Honda civic 1.8EL or 1.5 turbo .

kwak250

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10k worth it in Pearl i would get Black but both our last cars were black so good for a change.

Was thinking about glass coating.

Bit expensive though.

Still tempted to get the Rs will have to check how much it would cost over 4 years

Will go and order one of the 1.5 versions tomorrow

Can only go by my wife's family's experience with Honda. Four purchased and no real issues. Using their insurance is great too, all in house repairs and courtesy car etc

Hi Cook. Can you elaborate on Honda's own insurance? I was thinking that if it's not free then I'd stay with my current insurer to retain the no claims. But if Honda cover in-house repairs and a courtesy car that would be a better deal. Thanks for any info.

10k worth it in Pearl i would get Black but both our last cars were black so good for a change.

Bit expensive though.

Still tempted to get the Rs will have to check how much it would cost over 4 years

I got a dark grey color Honda City and am glad to do so as this color City isn't too common and is easier to spot in parking lots!!! I wouldn't get white color as this appears to be most common color (at least my eyes tell me I saw a lot of white Honda City).

Not sure about black myself as I don't think it's a good color for a hot country and seem to show flaws easier.

Can only go by my wife's family's experience with Honda. Four purchased and no real issues. Using their insurance is great too, all in house repairs and courtesy car etc

Hi Cook. Can you elaborate on Honda's own insurance? I was thinking that if it's not free then I'd stay with my current insurer to retain the no claims. But if Honda cover in-house repairs and a courtesy car that would be a better deal. Thanks for any info.

I believe Honda doesn't have it's own insurance but works as a broker. From Honda website:

Another service is car insurance with Honda Automobile Insurance Brokers Co., Ltd. that offers great coverage from many of the leading insurance companies.

I did get my insurance through Honda and it was for Viriyah Insurance which I found excellent.

Bit expensive though.

I can only go by my experience with my current Focus. I didn't order the Titanium+ as I didn't want a sunroof, but I've been kind of feeling that I'm missing out on something by not having the full options. This is one reason I'm going for the Civic RS. If you can afford it, do it, I would say. BTW, there's a good write-up on the RS in one of today's English language newspapers. I reckon the RS would be about an additional 2,200 baht per month over 4 years on the non-RS (this is including the 2.09% interest rate quoted to me by Honda).

I believe Honda doesn't have it's own insurance but works as a broker. From Honda website:

Another service is car insurance with Honda Automobile Insurance Brokers Co., Ltd. that offers great coverage from many of the leading insurance companies.

I did get my insurance through Honda and it was for Viriyah Insurance which I found excellent.

Thanks, Tywais.

Yes the insurance Honda offered us was one of the leading companies. The difference is that in an accident, you deal with Honda directly, they fix the car 'in house' etc. Thats a big plus if you ever need a major accident repair.

We were offered some extras and either a discount or a years 1st class worth 20k. I took the insurance as the wife is accident prone /my first Thai policy.

Yes the insurance Honda offered us was one of the leading companies. The difference is that in an accident, you deal with Honda directly, they fix the car 'in house' etc. Thats a big plus if you ever need a major accident repair.

We were offered some extras and either a discount or a years 1st class worth 20k. I took the insurance as the wife is accident prone /my first Thai policy.

All good advice. Thanks everyone. Will hopefully put a deposit on an RS in June/July for collection in August as I'll be away for most of July and I'll be sure to try to get the extras plus insurance. Would much rather have Honda doing the repairs than some 'bodgit and scarper' merchant. Probably more chance of getting a colour match as well.

I'd just read Bangkok Post's Honda Civic RS article from 2'nd of May, stating 0-100 at 10.4 Sec only. How can it be so slow compared to the same car with the same effect on the engine in US and EU? Hot weather? Hard to believe. Any info on 0-100 in the new Thai Ford Focus yet?

Hey, Kwak, which one did you end up ordering?

Hi Wiggy ,haven't managed to yet as i have been busy trying to get the 1 year visa sorted out which i nearly forgot about so busy doing photos of our house sat on a sofa /stood outside the house etc

Will have to wait for another week which will give me time to go for either the 1.5 standard or R.S version .Probably be the Standard version though.

JTB is right. The only stat I could find was, "under 9s" for the Focus on a UK site (the RAC). 10.4 seconds from the RS seems a bit lacking to me. I have read on here somewhere though that the boost for Thailand is being set a little lower though, so that is almost certainly the reason.

