Why the incredible traffic congestion in Pattaya?

Asiantravel

I keep wondering why on earth they spent all that money constructing the extra lane adjoining the beach when you can still effectively only use 2 lanes out of 4?

When the NCPO took over immediately after the coup I thought things were really going to change and it was good for a while because they were enforcing parking restrictions in the bus stop zones.

Now nobody seems to care and I’ve even seen those bus stop zones occupied by food vendors . And how far can you travel down the adjoining lane before encountering a baht bus or a stationary vehicle with its blinkers flashing for whatever reason. What a shameful waste of moneybah.gif

would it be that difficult for them to implement a loading zone system in the far lane allowing delivery trucks but not long-term parking and certainly banning double parking?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think maybe they've been playing with the traffic light timings too, as they do. Nua was open for a long time today so quite ok. Tai was unpleasant, but then it always is.

yes on sukhumvit at the light just north of theprasit the other night they changed the light cycle to RIDICULOUSLY long. Eventually everyone just started to run the red light from two different directions because there was no traffic coming from the side soi. Congrats to the traffic engineers for making things absolute chaos.

" I find my greatest discomfort is the frustration of being so completely powerless to do anything about things such as we've been discussing here "

So very, very true.

Were either of you able to make a difference in you home countries?

or just afforded more able public services?

As has been stated above, the reason is busses filled with Chinese tourists. Traffic

is one of the reasons I ride a scooter (as dangerous as that is). The world is full of

choices, that is my choice. If travel by car, keep the air-con cranked, the tunes

playing, and remain patient.

Funny the choices people make in life...I choose to do just the opposite. I would never drive a scooter in Pattaya/Thailand (unless on a remote island or mountain resort area). I prefer to ride in relative safety, air-con comfort, and if stuck in traffic...reading, listening to podcasts, or watching a movie. I'm rarely more than 5-10 minutes behind a scooter riding friend if we're taking off from the same point and meeting somewhere else...and my life and comfort is certainly worth 5-10 minutes...maybe even 15.

I am thinking the same thing , why are they doing this to themselves ? Older westerners on scooters in this crazy heat, the risk of ending up in an accident is always high in Thailand.

I just watch them from the inside of my comfortable car , air-con , relaxed music and I know I will reach my destination a few minutes later with great pleasure.

I never understood this fascination for scooters , especially not here.

As has been stated above, the reason is busses filled with Chinese tourists. Traffic

is one of the reasons I ride a scooter (as dangerous as that is). The world is full of

choices, that is my choice. If travel by car, keep the air-con cranked, the tunes

Funny the choices people make in life...I choose to do just the opposite. I would never drive a scooter in Pattaya/Thailand (unless on a remote island or mountain resort area). I prefer to ride in relative safety, air-con comfort, and if stuck in traffic...reading, listening to podcasts, or watching a movie. I'm rarely more than 5-10 minutes behind a scooter riding friend if we're taking off from the same point and meeting somewhere else...and my life and comfort is certainly worth 5-10 minutes...maybe even 15.

I am thinking the same thing , why are they doing this to themselves ? Older westerners on scooters in this crazy heat, the risk of ending up in an accident is always high in Thailand.

I just watch them from the inside of my comfortable car , air-con , relaxed music and I know I will reach my destination a few minutes later with great pleasure.

I never understood this fascination for scooters , especially not here.

I have done both for 20 years here, done over 150,000 kilometers.

just take very special care, yes it can go wrong, so what, you cant be frightened every day of your life.

please come out from under the covers. shock1.gifshock1.gif

Edited by onemorechang

" I find my greatest discomfort is the frustration of being so completely powerless to do anything about things such as we've been discussing here "

So very, very true.

Both, kaorop. In the USA, any citizen can protest at any political level, from township to national government, through elected representatives. For matters such as we discuss here, you can go to town/city council meetings, and take the floor to protest; taking with you, if you've done some homework, a petition signed by other residents, or those residents themselves.Things can and do get done by people taking action when there are infrastructure problems. ... And, while there certainly is corruption everywhere in the world, it's much more difficult to get away with in most places in the USA because the people have a vote on major construction projects; and the press is MUCH more active in investigating and exposing corruption.

(Please hold the comments on "why don't you move back". My reasons are primarily financial and family related, and are none of your damn business! While I can't change things here, I still have the right to complain about things that I don't like.)

So very, very true.

Rarely felt the need to make a difference there because most of the roads are engineered well. Although I sometimes do get frustrated with the restrictions they put on where you can and can not turn....etc. Voicing that opinion would be pointless because they would never go in the direction of more driver freedom.

If traffic is really heavy and backed up like it has been lately, it would take a lot longer than 5-10 more minutes for me to drive home from Central or the Avenue at 9-10PM. Its relatively safe to drive through gridlocked traffic because most cars are moving slowly or not at all. I have a car and a bike. I sometimes take the bike because i don't like to sit in a car while its stopped even with a podcast playing and air conditioning.

