cost of living for 1 adult and 2 children in Chaing Mai

Clive

Can anyone please tell me what the cost of living is like in Chaing Mai for a family.
Looking to move back to thailand after many years away so unsure of the cost.
Looking at rent, food utilities, cost of motorbike, health insurance etc
Not looking at cost of schools so please don't comment on that if you could be so kind please.
Thank you

I would say it all depends on what kind of school you want for your children, good and cheap education is hard to find.

Rent. 12.000 a month for average house.

Motorbike, 20.000 for a second hand.

Food, 5.000 a week, for foreign food, Thai food much cheaper.

Edited by kalbo123

You are far too vague!!

What kind of property
What are you going to eat? Western food/Thai Food?

Buy a motorbike?

Health Insurance for whom? Thai children?Luk Khreung/You?/Wife?

People live in CM in shoeboxes and eat street food. They also live in 5MB houses on gated estates and spend a fortune in Rimping

80K per person comes to about 7200 USD/month by my math; you might be able to squeak by on that.

Well then what is the verb for less than 'squeak' because that's what I'll be doing. Guess I'll be living on a whisper budget.

Oh wait, you multiplied by 3, phew I am just above the poverty line ( or in Thai terms - rich )

Edited by Aussie69

I was being a smart ass about the 7200. Seems to me 80K as a base figure should be enough a to get along comfortably, the OP says school's not an issue, add school in and you'd probably need more. Health care and insurance could jack it up though depending on the situation

Edited by Rob13

My wife manages the basics budget of our house (2 adults, one child). Mortgage (6500B/month), electricity, water, internet, food, cleaning supplies, clothing, toiletries etc, all the basics except fuel for the car, 23000B/month.

Our budget is larger than this, we paid 10000B/month for a car over 48 months (140,000B down), a return visit to the UK thus year will set us back around 130000B all in, we put aside 3000B a week for luxury - days out, meals at nice restaurants etc. My daughter has just signed up for 50hrs of swimming classes at 2100B, she speaks Thai so we can get that cheap, activities with a western instructor would cost more. Then there are one off costs, coming up we will be replacing a motorbike, 43000B cost expected.

The extras add up, the answer to your question is what extras do you need? 23000B for essentials though.

^ Yeah.

Where's that beach guy poster that lives on 5k baht p/m.

100k baht minimum to be any where near as comfortable as you should be.

250-300k baht p/m and life should be as good as it should be. Not including international trips and holidays for the kids. The rest you should put away.

I was being a smart ass about the 7200. Seems to me 80K as a base figure should be enough a to get along comfortably, the OP says school's not an issue, add school in and you'd probably need more. Health care and insurance could jack it up though depending on the situation

I think that figure is a good one. The one thing that could affect it severely is his age as that will have a bearing on the cost of insurance.

Yes he could do it for a lot less and Yes he could do it for a lot more. It is a fair price in my estimation to start with.

You are far too vague!!

What kind of property

Buy a motorbike?

People live in CM in shoeboxes and eat street food. They also live in 5MB houses on gated estates and spend a fortune in Rimping

You put 5MB as the high end ??

You asked all the same questions in your thread from last February and was answered.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896649-cost-of-living-for-family-outside-of-bkk/

How many more times do you want it explained?

Good to see HappyGrumpy has maintained his position of living high on the hog

Edited by Rob13

You are far too vague!!

What kind of property

Buy a motorbike?

You put 5MB as the high end ??

he must have meant low end. Most of my friends houses are in the 15-23million bt range

You asked all the same questions in your thread from last February and was answered.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896649-cost-of-living-for-family-outside-of-bkk/

How many more times do you want it explained?

Good to see HappyGrumpy has maintained his position of living high on the hog

So as not to disappoint, here is the same reply I gave Clive 2 months ago.

It depends on how you and your family want to live? Dirt poor rock bottom Thai family village local style, basic Thai family style, minimum just scrape by budgeted Farlang family style, comfortable not much over the basics Farlang family style or expect all mod cons and amenities, air con, cars, Satellite TV, high speed Internet, regular socializing, eating out, eating mostly Farlang type foods and medical insurance.

Tell me what category you think you`ll fit into and I`ll tell you roughly what your cost of living should be.

What about their schooling?

He clearly stated not to comment on schooling

It's important. What about their schooling? Does he care about his children? How will they be educated?

No one said education was unimportant. Since he's lived in Thailand before he may have already checked with schools on their cost. He simply asked not to include that in estimates and specifically ( or rather vaguely actually, given the absence of useful details) asked about housing, food, utilities, transport and health care.