following the accident.

Dead at the scene in Phuttamonton 1, Phasi Charoen district, was 28 year old Wipha Petchthong. A friend of the driver in the car was also grievously injured.

Wipha's younger brother said she had just phoned to say she had paid an installment on her Nissan March and was heading back home nearby. The next call he got was from police saying that she was trapped in that car after it had been rear ended hitting a tree. Resuscitation was tried at the scene but Wipha, who worked in a factory nearby, could not be saved.

Witnesses said that she was hit in the right hand lane by a green and yellow taxi trying to overtake at high speed. They saw the taxi fail to stop, turn round ahead and flee in the direction of Baromrachachonanee Road.

Police armed with a photo of the taxi arrested Jiracharn Jitkhanung, 48, at his address in Petchkasen soi 69, Nong Khaem district. He said that he had picked up two passengers earlier and was taking them from The Mall Bang Khae to Bang Waek. He said that he came over all dizzy and felt a tightening. His passengers got out but he said he was in a confused state. He looked behind and saw there had been an accident but he did not know that he was responsible for it. He added that he drove off home to recover.

Police charged him immediately with negligent driving causing death. Further investigations are under way.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-18

Miss Wipa may have been able to help herself by wearing a seat belt and not being grossly overweight, car cabin basically intact.

Who said she wasn't wearing a seat belt?

What has her weight got to do with the outcome and how do you know that she was "grossly" overweight?

What if the structure of the car was "basically intact"? The car was subject to a severe impact from behind followed by a severe frontal impact when it struck the tree. Traumatic injuries would not be unexpected.

This clown needs to learn the symptoms of a stroke. If he had suffered a stroke, the last thing he would have been able to do is drive home.

I know. I've had one.

Perhaps he really had a stroke, to his little brain below, resulting in a lack of courage and fleeing...

Did the driver actually claim to have had a stroke? I can't seem to find that part in the original article.

The opening line of the article says it:

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver claimed he suffered a stroke when he rear ended a car killing its driver on Sunday afternoon.

R.I.P. Young Lady.....I am not pointing fingers or blaming anyone, but is that not an impression of a head in the windscreen, also, the cab seems to be fairly intact, crumple zones worked. I know it was a rear end, then front end, but I have seen people walk away from worse...

Did the driver actually claim to have had a stroke? I can't seem to find that part in the original article.

Again: I can't seem to find that part IN THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE.

Miss Wipa may have been able to help herself by wearing a seat belt and not being grossly overweight, car cabin basically intact.

Wow Sherlock. you seem to know everything...

Someone lost her life and this is what you have to say?

Disgusting mentality...

Edited by Nepsydaz

It's right below the photo in the opening post.

Wow Sherlock. you seem to know everything...

Someone lost her life and this is what you have to say?

Disgusting mentality...

Yes, I agree. Kartman needs to be sent for re-education; about being human. Hope your dog bites you today !

R.I.P. Young Lady.....I am not pointing fingers or blaming anyone, but is that not an impression of a head in the windscreen, also, the cab seems to be fairly intact, crumple zones worked. I know it was a rear end, then front end, but I have seen people walk away from worse...

You kind of are pointing fingers at and blaming the victim...

Don't think you can run off minutes after a 'stroke; lying scumbag.

Many people have a stroke without knowing it. Do a google and check for signs of a friend having had a stroke....check the tongue first...just a hint to get you started.

Point taken Bluespunk, poor English on my part. Someone has lost a life, a sad event. I was only making an observation that damage to the vehicle does not appear to be severe enough to cause a fatality under normal circumstances.....wai.gif

On so many threads concerning traffic safety, expats make the appeal for a more comprehensive road safety program in Thailand. Part of that would certainly be a strong campaign for safe driving habits, and wearing the seat belt would be near the top of the list.

Yes, RIP to the lady, who did not cause the accident and her untimely death.

But many "accidents" illustrate an important lesson about defensive driving, traffic laws, or safe driving habits. This might be a case in point. I think the media should ask the investigating police, "Was the seatbelt in use?". The answer should be part of the accident description.

It's right below the photo in the opening post.

The original article says he had an epileptic fit, which is feasible. He shouldn't have a driver's licence if he has epilepsy. No excuse for driving away, too, it seems