"Get a Thai Visa Next Time"

I left for Vietnam before my Non B expired. When I came back I think I was flagged because I had many stamps and stickers from Thailand.

An officer told me that I'm not a tourist and that I should get a visa next time. I asked if I could get my visa extended here in Bangkok and he said he didn't know.

He wrote "Get a Thai Visa Next Time" and had me initial next to it in my passport.

Am I coming to a point where they will not let me stay anymore? Should I leave for Laos at the end of my month or try to get an extension and Chenwattanata?

I'm also looking for teaching positions. I tried to tell that to the officer as well.

You should not of been bothered about doing the visa exempt entry unless you had a lot of them in the past.

You can get a 30 day extension at immigration without a problem. Then go out for a single entry tourist visa.

• Like 2

I only had a couple max. I wonder what his deal was?

Just an immigration officer not doing their job correctly. Their should only question people if they get an alert that a person has more than 6 visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

Someone with a passport full of "stamps and stickers" does not fit the profile of a typical tourist but someone wanting to live/stay in Thailand long term; therefore, I am not at all surprised you were given a hard time. Immigration, supposedly, want people entering with visas for the purpose of the visit.

The problem with the current policy is that they are telling you that you're "not a tourist" and don't want you entering using the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme (meant for tourism), and yet they will allow you entry with a tourist visa (meant for tourism).

So maybe more of a financial thing ?

Spending money on visas as opposed to entering on visa exemption.

• Like 1

Shouldn't it be "if you have back-to-back visa exempt stamps"?

If one stays abroard 1-4 months between entries, it shouldn't be any problem to have many of these stamps, should it?

Edited by Lannig

If one stays abroard 1-4 months between entries, it shouldn't be any problem to have many of these stamps, should it?

People working a rotation outside the country and doing an entry every 2 months have been pulled to the side. A recent one was working 4 weeks outside the country and 10 days here and got questioned and was told to get a visa.

• Like 2

Someone with a passport full of "stamps and stickers" does not fit the profile of a typical tourist but someone wanting to live/stay in Thailand long term; therefore, I am not at all surprised you were given a hard time. Immigration, supposedly, want people entering with visas for the purpose of the visit.

The problem with the current policy is that they are telling you that you're "not a tourist" and don't want you entering using the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme (meant for tourism), and yet they will allow you entry with a tourist visa (meant for tourism).

I don't think so. The OP said he had a non-b and it sounds like it was an extension not a visa.

People working a rotation outside the country and doing an entry every 2 months have been pulled to the side. A recent one was working 4 weeks outside the country and 10 days here and got questioned and was told to get a visa.

Thanks for the tip. Well, hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm usually in Thailand only 2 to 4 times a year, exceptionally 5 times, my time spent abroad usually is much over a month so I guess that keeps me below the radar.

I can reply to these questions and prove that I'm a real tourist anyway, I have more than enough income in my home country.

6 visa exempt entries in what time period? I have 3 visa exempt entries from a year or more ago, and want to return to thailand on visa exempt if i cannot get a visa.... should i worry? i have 3 visas, 3 exempt stamps...

It is a total of 6. I am not aware of any time period. But it is only an alert. If the officer does his job he should look to see if they are in/out visa runs or not. That is the intent of the alert.

You will not have problem on entry.

6 visa exempt entries in what time period? I have 3 visa exempt entries from a year or more ago, and want to return to thailand on visa exempt if i cannot get a visa.... should i worry? i have 3 visas, 3 exempt stamps...

You shouldn't have a problem. The 6 entry flag is an aid for IO's to police the misuse of the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme. It's not a limit. Worst case would likely be a warning to get a visa next time as with the OP.

I have a friend who is married to a Thai. He works overseas and returns to Thailand on a regular basis using VE entries. He can never stay longer than 28 days.

This man was challenged only once by an IO. He explained his situation provided evidence of being employed abroad and demonstrated access to adequate finances.

He continues to use VE entries and has never been challenged again.

Anecdotal - yes - but also true !

