Where can I buy cans of high quality metallic spray paint?

Tapster

I'm looking for high quality metallic, acrylic lacquer spray paint to paint an electric guitar.

I have researched this at length and I know that I'm looking for the correct paint, I just can't find anything like it in the local DIY places or Home Pro.

The sort of paint I'm looking for is shown in the photos below.

Does anyone know what sort of shop will sell this in Thailand or if I can get it online?

Many thanks for any help.

wai.gif

post-189147-0-12031100-1461235474_thumb.

post-189147-0-63343300-1461235481_thumb.

post-189147-0-45121100-1461235493_thumb.

post-189147-0-25473900-1461235503_thumb.

@mortenaa

Although that photo shows Alsa paint, I wasn't specifically looking for that make.

However, I'm grateful for your suggestion. I've never heard of that paint and in all my online searches for such paint in Thailand, I didn't come across Alsa paint.

Thank you very much. Great suggestion. I'll contact them straight away.

thumbsup.gif

Cans of metallic paint - not much hope I would say. Why not visit some custom paint shops where they do bikes, helmets, cars, etc. Show them your color, ask if they can duplicate. Do all the prep yourself so it is done to your satisfaction. Show up at shop, wipe down to remove any oil, have them spray.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

Here's my final job report:

Firstly, I live in southern Phuket, if I haven't told you already.

• It emerged that Alsa paint has no representative in Thailand. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• Then I took the guitar to two paint shops.

The first one was a 'mom and pop paint shop' with an ancient guy rubbing down a panel in an almost derelict workshop.

Result..........a big 'Cannot!'.

He shooed me away but we parted with a smile.

The second one is the big respray shop behind the TOT building on Chao Fa Road West.

It was very professional-looking, with three modern spray booths, lots of workshop space and an office with at least 4 people apparently toiling away quite hard.

Anyway...... despite all that, again it was a more-considered-but-still-firmly-binding 'Cannot!'

Despite my best efforts at convincing the English-speaking office guy, my guitar was clearly too unlike a vehicle for paint to work, using the techniques at their disposal.

However, they did give me another place to try.........a paint supplies shop nearby.

At the supplies place they had everything for painting and finishing cars. I bought what was necessary to do the paint job myself: sandpaper, primer, colour base coat, clear coat, polishing attachment for drill, rubbing compound and finishing compound.

The first photo shows the original guitar sanded, the second - primer, and the last one - clear coat finished but before final sanding and polishing. The guitar looks much more purple in the flesh but you get the idea. I'm very happy with it.

Prince died after I'd chosen the colour. I dedicate the paint job to The Purple One, RIP.

Finally, my Handy Paint Tip of the Day:

If you're doing a spray can job using acrylic lacquer, I can tell you that Bosny paint goes on a lot better than the commonly-found Nippon "Pylac 1000" paint.

The Bosny spray pattern is impressively even and it's easily possible to put on the maximum amount of paint without risking sags and runs. It goes on much more like a compressor spray than the Pylac 1000.

OK, thank you for reading and for the advice.

Rock on! smiley-music017.gif

post-189147-0-89927400-1462436594_thumb.

post-189147-0-15715900-1462436611_thumb.

post-189147-0-59603500-1462436626_thumb.

The first thing you need to realize is, the finish you're seeing in your OP photos is not the way any paint came out of the can. That has been de-peeled, cut and polished to perfection. There's no short-circuiting those processes if you want flawless paint.

That said, if you can't find the vendor's products you were looking for, I can also recommend the House of Kolor products. But again, if you don't do the cutting and polishing steps on it, don't expect show-car-like finishes.

I'm looking for high quality metallic, acrylic lacquer spray paint to paint an electric guitar.

I have researched this at length and I know that I'm looking for the correct paint, I just can't find anything like it in the local DIY places or Home Pro.

The sort of paint I'm looking for is shown in the photos below.

Does anyone know what sort of shop will sell this in Thailand or if I can get it online?

Many thanks for any help.

wai.gif

attachicon.gifGuitar paint (2).jpg

attachicon.gifGuitar paint (3).jpg

attachicon.gifGuitar paint (4).jpg

attachicon.gifGuitar paint (6).jpg

Do you have a WP. Lol

Sorry the old ones are the best !!!