Bottle feeding basics...newborn

Kenny202

Posted last week about baby a little constipated. All that seems ok now and just been to the doctors for all his follow

up checks and everything fine. He's just 3 weeks old and put on nearly a kilo in that time. I asked my wife to get as much info as she could on bottle feeding but came back with what I thought were some silly answers ( or maybe she misunderstood?), one of them "its ok to give a baby a bottle straight out of the fridge".

Just wanted to check on a few fundamentals and make sure we're doing everything ok. If anything he seems to be feeding too much. On the formula packet it suggests 6 or 7 feedings per day at 3 oz (90mm). I've asked my wife to document how much he is having as of today but I'd say he's well surpassing what is recommended.

His poos are consistent now and normal. He does seem to get a few tummy pains now and then but nothing I'd say out of the ordinary. He tends to feed then asleep for only about 2 hours and then awake starving again. As soon as he gets the bottle he's happy so assume thats what he wants.

1) what should the temperature of his bottles be? We sterilise bottles and teats in boiling water and fill with cooled boiled bottled water. We warm the bottle in hot water until around body temp (back of the hand). Is this the way its still done?

My wife seems to think she was told room temp was ok? (room temp where we live could be anywhere from 25-30 deg C)

2) Is there such a thing as overfeeding and if so should we be concerned or doing something proactive? He doesn't seem keen on a pacifier. By the way. He gets plenty of attention ie awake time...massages, bath.....a look around and a play. At some point he will be screaming for the bottle again.

3) Is it ok to make a couple of bottles ahead of time. May have been doing the wrong thing there making 2 or 3 and leaving at room temp (sterilised with a cap on) for a few hours. Should we be storing them in the fridge?

Any help appreciated

Edited by Kenny202

Room temperature is fine, just not hot or cold. Let him eat as much as he wants. Actually he will force you to do this anyway.

None of our 5 kids took to a pacifier either. We never pre-made bottles, it only takes about 20 seconds to make a bottle of formula. This avoids confusion about how old the bottle is. You can get containers that can hold proper portions of powder ready to use so you can make a bottle quick away from home

It doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong.

Your standards will drop dramatically later on so good to start out with high ones.

As above, but if the room temperature is not too hot then I think you are OK to make say 2 at a time and leave the second one out. I wouldn't do more than 2 though as you risk spoilage after a couple of hours. (You can make more than 2 at a time but only have one standing out, after giving it you take another out of the fridge. That way none stay out more than a couple of hours but there is always one ready to go).

Infants that age will usually not overeat so let his hunger guide how much and how often. He may just be a large/fast growing baby.

One other thing. He seems to favour sleeping on his tummy with his head to the side. Seems to ease any discomfort he has if tummy uneasy and he sleeps sounder and longer. I normally put him on his back because that's what I was taught

Edited by Kenny202

Studies have shown a linkage between side and stomach sleeping and SIDs (SUdden Infant Death Syndrome AKA "crib death"). . Of course, vast majority of babies will be fine, but it is recommended not to risk it.