Swimming in Chiang Rai

smo

Hello,

I'm planning a recon trip to Chiang Rai around June, thinking of spending a few weeks/one month on site to check out the area. Having never been there, I would like to get some info re a couple of items that are high on my list:

a) swimming pool(s). Are there any big swimming pools for the local populace? I know that Chiang Rai is on the highlands but thai people love to swim wherever there is hot season. I'm not talking about pools that belong to spas, hotels, resorts, etc. I need to do swimming excercises a few times a week due to a problematic hip that tends to voice its objection against too much daily walking. If there's nothing of the sort, the pool at the Condotel looks tantalizing- which makes me wonder if they admit outsider guests?

b -public transportation. I heard from one thai friend that the local bus system is not so good (but then again, for a Bangkokian like myself, no bus systems will ever be as good!), but song theows are readily available? I'm thinking if Chiang Rai could lure me away from the big Mango, it would be a good opportunity to invest in a motorcy ("of the lightweight sort!" this is my weak hip talking!) Any input or guidance you can think of will be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance and have a nice day in 'Rai.

ps -also additional of where to stay for the first couple of nights would be very helpful. Quiet, budget, far from the madding crowd...but within walking distance from the essentials. Thanks.

There is a big pool at the rim kok hotel that is rarely crowded and cost i think 80 baht for non guests. There is a health club with a nice pool near the old airport....can't remember the name of it but someone else will likely know.

There is no public bus in CR that i am aware of other than the ones that go town to town. There is an extensive network of songtaews that travel various routes but unless you speak thai, good luck figuring out which go where....many of them start or finish near the afternoon market downtown. There are also over 100 metered taxis that will normally use the meter and are a bargain....and of course the usual tuk tuk crowd looking to take tourists for an overpriced ride. Motorbike is your best transport option if you don't get in an accident.

Lots and lots of hotel choices within walking distance of essentials. I like orchids just off jed yod near peace bar for 500 baht a night as clean , basic, and great location...but may not be as quiet as you want or as far from the "madding crowd"....whatever that means as "madding crowds" seem few and far between in CR.

There is a big pool at the rim kok hotel that is rarely crowded and cost i think 80 baht for non guests. There is a health club with a nice pool near the old airport....can't remember the name of it but someone else will likely know.

There is no public bus in CR that i am aware of other than the ones that go town to town. There is an extensive network of songtaews that travel various routes but unless you speak thai, good luck figuring out which go where....many of them start or finish near the afternoon market downtown. There are also over 100 metered taxis that will normally use the meter and are a bargain....and of course the usual tuk tuk crowd looking to take tourists for an overpriced ride. Motorbike is your best transport option if you don't get in an accident.

Lots and lots of hotel choices within walking distance of essentials. I like orchids just off jed yod near peace bar for 500 baht a night as clean , basic, and great location...but may not be as quiet as you want or as far from the "madding crowd"....whatever that means as "madding crowds" seem few and far between in CR.

That would be the Pimanninn Hotel or Pimann Inn Hotel Chiang Rai. Google either name for plenty of information and reviews.

I had to call into Laluna on the weekend and the gardens are nice enough but the pool is nothing short of stunning, one of the best I've seen in Chiang Rai.

I'm told that after a brief holiday season surge that rates are back to 800 a night, it has to be the best hotel bargain around if you don't mind being a little off the main street.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Laluna+Hotel+Resort+%26+Spa/@19.8925888,99.8291559,15.04z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x249f7cf9ea834659

The Rimkok pool is attached to the hotel, but you can just walk straight down there from the car park and it's only 80 baht. It's a big pool, rarely many people in it, and the water is clean. The Pimann pool is nice, but expensive (150 baht as a non-guest when they let me in), and they've been less than welcoming at times with me when I've tried to go as a non-guest. Diamond Park Inn has a nice little pool for 80 baht. The Condotel pool isn't open for non-residents, unfortunately.

There is also a public pool at the Provincial Sports Centre here I believe: https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Chiang+Rai+Provincial+Sport+Stadium/@19.9062734,99.8495941,14.75z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x30d706555df4c7ed:0x62ce844dbf8df5b4

but I've never been, so I couldn't say what it's like. Has anyone else ever used it?

I had to call into Laluna on the weekend and the gardens are nice enough but the pool is nothing short of stunning, one of the best I've seen in Chiang Rai.

I'm told that after a brief holiday season surge that rates are back to 800 a night, it has to be the best hotel bargain around if you don't mind being a little off the main street.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Laluna+Hotel+Resort+%26+Spa/@19.8925888,99.8291559,15.04z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x249f7cf9ea834659

When LaLuna gets into the B800 range I often turn shopping day-trips into overnight affairs. The pool is indeed beautiful and the rooms are nice. The breakfast alone is worth the price, who can argue with unlimited crisp bacon!

But then I live way out of the city, so I appreciate my comforts.

When LaLuna gets into the B800 range I often turn shopping day-trips into overnight affairs. The pool is indeed beautiful and the rooms are nice. The breakfast alone is worth the price, who can argue with unlimited crisp bacon!

But then I live way out of the city, so I appreciate my comforts.

Agree very nice pool and a real bargain at 800 baht.....decent location that OP might find "far from madding crowd" but really not all that far from town center.

Laluna it is! I'm willing to go with the concensus here, if I can grab the 800 baht rate. I tried booking.com with different periods in May, June, July they all show the "bargain" price of 1200 per night?

So if anyone could give me a hint at how to get to the 800 baht booking window I will jump for it. Indeed, "who can argue with unlimited crisp bacon!" - and while we're at it, unlimited real espresso too according to one hotel guest review. I think I would just get up one hour before breakfast services stop, stoke myself on bacon and espresso and then go chill at the pool for the rest of the day before venturing out for an early dinner and that'll do it for me.

Thanks every body who put in their very valuable two cents, especially regarding la laluna... Pomchop's info about "an extensive network of songtaews that travel various routes " is just the answer to my transportation prayer, it sounds perfect for a place like Chiang Rai (My tired legs will be forever grateful!) Bardeh's suggestion of "a public pool at the Provincial Sports Centre here I believe..." also sounds very tempting, I will certainly give it a try and not forget to post a review of it here for a follow-up (when the time comes that is ;-)

Again, thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and will be looking forward to making the trip sometime this--- whatever season is coming up next!