Honda civic 1.8EL or 1.5 turbo .

kwak250

• I've had pretty good service from Ford, but never owned a Honda in Thailand (one point Focus)

Five points each. I really can't decide!! blink.png Any advice? Thanks.

Interesting ... everything I've read about Ford customer service in Thailand points to lackluster customer service but your personal experience is different. Are you in BKK?

I have boring Honda City but can't attest to Honda service as my Thai friend take care of all that for me since I don't live in Thailand and drive only about once a month when I'm in town. But I thought Honda had better "reputation" for customer service. I had no problem getting English manual for the car right after the car purchase and I think she's generally happy with maintenance on the car. Just over 1+ year owning this car.

I am in Bangkok and I've had zero problems with Ford customer service. Agree though that we should get back to the OPs topic of Honda Civic 1.8 EL or 1.5 Turbo. I did start a thread before on Focus Ecoboost or Civic 1.5 Turbo, so perhaps we should move the Ford discussion there.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i have probably had some of the best Ford had to offer back in the day.

XR2i /3i even had a cosworth .

Dont get me wrong i liked them but after owning a few toyotas here and my wife owning a 2009 fiesta from new i cant see myself buying another Ford

We nearly gave it away it depreciated that quickly.

Thai people dont like change they still love Toyotas and Hondas and a 2nd hand Isuzu is always sought after.

My choice is still going to be a Civic as to me its by far the best looking car in the price range .

I did just get back from the U.k and a friend bought a brand new AudiTT for nearly the same price as i am going to spend which makes me a bit sick.

I did just get back from the U.k and a friend bought a brand new AudiTT for nearly the same price as i am going to spend which makes me a bit sick.

Good luck with your purchase. I have Honda City but felt same way when I handed over 750K baht for the car ...

I'm resigned to the fact that I will have to wait until I have to be based back in USA before I get a "nice" car. It's a trade off.

Def go for the 1.5 turbo over the old 1.8 n/a. Much less engine noise/ lower revs, better torque, better everything.

I wonder how the CVT gearbox will handle a proper tune. I guess that engine is good for a few more horses.

Id hope its capable of more. I know someone testing it now - with 260kg payload in hot weather its managing about 9.2 sec for 0 to 100kmh. Yet the US version is consistently in the 7 to 8 sec range for 0 to 60 mph. Some numbers are below 6 seconds. The heat here must be killing it as i dont think the lower boost can account for that.

Id hope its capable of more. I know someone testing it now - with 260kg payload in hot weather its managing about 9.2 sec for 0 to 100kmh. Yet the US version is consistently in the 7 to 8 sec range for 0 to 60 mph. Some numbers are below 6 seconds. The heat here must be killing it as i dont think the lower boost can account for that.

Believe the US version has around 13% more boost. Plus, who knows what else they tuned the ECU for on the Thai version versus the US version. The CVT for both countries are most likely the same so can't see re-tuning being a problem for the CVT to handle it.

Well thanks for all your views i am ordering the 1.5 version (not rs) in pearlesent white

Not sure how much extra in the colour will cost maybe 30k?

Going to leave a deposit Monday and told they can deliver by friday 20th earlier if i take standard white

More excited than the wife and its her car hahaha.

Well thanks for all your views i am ordering the 1.5 version (not rs) in pearlesent white

Going to leave a deposit Monday and told they can deliver by friday 20th earlier if i take standard white

Congrats, Kwak250. I reckon it'll be a nice motor. Coincidentally I was at a showroom today looking at the turbo (both RS and standard). Like them both and can't decide. Agree a little with an earlier comment that the RS is a little OTT. But, I think the few little extras (mainly lane watch to look out for the motorcycles on the left hand side) will do it for me. I've definitely ruled out the 1.8 after seeing this thread so thanks for starting it. Have also now opted out of another Ford Focus since this Civic came out. Enjoy the car and please post to let us know how it drives. Cheers.

PS. Both their website and brochure say pearl white is an extra 10k.

It's worth bargaining for the extras. Honda are doing a posher window film on request, much better than the cheap one they include. Try and get the upgraded one thrown in. And the new civic modulo wheels look really nice too.

Edited by Cook my sock

It's worth bargaining for the extras. Honda are doing a posher window film on request, much better than the cheap one they include. Try and get the upgraded one thrown in. And the new civic modulo wheels look really nice too.

That's good to know, Cook, thanks. I also noticed that insurance of 28,000 is added onto the price of the car on the price list (the one with the finance terms). This indicates that insurance is not free for the first year. Can that be right?

That's good to know, Cook, thanks. I also noticed that insurance of 28,000 is added onto the price of the car on the price list (the one with the finance terms). This indicates that insurance is not free for the first year. Can that be right?

I think Honda doesn't give out 1st year insurance. I didn't get it when I purchased my City ... I remember reading about this on the 'net that Honda doesn't give out 1st year insurance like many others.

I think Honda doesn't give out 1st year insurance. I didn't get it when I purchased my City ... I remember reading about this on the 'net that Honda doesn't give out 1st year insurance like many others.

That's a bit of a bummer. I assumed it was kind of a given here. This will be my first Honda though, so I didn't know that.

I was offered either a small discount or 1st class insurance on our HRV. I took the insurance plus a few extras. It really depends on the Honda dealer. For example Honda Ekkamai didn't offer a thing. Honda Daokanong (Thonburi)were much more generous.

Edited by Cook my sock

Same here for my Civic, no free insurance. However they dropped the price by 26,000 Baht for me to do with as I will such as accessories, Insurance or just a straight reduction in the price.

That's a bit of a bummer. I assumed it was kind of a given here. This will be my first Honda though, so I didn't know that.
Don't worry. You'll be back to Ford for your next car. [emoji3]

Don't worry. You'll be back to Ford for your next car. [emoji3]
You never know, JTB. Could be. Tried Toyota - boring, Ford - I like my Focus. It's just lacking something, although great to drive. Civic RS seems somehow more exciting. Time will tell.

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

The point about insurance being free or not would not be a deal breaker for me.

I remember buying a honda wave years ago and they did not give any extras in the deal but my brother in law purchased a new Suzuki Smash and got :

2 free helmets

1 jacket

1 blanket

keyrings

Insurance

Still who wanted a Suzuki Smash if they didnt try to persuade you with free <deleted>?

i used to feel sorry for him trying to kick-start it after it was about a year old

I always feel if they are trying to give you too many insentives then is the vehicle really sought after that much.

I always feel if they are trying to give you too many insentives then is the vehicle really sought after that much.

You've hit the nail on the head! It's all about supply and demand. Give it a few months for them to clear their early-adaptors backlog, and I'm pretty sure Honda will give you some keyrings and blankets too ;)

After care/service is a big reason to buy a Honda.

Why? Do they break down often?

I've never had any brand mess up a routine service.

He may mean non-routine / major jobs. For me, my 12 y.o civic has been rather indestructible. I've had a few things go wrong - particularly the air cond system, but the engine and gearbox are still solid after 240K kms. The previous focus didn't have a good run and that would leave punters jittery. It would need to be something quite special over and above the rs for me to consider it.

PS. Both their website and brochure say pearl white is an extra 10k.

And black for 6k extra. Disregard the 1.8 in the scan below, it is the same price difference for all variants. Not sure why black has to be a premium.

post-566-0-23137900-1462184811_thumb.jpg