If traffic is really heavy and backed up like it has been lately, it would take a lot longer than 5-10 more minutes for me to drive home from Central or the Avenue at 9-10PM. Its relatively safe to drive through gridlocked traffic because most cars are moving slowly or not at all. I have a car and a bike. I sometimes take the bike because i don't like to sit in a car while its stopped even with a podcast playing and air conditioning.

This guy probably thought it was safe and faster to ride a bike too... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913077-german-dead-after-head-on-smash-with-pattaya-tour-bus/

I'll stick to the air-con comfort and relative safety of my car thank you. I don't mind being a little behind the fire-brigade if it means I get where I'm going alive.

Good points but not sure about your friend driving the scooter. I can tell you on a heavy traffic day I will be 15-30 minutes ahead of someone in a car minimum going say for instance from Jomtien to Central.

This guy probably thought it was safe and faster to ride a bike too... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913077-german-dead-after-head-on-smash-with-pattaya-tour-bus/

I'll stick to the air-con comfort and relative safety of my car thank you. I don't mind being a little behind the fire-brigade if it means I get where I'm going alive.

Look everyone knows a car is safer than a motorcycle. Picking out a news article of a guy who died on a big bike traveling at high speed without a helmet getting into a head on collision doesn't really prove anything now does it?

Look everyone knows a car is safer than a motorcycle. Picking out a news article of a guy who died on a big bike traveling at high speed without a helmet getting into a head on collision doesn't really prove anything now does it?

It demonstrates that if he was driving in a motor vehicle rather than sitting outside on a two-wheeled contraption, he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch and not lying cold and stiff in the morgue somewhere. The point has been made that traffic congestion is a problem in Pattaya, which it is sometimes, and some chose a motorbike to get around easier/faster and my reply is that I'm willing to trade a little time for a much safer (and more comfortable) ride. Everyone has to make their own choice (and for many, their finances makes the choice for them).

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Good points but not sure about your friend driving the scooter. I can tell you on a heavy traffic day I will be 15-30 minutes ahead of someone in a car minimum going say for instance from Jomtien to Central.

About 45min difference from southern dark side to central on Friday/Saturday evenings. The only time I grudgingly take a motocy taxi.

It's not just the travel time, try parking a car on Soi Bhuakao or Soi 7. I don't want my 1 million baht car scratched trying to fit down a small soi.

It demonstrates that if he was driving in a motor vehicle rather than sitting outside on a two-wheeled contraption, he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch and not lying cold and stiff in the morgue somewhere. The point has been made that traffic congestion is a problem in Pattaya, which it is sometimes, and some chose a motorbike to get around easier/faster and my reply is that I'm willing to trade a little time for a much safer (and more comfortable) ride. Everyone has to make their own choice (and for many, their finances makes the choice for them).

Shame, you were doing so well up to then. facepalm.gif

Why, he is correct.

Lighten up a bit.

If that is the case it also demonstrates that:

If both of them had been on bikes he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

If he was on the right side of the road he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

If he had a helmet on he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

If there was no traffic on the road he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

I could go on....so in effect that link proves nothing.

Could the same be said for any car accidents when people have died.... If he wasn't in that small 4 wheeled contraption and was driving a semi trailer then he would probably be alive right now eating his lunch.

If he wasn't in that semi trailer contraption and was in a plane he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch......

Personally I feel more threatened by you driving a car while you are reading or watching a movie.

If that is the case it also demonstrates that:

If both of them had been on bikes he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

If he was on the right side of the road he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

If he had a helmet on he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

If there was no traffic on the road he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch.

I could go on....so in effect that link proves nothing.

Could the same be said for any car accidents when people have died.... If he wasn't in that small 4 wheeled contraption and was driving a semi trailer then he would probably be alive right now eating his lunch.

If he wasn't in that semi trailer contraption and was in a plane he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch......

Personally I feel more threatened by you driving a car while you are reading or watching a movie.

" Personally I feel more threatened by you driving a car while you are reading or watching a movie "thumbsup.gif

and a motorcycle rider doesn't text on their cell phones while riding and the fact that a competent rider can evade accidents better as he or she can see more and the controls like brakes are easier to reach on a motorbike and the reaction times are faster. of course this doesn't evade the fact though that an accident that just puts a dent in a car could land a rider on a hospital bed but the fact that a riders field of vision is further and wider than that of a car driver makes them safe as they can avoid an accident happening in the first place.

Silly to argue over the relative safety of cars vs. motorbikes, gentlemen. Statistics make it abundantly clear that a significantly higher percentage of accidents, injuries, and deaths occur to drivers of motorbikes than to drivers of cars. End of story.

Yes, my bad there...I meant right. I believe it helps somewhat to prevent congestion by doing this but of course, it can be done further down the street and at the foodland entrance. Every little bit helps. The entry isn't closed, just the access from the west-bound central road traffic.

