Heartbreak as young British backpacker is found dead in Cambodia hostel

geovalin

Heartbreak as young British backpacker is found dead in Cambodia hostel

post-137452-0-64805300-1461373491_thumb.

SIHANOUKVILLE:-- A 24-year-old British backpacker has been found dead in a Cambodian hostel after suffering a suspected heart attack .

Jake Taylor, who has been named locally, had been staying at the 'Wish You Were Here Guesthouse' in Sihanoukville Province since February.

His body lay undiscovered at the hostel for four days before it was found in 40-degree heat without his passport, one report says.

Following the tragic discovery, Mr Taylor's body was taken to Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital , where it will be examined by experts.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/heartbreak-young-british-backpacker-found-7809670

It seems not only Thailand has this phenonema with young unexplained deaths.

And this, in a relatively quiet part of Cambodia with a relatively small population and expat community.

I guess sometime soon it must become obvious that these types of tourists are the ones contributing to their demise through their own lifestyle choices.

But as usual, we will soon see a horde of posts referring to the dangers of travelling S.E Asia, the savages, hatred of foreighners etc etc.

Still, it will be interesting to see how the usual suspects will be able to take this and spin it into a negative slur against Thailand.

And this, in a relatively quiet part of Cambodia with a relatively small population and expat community.

Quiet? It's hooker, booze and drugs central. Heart attack at 25 seems unlikely though.

Space Cat Bar used to be fun. All the drunks from CM with VISA problems moved there a year or two back.

I was next door when they found the body. Drugs are the #1 suspected cause of the death. Drugs are rampant in Cambodia. Whatever you want is easily and readily available. Anything....unfortunately.

I was sitting in a relatively nice bar in PP and watched a drug deal go down at the bar with the waitress supplying the stuff. Crazy. Right out in the open.

From what I heard, he was a very nice young man. RIP and condolences to his family.

Sihanoukville claims many lives but usually they are not 24 years of age

With the amount of drug abuse going on there, I'd guess quite a few die there. Perhaps some are never reported? At least in the English press???

Whatever you want, it's there. And right out in the open.

I spent a lot of time in Cambodia.

The people are genuinely friendly and I never had any major problems there.

As others have said drug use is rampant and to drug users it can be like in a candy shop.

Let's wait for the report before blaming Cambodian people as my experience with them has been different.

If it happened in thailand, well.....

As others have said drug use is rampant and to drug users it can be like in a candy shop.

Let's wait for the report before blaming Cambodian people as my experience with them has been different.

As is the case with many countries, the average person is OK. It's the government that's the problem. In this case, allowing drugs to be openly sold and used. Pure corruption.

I guess sometime soon it must become obvious that these types of tourists are the ones contributing to their demise through their own lifestyle choices.

But as usual, we will soon see a horde of posts referring to the dangers of travelling S.E Asia, the savages, hatred of foreighners etc etc.

Still, it will be interesting to see how the usual suspects will be able to take this and spin it into a negative slur against Thailand.

But I guess it's OK for you to slur this poor young soul even though you know nothing about what happened?

With respect, Snooky is not a quiet area. And has hordes of young travelers. Most doing drugs.

But I guess it's OK for you to slur this poor young soul even though you know nothing about what happened?

Yes true. His family may read, to get info. Best to respect the dead.

I will not take this anywhere except to say quote " relatively small population and expat community" unquote.

Can you please explain the relevance of your comment?

Sihanoukville​ is certainly not small and quiet any more. More likely trying to establish itself as Cambodia's version of Pattaya. The last time I was there for the weekend (some time ago now) an Australian girl was mugged and raped, a local man was found on the beach beaten to death and the police accidently shot a ten year pillion passenger when trying to shoot the teenager who was up front.

However the beaches were lovely and relatively empty.

I was next door when they found the body. Drugs are the #1 suspected cause of the death. Drugs are rampant in Cambodia. Whatever you want is easily and readily available. Anything....unfortunately.

I was sitting in a relatively nice bar in PP and watched a drug deal go down at the bar with the waitress supplying the stuff. Crazy. Right out in the open.

From what I heard, he was a very nice young man. RIP and condolences to his family.

I used to visit Kom Pong Som quite often back in the 90's - was 'quiet' back then, but I am sure not anymore - one thing pesters me............you were right next door, if he was dead for 4 days, in 40C heat, why didn't you or someone else smell the body?? - I have seen (smelled) bodies start to decompose in two days in that kind of heat and you can smell them a long way off - Just asking.

Cambodia is a treacherous place, people think Thailand is bad?? I knew of five Americans that dies under questionable circumstances in the two years I was in Pig Penh. Khmers women look nice, plump, and sweet, until you piss them off, most jealous people on the planet, not just bar girls either, the kids are equally dangerous.