Just an immigration officer not doing their job correctly. Their should only question people if they get an alert that a person has more than 6 visa exempt entries.

On the contrary, he was doing his job correctly. The OP told him he wanted to get a job and work in Thailand something a suitable visa is required for. He then used his discretion to allow the OP entry even though he was clearly in the wrong. The OP should be grateful.

What visa do you think is suitable to look for work? Nothing wrong with doing it on a visa exempt entry.

I actually think that technically the immigration officer is correct. If you are going to tell them that you are coming here to "look for work" then you would need a Non-Immigrant B Visa (Business). It is no different than someone coming here for the purpose of conducting business (looking for business) .... It is all about how it is interpreted, but looking for work... really is not tourism - it is a grey area (IMHO).

It would be best never to say anything about looking for work, and not bringing anything with you like CVs etc. because if they search and find them then you might be turned away. i.e. your primary reason for coming to Thailand is for tourism (period). If however after you arrive you, you decide to see what the job market is like and talk to a few people maybe meet a few people for interviews... it was not your "primary reason".

I know from personal experience than it can cause major headaches when dealing with USA immigration.... It took months of work by lawyers to get someone who was rejected and "blacklisted" from entering the states because he entered with CVs at the border and they stopped him because he was entering the US for the purposes of doing business and failing to get the proper visa... etc. etc. etc. He was actually only entering for a few days for an interview (formality we had already decided we were extremely interested in the person). Nationality: German entering from Canada.

I actually think that technically the immigration officer is correct. If you are going to tell them that you are coming here to "look for work" then you would need a Non-Immigrant B Visa (Business). It is no different than someone coming here for the purpose of conducting business (looking for business) .... It is all about how it is interpreted, but looking for work... really is not tourism - it is a grey area (IMHO).

Do you have a suggestion on how he would get a non-b visa prior to arriving here? Those are not easy to get.

Even people with a job offer often have to arrive here on visa exempt or tourist visa because they could not get one before traveling.

Do you have a suggestion on how he would get a non-b visa prior to arriving here? Those are not easy to get.

Even people with a job offer often have to arrive here on visa exempt or tourist visa because they could not get one before traveling.

No, the suggestion I made about NEVER ever mentioning to immigration anything other than tourism (i.e. looking for a job) and treating it as a grey area....

There are many catch-22 type situations with immigration (in many countries), where they have created categories but there will always be things that fall in between or are impossible to do by the letter of the law. Job hunting is often one of them, job classifications/descriptions are another (NAFTA TN1) - i.e. the intent is to allow professionals of a certain type but the department of trade description becomes too specific to really match any cases - so you end up writing it to what immigration wants to see.

Many countries require you to get a business visa for job hunting, but then you have to have a letter from a company first to get the visa type situations.... I am just saying as soon as you mention looking for a job, you are often only causing problems for yourself. Don't volunteer any information outside of what immigration wants to hear. Don't ask, don't tell.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Ubon Joe is correct. I have done that in January, when I was temporarily forced to be on TV. In my application and arrival card I wrote " looking for work, living and residence in Thailand"

The fact that Thailand doesn't have a visa for job hunting tells us everything.

The fact that you don't need a specific visa for job hunting in Thailand is more telling. It's also in line with most other countries requirments.

What?! They ALL must hate us, no?

I never had a problem telling the officers that im looking for a job... on visa exempt. I wonder how someone would get a B Visa for jobhunting...

Last time i got questioned why im here so long without visa i told him that i couldnt find a job yet and im looking for more opportunities. Also i get married soon. He asked me then what job i want and i just said im Webdeveloper (what is true) and he said something like "Oh, nice. Good luck".

Something like this happened not only once to me.

from OP:

He wrote "Get a Thai Visa Next Time" and had me initial next to it in my passport.

That would make me a bit uneasy. It's very close to defacing your passport for the user to write on any visa/entry page, isn't it?

I had a friend denied entry to Japan because he drew a grid of lines on a page to guide Immigrations Officers to stamp appropriately so he could get more stamps per page. Drawing the lines voided his passport, according to them. How would they deem using your passport pages as a note pad?