Thousands make first crossing on foot between Krabi islands

snoop1130

Thousands make first crossing on foot between Krabi islands
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-69413200-1461590575_thumb.

KRABI: -- Thousands of members of the public turned out on Saturday to make the first crossing on foot between Lanta Noi and Lanta Yai islands, with the official opening of the recently completed Lanta Bridge in Krabi.

Krabi Governor Pinit Boonlert chaired the opening ceremony of the 400-million-baht bridge. The event was titled ‛Starry Night Over Lanta Bridge’.

“It was the dream of Lanta locals to have this bridge, and now the government has given it to them,” said Krabi Governor Pinit. “It is the first bridge in Thailand’s history to be constructed between two islands.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Thousands-first-crossing-foot-Krabi-islands/63760?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-25

Imagine just about every island resident attended that opening weekend ceremony. Biggest development in years, and just one more bridge to go it'll probably become another Phuket. Their property values just went up a notch, but for lovers of old Lanta it's the beginning of the end.

Drone video here: https://youtu.be/scRHIliIBiE

I like the idea of that bridge, gives lot's more options for exploring by m/c, just hope there's not one planned from the mainland.

Nicolas32, on 25 Apr 2016 - 22:15, said:

doesn't look that strong to be fair .. so god help us ..

Thailand_Koh_Lanta_new_bridge_0489_1.JPG

If you look at the drone video, you will see that the bridge has many, many supports and lots of lights...It looks like a first class bridge to me but I am not a engineer...

Nicolas32, on 25 Apr 2016 - 22:15, said:

doesn't look that strong to be fair .. so god help us ..

Thailand_Koh_Lanta_new_bridge_0489_1.JPG

If you look at the drone video, you will see that the bridge has many, many supports and lots of lights...It looks like a first class bridge to me but I am not a engineer...

seen many still pictures

I'm no engineer but do lights really help the bridge stay up?

Possibly maritime safety measures.

As one poster already pointed out, sort of funny to do this bridge before the mainland to Lanta noi as that is the bigger ferry distance between the two.

Maybe this was the test project before undergoing that one, or as pointed out, politics.

I think the ferry mafia had their say and that was not to allow the bridge to go from the mainland to Lanta Yai. Seriously how many people want to go and stay on Lanta Noi? Total boondoggle if you ask me.

Does this mean Lanta Noi will start building up now though? I assume the bridge is there for a reason, linking them, share business, more options on Lanta Noi in the future?

I think the ferry mafia had their say and that was not to allow the bridge to go from the mainland to Lanta Yai. Seriously how many people want to go and stay on Lanta Noi? Total boondoggle if you ask me.

Does this mean Lanta Noi will start building up now though? I assume the bridge is there for a reason, linking them, share business, more options on Lanta Noi in the future?

Nahhh Razzler, this means people will circumvent Lanta Noi even faster than before.

Archived