alternative teevee streaming service for Chiang Mai ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup,

for Windows

I have been using the thaiexpat.tv (paid) service, and, when it works, it works well, and I like their application, and the range of content they provide, but, lately their application crashes when I try to load it, sometimes requiring up to twelve attempts to get the app to connect. While I've sent the service the technical details on the failure, they seem incapable of resolving the issue.

So, I'm considering switching to some other paid service. Got to have the BBC channels, some movie channels that offer something more than bang-bang-gang-bang-you-die dramas. I'm not averse to buying a set-top box, and I am looking for an annual cost under 10k baht.

Appreciate your response.

cheers, ~o:37;

Same problem with me in Chiang Mai. 3BB connection, which has been excellent up to now has started dropping out for a couple of minutes. Just long enough to disrupt everything really.

Edited by Saraphee

Im running an Android box which cost just 5000 baht. No fees apart from the 3BB fibre connection.

Sports, movies, news from around the world and no extra charge....cant complain with that

Edited by CMKiwi

3BB/Netflix.

Yes, you can get Netflix legally, here, but, you will not get the range of content you'd get outside Thailand: for example, the substantial range of content rated more than 16+. And, if you try to log-in with a VPN, they will detect that, and stop you from viewing ... although: logging in with a VPN, you can see the summary information for the content you can't access. It amounts to de facto censorship. Strangely, they do expose some content here that would be rated adult, such as the Australian series "Wentworth Prison," "Sense 8," etc.

What the actual factors are that result in the substantial content I mention not being available here ... do not interest me, and I think discussing them may lead us into some off-topic (for ThaiVisa) waters where we, farangs, are more likely to be chum than sharks.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Same problem with me in Chiang Mai. 3BB connection, which has been excellent up to now has started dropping out for a couple of minutes. Just long enough to disrupt everything really.

I see strong evidence that the failure to connect is not because of 3BB, and I am competent enough as a Windows programmer to make that statement with confidence.

Im running an Android box which cost just 5000 baht. No fees apart from the 3BB fibre connection.

Sports, movies, news from around the world and no extra charge....cant complain with that

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if you said more about the source of the content you watch through the box. I am looking for a 100% legal source of content ... please do not think I am implying you are doing anything dodgy, but someone, somewhere, has to license high-quality content, and I can't believe that just purchasing a box gives you a fee-free license to watch, forever.

3BB/Netflix.

Does Netflix have BBC channels,News and Sports ?

regards Worgeordie

NetFlix has tons of content, but no teevee channels the likes of BBC. Of the content NetFlix has, I estimate ... using my opinionated elderly curmudgeon filtering algorithm ... that I'd be interested in actually watching 1% of the content they make available in Thailand.

The android box I have came installed with what is called Kodi and another programme called TV Addons.

This thereby allows me to search or add things like movie providers, sports, news etc.

No cost to me and no pop ups saying that I'm breaching anything.

I'm very happy with it.

Orang, you want legal? ilikehd.tv is as legal as thaiexpat.tv. But there is no legal way of streaming UK television unless you have a UK TV licence and are here on holiday.

If it's UK TV you want, Filmon.com or the Filmon app will give you the free channels.

Am heartily sick of WETV. Where can I get an Android Box and can the supplier set everything up as I am Technically HOPELESS ?

The android box I have came installed with what is called Kodi and another programme called TV Addons.

This thereby allows me to search or add things like movie providers, sports, news etc.

No cost to me and no pop ups saying that I'm breaching anything.

I'm very happy with it

Where did you purchase it.

Am heartily sick of WETV. Where can I get an Android Box and can the supplier set everything up as I am Technically HOPELESS ?

I am in the same boat as you. Definitely need some one to set it up.

3BB/Netflix.

Yes, you can get Netflix legally, here, but, you will not get the range of content you'd get outside Thailand: for example, the substantial range of content rated more than 16+. And, if you try to log-in with a VPN, they will detect that, and stop you from viewing ... although: logging in with a VPN, you can see the summary information for the content you can't access. It amounts to de facto censorship. Strangely, they do expose some content here that would be rated adult, such as the Australian series "Wentworth Prison," "Sense 8," etc.

What the actual factors are that result in the substantial content I mention not being available here ... do not interest me, and I think discussing them may lead us into some off-topic (for ThaiVisa) waters where we, farangs, are more likely to be chum than sharks.

~o:37;

It might be worth your while going to some of the Australian forums - particularly on Whirlpool. Much unhappiness when netflix brought in VPN blocking as many Aussies subscribe to BOTH US an the new Aus versions of Netflix (for reasons I don't understand). I have no interest in it myself, but from the odd comment I've seen in unrealted forums, it didn't take long for them to find a way of getting around the VPN ban.

As previously noted, unless you pay a UK television licence fee, it is not legal to watch any UK station (even within UK) unless you subscribe to a cable or satellite provider who has paid the appropriate licence fee to broadcast some of the programs shown. There are many versions of expat TV, everywhere there are a lot of Brit expats. Spain and Cyprus spring to mind as having a lot of competition in this market, but as with the expat TV providers here in Asia, it is not 100% legal, therefore you may be better with something like Filmon which is reliable, you pay if you want HD rather than SD and recording/saving capabilities. I believe the only exception to this is BBC World News, but even that is something of a grey area as True Vision here will be paying the BBC a licencing fee to broadcast it, if indeed they do. Many other world news services such as Al Jazerra and Sky News International and many minor ones such as Russia Today, the Korean one I can't remember the name of and Asia Network News (?) from Singapore are available for online viewing - the link to live broadcast is on their home page, therefore 100% legal.

Sorry if this doesn't solve your problem, it just expands on what is and is not fully legal. The UK does have a very inclusive attitude, but the national broadcaster is funded by the licence fee people pay rather than being at the mercy of general revenue granted by the government as is the case in Australia. Even the local radio station from back home that I listen to goes to 'dead air' when there is a football commentary on. We can usually listen to the prematch chit chat, but one the whistle blows, the broadcast stops, and Middlesboro aren't even in the premier league (yet). Same goes for Hartlepool, who are in about division 10. It's all to do with legal rights that companies outside of UK pay to broadcast these things - although who would want to broadcast a radio commentary of Hartlepool vs Donny Rovers outside of those 2 particular small area's is totally beyond me.