Edited by Wiggy

The standard 1.5 Focus does 0-100km in around 8.5 seconds.

Shame its a Ford though it would have to do it in 7 seconds to be slightly tempting.

Yes. Pity the Focus RS won't be coming here: 0-60 in 4.7s!

JTB is right. The only stat I could find was, "under 9s" for the Focus on a UK site (the RAC). 10.4 seconds from the RS seems a bit lacking to me. I have read on here somewhere though that the boost for Thailand is being set a little lower though, so that is almost certainly the reason.

The boost in Thailand is set for 1.0 bar, the US version is 1.13 bar. I'm also holding off my decision now as those numbers are a bit worrisome for me. Had planned to test my 8th generation Civic 2.0 to see what its performance is once I find a clear spot. If the 0-100 is equal or worse on the 2.0 than I'll be happy with the 1.5T as the Civic 2.0 gives me very descent acceleration when needed.

I've seen several reports for the Thailand 1.5 to be 9+ for 0-100, now this 10+ figure even worse. The US version at 6.6-6.8, would be great.

The boost in Thailand is set for 1.0 bar, the US version is 1.13 bar. I'm also holding off my decision now as those numbers are a bit worrisome for me. Had planned to test my 8th generation Civic 2.0 to see what its performance is once I find a clear spot. If the 0-100 is equal or worse on the 2.0 than I'll be happy with the 1.5T as the Civic 2.0 gives me very descent acceleration when needed.

I've seen several reports for the Thailand 1.5 to be 9+ for 0-100, now this 10+ figure even worse. The US version at 6.6-6.8, would be great.

We have some staff testing the export version of the RS soon, which will be in conditions much more favorable for best-case 0-100 times - more favorable than a high 30's day in the middle of Isaan anyway, where all the Thai-quoted times have come from so far.

I'm sure that Ford will also give us a Focus 1.5 ecoboost to compare with too ;)

Edited by IMHO

Agreed, Tywais. My Focus 2.0 gives me plenty to work with, so as long as the Civic isn't below that I'll be a happy camper.

We have some staff testing the export version of the RS soon, which will be in conditions much more favorable for best-case 0-100 times - more favorable than a high 30's day in the middle of Isaan anyway, where all the Thai-quoted times have come from so far.

I'm sure that Ford will also give us a Focus 1.5 ecoboost to compare with too ;)

Thanks for this, IMHO. It'll be interesting to see the figures.

I'd just read Bangkok Post's Honda Civic RS article from 2'nd of May, stating 0-100 at 10.4 Sec only. How can it be so slow compared to the same car with the same effect on the engine in US and EU? Hot weather? Hard to believe. Any info on 0-100 in the new Thai Ford Focus yet?

There's another Thai test saying 9 seconds. I seriously doubt the 1.8 wd be faster (10 secs)

But with a lower boost, the HP and torque should be much lower then. As it is now Honda claims the same HP and torque numbers as the US and EU versions

Latest measure I've read for Thailand is 9.2 - 9.4 sec for 0-100 with 200+ kg payload and nearly 40 degrees heat. Another video I saw today was 9 seconds for the RS. It should get into the 8's with one driver and moderate weather. The US runs the civic on 95-97RON, with a little higher boost...and a much cooler climate generally.

For, the focus, I'd wait till we have some numbers for Thailand. The UK's numbers could be as unreliable as the figures from the US for the civic. I've already seen a new 1.8 civic with a turbo kit that is good for close to 200HP, and around 8 seconds for 0-100.

There's another Thai test saying 9 seconds. I seriously doubt the 1.8 wd be faster (10 secs)

From what I've been told the 1.5 is at least a second faster than the previous 2.0 civic. The 1.8 would be closer to 12 seconds 11 to 12 seconds).

My source tells me the 1.5 turbo is quite a bit faster than my ES civic 2.0. So I imagine you'd e quite happy with the 1.5 turbo. The torque of the 1.5 would eat the NA 2.0 - the focus promises even more....+7hp and +20NM over the civic.

The problem will be fooling the ECU - which on computer-controlled engines - moniters boost pressure. Easy to just adjust the max pressure, but you would need a reflash - which OEM could easily see in an ECU download - or plumb in a regulator so when boost signal rises to max, the excess is not monitered by the ECU. This way you could keep your warranty and enjoy the benefits of increases engine output.

Edited by canthai55