The argument against dual pricing in Thailand

webfact

Double pricing is not about National Parks or Ferris wheels, its Thais people overcharging you everyday because you are a foreigners, under the fallacious excuse that you are richer than them.

It would make some sense or at least explains it, if Thailand WAS actually a poor country.

But this is not the case anymore, Thailand is 100th out of 230 in the GPD rank.

It mean average and there are actually more countries poorer than THL, than there are richer.

So no it's not justified

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

Edited by BangkokKen

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double pricing is not about National Parks or Ferris wheels, its Thais people overcharging you everyday because you are a foreigners, under the fallacious excuse that you are richer than them.

It would make some sense or at least explains it, if Thailand WAS actually a poor country.

But this is not the case anymore, Thailand is 100th out of 230 in the GPD rank.

It mean average and there are actually more countries poorer than THL, than there are richer.

So no it's not justified

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

I would tend to disagree with that. When the two tier pricing system is actually led by the Government, E.G. At National Parks, where this policy is brazenly on display and implemented, then the National Parks are most certainly relevant to the subject. It is about them. Very much so. For If the Government's Official Line is that two tiered pricing is the standard then it is not unreasonable to expect the more unscrupulous Thais out there to follow suit. And there is the problem. if they are ever to stop the Two Tiered Pricing System then the Government will have to lead by example and stop doing it themselves. Charging foreigners more just because they are foreigners has been institutionalised. Is it any wonder some Taxi Drivers try to implement their own two tiered system - Meters On for Thais and Meters off for Farangs.

Fortunately I do not encounter it where I reside. Surely if I did they would only get my custom once. So, since I live here and buy stuff everyday they would be mad to lose my business over a one off pittance. Unfortunately not so in the tourist areas where the average punter is most likely only going to walk through the door once. He is ripe for the pickings. But this behaviour is not strictly a Thai thing.

I would doubt if anyone would argue with the owner getting a reasonable return on their investment. Many years ago I went to everything but the foreigner price was just a little over the Thai price. Now it is many times more than the Thai price I wouldn't go to the tourist sites. As one person has said "these things belong to the Thai people" and you can not argue against that. But if you own something you have to make a decent contribution to its upkeep and not try to fleece tourists and non locals to pay for it. What would happen if no foreigner visited the "tourist sites" would they start charging Thai's? If not who would pay for the upkeep of these places?

If you are on holiday you may pay the price but if you live here why should you be discriminated against? I bring in well over Baht 2,000,000 a year for my family and so do many other expats, but I still have to pay ridiculous fees to enter a place that tourists go to see?

Yes have the tourist price a little more, and I mean a little more, than what a Thai would pay but if you are living and / or working here you are contributing to the economy far more than most Thai's do so that should be taken into consideration (but wont be).

If I want to be a tourist I will spend my money in other countries.

Edited by gandalf12

Over pricing is everywhere in Thailand.

A few days ago i had a farang visit me.

It was very hot so the lady went to our village shop.

She bought ice, 3 small bottles of coke.

Price should have been 10 baht ice, 3x12 baht coke.

She was charged 60 baht. When she told me, i said thats wrong.

Next day my wife went to the same shop, bought same items 46 baht.

My wife asked why did you charge my farang friend 60 baht.

Answer was, she farang tourist she got big money.

Now we will go to the other village shop, he thought he was being smart but has lost a regular customer over his short sighted greed.

The 711 doesn't do that, only those mum and pap stores do. So i boycot them..

And it's too bad to have to give cash to a multinational corporation supposedly controlled by the Moonies rather than local people.

I'm in a tourist area at the moment, went to a pharmacy, they asked 240 baht for a strip of pills that should be 80 baht. They no doubt pay higher rent in that spot, but not 300% higher rent. I walked out and they said "okay 150 baht" as I left but I ignored them. No shame, just face.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

You lot think you are being overcharged because you are farang which is complete nonsense. You pay the correct price but Thai people realize many Thais have very little money and because they have such good hearts they give yhem a discount.....That is Thailands story and they are sticking to it...if you dont like it Thai say go home farang you talk no good about Thai we tolopsolopsolai u sure lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

At Niagara Falls Appleby's, Ihop, Skylon and many, if not all, legitimate, international businesses charge a 10% "TIF" (Tourist Improvement Fee) on your itemised bill. You CAN ask for it to be removed if you know about it. Otherwise unsuspecting tourist just pay 10% more than locals for everything. The "fee" is NOT a legitimate local or provincial tax it is just a money grab done far more sneakily than Thai dual-pricing.

