Dhammakaya abbot fails to appear at DSI office again to hear formal charges

webfact

Dhammakaya abbot fails to appear at DSI office again to hear formal charges

DSI-wpcf_728x409.png

BANGKOK: -- Phra Dhamachayo, the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya failed to appear at the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to acknowledge charges this morning.

The controversial abbot was summoned to appear by 9 am today to hear three charges, conspiracy in money laundering, money laundering, and theft.

However only his lawyer appeared at the DSI headquarters but declined to speak to a large group of journalists waiting for his appearance.

The lawyer went immediately inside the investigators’ room and spent half an hour before coming out and left without giving interview.

Earlier on April 20, the abbot’s lawyer sought the postponement of the appearance for acknowledgement of charges reasoning that Phra Dhammachayo had religious affairs to perform

It was the second request for postponement today.

But DSI investigators said no more postponement would be allowed, adding if he didn’t arrive today, they would meet to discuss further action to deal with him.

Phra Dhammachayo faces three charges that were related to the alleged embezzlement of over two billion baht fund from the Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative embezzlement scandal.

Bangkok Post reported that the monk allegedly is one of the recipients of 878 cheques worth a combined 11 billion baht paid by former cooperative chairman Supachai Srisupa-aksorn, who admitted siphoning money from the cooperative’s accounts during 2013 and has been sentenced by the Criminal Court to 16 years in jail.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160892

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-25

Dhammachayo to face arrest if he fails to show up by 4 pm today

525_DSI-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation will give Phra Dhammachayo, abbot of Wat Dhamakaya, until 4 pm today, or else arrest warrant will be issued.

Latest action came after the controversial abbot failed to appear at the DSI office by the 9.00 am deadline today to acknowledge three charges involving with the alleged embezzlement of 11 billion baht fund from Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative.

The abbot will be given until 4 pm today to come and hear formal charges against him.

Earier the abbot’s lawyer tried to seek postponement of the acknowledgement until late in May, but this was rejected as postponement could be made possible only once.

If he fails to arrive at 4 pm, the DSI will issue warrant for his arrest today.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160913

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-25

Disgraceful yet indicative of LoS. Certain people make a fool of this country and the authorities are complicit.

Go on lads and do your duty, There must be some students you can pick on

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I'll believe they will arrest him when I see it, not before.

I'd love to see these arrest warrants, does the suspect get to fill in the time, date and location of appearance ?

At their discretion of course.

If I had embezzled 11 Billion baht, the first thing I would do is get a new identity, passport and documents to match and disappear, to an unsuspecting part of the world, never to be seen or heard of again.

What is this todger hanging around for? just to rub it in and thumb his nose at the authorities?? while handing out large brown envelops to the heads of those authorities

Edited by FourAces

If I had embezzled 11 Billion baht, the first thing I would do is get a new identity, passport and documents to match and disappear, to an unsuspecting part of the world, never to be seen or heard of again.

What is this todger hanging around for? just to rub it in and thumb his nose at the authorities?? while handing out large brown envelops to the heads of those authorities

This guy has links to the paymaster, maybe he therefore thinks he is above the law.

While I wouldn't say the odds of arrest are high, they are considerably higher than under most past administrations IMHO.

Just throw him in jail.

I've lived close to their UFO-like ridiculously opulent "wat" and I've witnessed the damage they've made in the neighborhood. It's nothing more than a money-stealing sect.

UFO

Unbelievably Fatuous Object?

While I wouldn't say the odds of arrest are high, they are considerably higher than under most past administrations IMHO.

It's higher due to political expediency.

When you've done it once - and think you've got away with it, you want to do it again. And again and again. Greed.

Would you care to explain what is expedient about prosecuting a popular and powerful figure for his blatant criminality? Or is this another version of "politically motivated" you use to deride the charges against another blatant criminal?

Would you care to explain what is expedient about prosecuting a popular and powerful figure for his blatant criminality? Or is this another version of "politically motivated" you use to deride the charges against another blatant criminal?

Your about as funny as a broken leg! And what has 'popular' got to do with this matter.

Many folks are well aware of the well documented background, activities, and connections of this chap. no real need to give details.

But perhaps you believe that 'popular' people should be excused from legal action?

Or perhaps you believe that a monk accepting billions of Baht without question is ethical and just fine and dandy?

And perhaps you believe that a monk busy organizing a grand birthday party for himself has the right to ignore and show contempt for the law and the process of the law?

Edited by scorecard

The blatant criminality will have to be proven in court. No doubt those are very serious charges and he is not above the law and should not behave like one. This case is also a proxy war for the color coded politics and he know full well what I meant.

Just throw him in jail.

I've lived close to their UFO-like ridiculously opulent "wat" and I've witnessed the damage they've made in the neighborhood. It's nothing more than a money-stealing sect.

UFO

Unbelievably Fatuous Object?

This would describe it alright indeed, but I was referring to the shape, really like a flying saucer laugh.png

Disgraceful yet indicative of LoS. Certain people make a fool of this country and the authorities are complicit.

Go on lads and do your duty, There must be some students you can pick on

Or some elderly bridge-players

Politically motivated monks in Thailand? please say it isn't so!

'Who will rid us of this petulant priest'? Arrest him. He is a suspect after all.coffee1.gif

"Will no-one rid me of this troublesome priest?" uttered by King Henry II about Thomas Becket.

I doubt anyone in this country has the nerve to bring Dhammajayo to heel .

"TRT and Dhammakaya Temple – perfect matchThe Nation, September 27, 2006

…The former abbot of Phra Dhammakaya Temple was the first one to initiate contact with members of Thai Rak Thai. It was decided that the Thai Rak Thai Party would have Dhammakaya’s backing. Thai Rak Thai representatives were given the opportunity to speak to the temple’s followers, who were urged to cast their votes for the party, as it would naturally be beneficial for their master and temple.

According to the law of karma as promoted by the temple, Thaksin Shinawatra was hailed as the ideal lay Buddhist, who had been blessed by the merit of his past lives and was endowed with a great many virtues. The temple played a song praising Thaksin composed by the Phra Dhammajayo himself on its Dow Tham satellite television channel – broadcasting 24 hours a day. However, the gathering clouds of controversies and criminal investigations surrounding him prevented Thaksin from visiting the temple. Nevertheless, senior Thai Rak Thai leaders, such as Sudarat Keyuraphan and Suriya Jungrungreangkit, began regularly attending the monastery…"

http://2bangkok.com/thaksins-temple-dhammakaya.html

It's a pseudo Buddhist criminal sect. Money making engine. Scientology, Mun in Corea and others are the role model.

Basic Teaching is: Give money and you have a good rebirth. Catholic teaching of the Middle Age.