RIP to the young man, that pbly smoked a little too much heroin, mixed with yaa baa - heart attack at twenty five, Yeah Right.coffee1.gif coffee1.gif

Quiet? It's hooker, booze and drugs central. Heart attack at 25 seems unlikely though.

Space Cat Bar used to be fun. All the drunks from CM with VISA problems moved there a year or two back.

"Quiet? It's hooker, booze and drugs central".....yeah great aint it!

I used to visit Kom Pong Som quite often back in the 90's - was 'quiet' back then, but I am sure not anymore - one thing pesters me............you were right next door, if he was dead for 4 days, in 40C heat, why didn't you or someone else smell the body?? - I have seen (smelled) bodies start to decompose in two days in that kind of heat and you can smell them a long way off - Just asking.

Cambodia is a treacherous place, people think Thailand is bad?? I knew of five Americans that dies under questionable circumstances in the two years I was in Pig Penh. Khmers women look nice, plump, and sweet, until you piss them off, most jealous people on the planet, not just bar girls either, the kids are equally dangerous.

RIP to the young man, that pbly smoked a little too much heroin, mixed with yaa baa - heart attack at twenty five, Yeah Right.coffee1.gif coffee1.gif

I was in the hotel next door, and on the other side of the hotel, so a bit bar away. It was found by the maid. I thought we heard he'd been dead for 2 days. And yes, it was the smell that alerted the maid. I met the guy in the room next to this man. Even he didn't smell anything.

Cambodia is a very dangerous place. Lousy police, lousy hospitals, drug violence, lots of guns. It was interesting for a 1 week trip, but I prefer Thailand. Warts and all.

RIP to the young man and condolences to his family.

As is the case with many countries, the average person is OK. It's the government that's the problem. In this case, allowing drugs to be openly sold and used. Pure corruption.

You are absolutely wrong. Every adult in Cambodia is a survivor of Pol Pot (not many), or was one of his minions.

A complete nation of people raised on absolute merciless brutality. They are good at hiding their brutal backgrounds, the ones in tourist resorts anyway.

Most of the decant Cambodians were killed, a few escaped.

Pol Pot and his regime fell around 1978, replaced by a Vietnamese puppet government who fought the Khmer Rouge for the next 20 years, everyone over 30 now, participated, everyone else was brought up by brutalized parents. It's a really scary place.

You are absolutely wrong. Every adult in Cambodia is a survivor of Pol Pot (not many), or was one of his minions.

A complete nation of people raised on absolute merciless brutality. They are good at hiding their brutal backgrounds, the ones in tourist resorts anyway.

Most of the decant Cambodians were killed, a few escaped.

Pol Pot and his regime fell around 1978, replaced by a Vietnamese puppet government who fought the Khmer Rouge for the next 20 years, everyone over 30 now, participated, everyone else was brought up by brutalized parents. It's a really scary place.

That's a bunch of malarkey.

"Two-thirds of the population is under 30, making Cambodia one of the youngest nations in Asia, according to United Nations estimates. The first generation to grow up after the horrors of the Khmer Rouge regime faded and the economy began to grow at a rapid clip, they are better educated and more skeptical than previous generations."

It's the small, rapidly diminishing generation of grandparents that lived under the Khmer Rouge. The only exposure these kids have had to it is maybe a class trip to the S 21 prison during grade school. On the whole I find them happy, peaceful, optimistic, even in the face of a sometimes grinding poverty. Most of them are completely focused on improving their lot in life materially and yes politically.

It's a far far cry from the Thai youth culture of violence typified by the school gang shootings so rampant today. As a barang living in Phnom Penh I walk without fear

It's the small, rapidly diminishing generation of grandparents that lived under the Khmer Rouge. The only exposure these kids have had to it is maybe a class trip to the S 21 prison during grade school. On the whole I find them happy, peaceful, optimistic, even in the face of a sometimes grinding poverty. Most of them are completely focused on improving their lot in life materially and yes politically.

It's a far far cry from the Thai youth culture of violence typified by the school gang shootings so rampant today. As a barang living in Phnom Penh I walk without fear

Let me do a small calculation, a lot of the Khmer soldiers were in their early teens.

http://www.rfa.org/english/blog/cambodiablog/blog6_cambodia_southerland-20060720.html

So 1979-13 = 1966, if they were born before 1966 they were probably Khmer soldiers.

That's almost every male over 50 in the country was part of Pol Pot's regime.

Now if you include the survivors of the civil wars over the next 18 years, you can increase that to nearly everyone over 32 years old.

The "civil wars" after 1979 were fights with remnants of the Khmer Rouge and limited to a few border regions. The majority of the population was unaffected.

And as noted before, the great majority of the population were born well after 1966. In fact, most were born during the baby boom of 1980- early 1990s.

Archived