You lot think you are being overcharged because you are farang which is complete nonsense. You pay the correct price but Thai people realize many Thais have very little money and because they have such good hearts they give yhem a discount.....That is Thailands story and they are sticking to it...if you dont like it Thai say go home farang you talk no good about Thai we tolopsolopsolai u sure lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Such a convoluted argument!

Typical Thai logic though.

Thais ARE NOT GIVEN a discounted price of admission.

... but

Farangs ARE GIVEN a marked-up price of admission.

*** even wealthy Thais pay less than a poorer farang!

Explain that Tanlic.

At Niagara Falls Appleby's, Ihop, Skylon and many, if not all, legitimate, international businesses charge a 10% "TIF" (Tourist Improvement Fee) on your itemised bill. You CAN ask for it to be removed if you know about it. Otherwise unsuspecting tourist just pay 10% more than locals for everything. The "fee" is NOT a legitimate local or provincial tax it is just a money grab done far more sneakily than Thai dual-pricing.

Applied to everyone? Or based on nationality?

Aspect that bothers me is that government with dual pricing sets the standard and the tone regarding taking foreigners for all they can get, so businesses follow the leaders..... hence mom and pop overcharges. At Chiang Mai rail station they tried that once at snack kiosk. Had charged 15 baht for Coke for local, then wanted 20 from me, so I questioned that. "Hee, hee.... ok 15 baht".

When I am in that situation, I don't buy it. I'd rather do without than give my money to a cheater. He only offered the real price because he was caught.

Yeah but what's the point of even buying a drink from a local vendor? 7-11 probably has at least one or two stores at the Chiang Mai railway station and only charges 13 Baht for a can of coke that's constantly cooled in a proper refridgerator, not just a box of ice.

The point is that at the 711 you might endup behind somebody coming to pay a bill which takes ages. Mum and pap stores don't have that.

And now they even do visa-services for burmese in the 711. I do like the shop but i hate to be in a long qeueu in there.

As a tax payer it pisses me off,

paying extra to go to the zoo/ pool,

if i have to pay the extra then give me a tax credit

at the end of the year,

Is the "zoo/pool" funded by taxes?

How much do most expats really pay in taxes in Thailand?

In fact, when I go to the "zoo/pool" in Korat, I am charged the "Thai price" if I show them my Thai driver's license.

Also, duel pricing works both ways.

My local mom & pop store charges farangs 3 baht less for a quart of beer than they do their Thai customers.

When I noticed this, I asked why.

I was told that they like farang customers." Farang maybe buy beer one time every day, Thai customer maybe come to buy one time a week."

"We want farang to shop here, farang spend more money."

As a tax payer it pisses me off,

paying extra to go to the zoo/ pool,

if i have to pay the extra then give me a tax credit

at the end of the year,

Is the "zoo/pool" funded by taxes?

How much do most expats really pay in taxes in Thailand?

Once again, I suppose you mean INCOME tax but there is more to taxation than just income tax.

Government-supported facilities are funded by many types of taxes. The taxes individual people are most likely to pay, whether Thais or foreigners living in Thailand, are consumption taxes - VAT & similar - and, for those working & earning enough, personal income tax (PIT).

The average payment of (VAT+PIT) in 2014 was 14,814 ฿ per person. which equates to an annual spend on VAT-liable goods of 211,628 ฿.

Also, VAT take was 2.5 times PIT take.

I'm pretty sure most of us living here spend significantly more than that in a year on VAT-liable goods.

We therefore pay our way in terms of taxation.

Edit - to include ratio of VAT:PIT.

Edited by MartinL

Aspect that bothers me is that government with dual pricing sets the standard and the tone regarding taking foreigners for all they can get, so businesses follow the leaders..... hence mom and pop overcharges. At Chiang Mai rail station they tried that once at snack kiosk. Had charged 15 baht for Coke for local, then wanted 20 from me, so I questioned that. "Hee, hee.... ok 15 baht".

When I am in that situation, I don't buy it. I'd rather do without than give my money to a cheater. He only offered the real price because he was caught.

Yeah but what's the point of even buying a drink from a local vendor? 7-11 probably has at least one or two stores at the Chiang Mai railway station and only charges 13 Baht for a can of coke that's constantly cooled in a proper refridgerator, not just a box of ice.

The point is that at the 711 you might endup behind somebody coming to pay a bill which takes ages. Mum and pap stores don't have that.

And now they even do visa-services for burmese in the 711. I do like the shop but i hate to be in a long qeueu in there.

I hate that sh1t...whoever came up with the bill-pay scheme at 7-11 should be shot.

One would think that it would be a simple process...but it always seems to take lots of talk talk talk, lots of looking at the bill, lots of scanning and keying things in, lots of time.

Here in the village, the PEA office right across the street from 7-11, and three major banks are within a couple hundred meters either way...but I still see people with those bills in the 7-11.