But it DOESN'T help. It's just another example of Soi 9's p!ss poor idea of traffic management. They do the same at the Big C back entrance on Pattaya Tai and further up at the Soi 1 and Soi 2 junctions. The cops come along some time after 4 PM, drag out a couple of 'No Parking' frames, set them edge-on in the middle of Pattaya Tai opposite these two junctions, run some red plastic string between them.... and then bugger off. Typically some time later, a bus coming out of Soi 2 breaks the string, blocks the traffic both ways for 3 or 4 minutes and then it's back to a free free for all. If the cops didn't erect these silly no right turn barriers and stuck around directing traffic, then it would move faster. But that's too much like hard work.

On Sunday morning I turned right off the 7 onto Sukhumvit, entering the left lane so as to go up Pattaya Nua.

There is just the one inside lane for turning left into Pattaya Nua. However, the Thai drivers made 3 lanes, and both the outside lanes were attempting to push into the inner lanes, patta Nia road was totally full.

Not a policeman to be seen, Saturday, Sunday or yesterday,

If you are not in the correct lane for either turning left or right, then you should have to continue straight on. Anything else should warrant a 5,000baht fine! The problem is the Thai attitude ME FIRST!!!

There's only 1 solution to that, and it's not a human solution (those won't work - the "me first" is too engrained): don't just paint the divider lines to the turn-off lane, but make them 20cm high concrete. All the way, up to and including where the turn-off road is. It's been done in quite a few places in BKK; I don't see why it couldn't be done here.

Good solution but there's Pattaya Soi 32 less than 100 m from the Sukhumvit-Nua junction which is used by the more savvy to avoid the gridlock on Nua and either cut across to Third or cut back along Paniadchang and come out on Klang just behind Big C Extra. If they make the turn lane barrier too long, this traffic will be stuffed as well. Mind you, making the barrier extend past Soi 32 would stop the occasional bloody bus trying to get onto Sukhumvit as Soi 32 which is narrow and totally blocked when one of those buggers comes through.

Either way, those removable (when empty) orange plastic, water-filled highway barriers are all that's required; the same ones that they have used to stop (most) east-bound 4-wheel traffic making a u-turn where Nua meets Sukhumvit.

I think maybe they've been playing with the traffic light timings too, as they do. Nua was open for a long time today so quite ok. Tai was unpleasant, but then it always is.

yes on sukhumvit at the light just north of theprasit the other night they changed the light cycle to RIDICULOUSLY long. Eventually everyone just started to run the red light from two different directions because there was no traffic coming from the side soi. Congrats to the traffic engineers for making things absolute chaos.

Traffic engineers? You wish. The traffic light timing chaos on Pattaya's junctions are solely the creation of Sgt Somchai and his ilk, in their little airconditioned boxes, texting their mia noi's and picking their noses while pondering a bowl of noodles. When he and his mates decide they've had enough, lock up and bugger off, after switching the traffic light control system back to 'automatic', the traffic flows much better.

...and a motorcycle rider doesn't text on their cell phones while riding...

I can assure you that even the average Pattaya bar girl can text and ride while artfully weaving one-handed into the gaps between cars.... and then she sees some food on a cart and stops dead, right in front of you.

But back on topic, the reason for the sudden but prolonged, inexplicable traffic jams in Pattaya has been explained already. Extended local holidays. Some people had a week off before Songkran and some had the week off after Songkran and others took the whole bloody lot plus Labour Day next Monday AND two more days for Coronation Day. All because the guy in charge of bringing happiness to the people decreed as such and the great unwashed have sucked it all up and have taken weeks and weeks of unpaid vacation. We can only hope that most of them run out of money by this weekend, no?

Why, he is correct.

Lighten up a bit.

No his not.

Everyone who has a car has a bike apart from the Pussies, but yes loads of them about on TV giggle.gif

Lighten up man wai2.gif

I've come to the conclusion that the average Thai doesn't care if they are stuck in the traffic for 45 minutes or two hours. That's why nothing is done to improve the traffic flow. It's as simple as that.

It beats working or staying in their one room apartments with no AC.

It's not just the travel time, try parking a car on Soi Bhuakao or Soi 7. I don't want my 1 million baht car scratched trying to fit down a small soi.

Used to go to Pooks Bar all the time in the evening on Bua Khow...car parking never a problem...often parked right in front. Also plenty of parking in nearby side sois. Also, one has to know the parking hacks...like free parking at Opey de Place hotel with purchase at Loaf Bakery...buy a muffin for tomorrows breakfast = "free" parking all nite.

Soi 7...park on Central Road or Tops market and walk over a block. Again, if you buy something in Tops two hours free parking. (I think Tops is still there but not been for a few months). Also often parking available on Second Road...no need to actually drive down congested soi 7 itself.

You're not coming in loud and clear...I made the observation that many people, including some of my friends, can't afford to own and operate a car in Thailand. It is a neutral observation and true in many countries, and thus they are forced to rely on their own motos, moto taxis, or baht-buses. I would suggest the baht-buses as I can't even recall the last time a passenger in one was injured or killed in a road accident (I'm sure it's happened but very infrequently).