Chain saw getting too hot

cooked

In fact wearing gloves doesn't help, it gets so hot it burns my hand despite gloves. Is this due to using motor cycle two stroke? Never had this problem before but this one has me stumped. Air filter is clean, motor starts ok.

Anybody there?

Did you put the proper amount of oil in the gas?

Yes I did. Doesn't matter any more, the motor seized up and the saw is going to be scrapped. Had this machine professionally for 15 years, Thailand did for it, never mind,

Did you put the proper amount of oil in the gas?

Yes I did. Doesn't matter any more, the motor seized up and the saw is going to be scrapped. Had this machine professionally for 15 years, Thailand did for it, never mind,

Give it to a mechanically minded Thai, to tinker with... they can do wonders with things sometimes! I've seen that a few times! wink.png

Cooked , a couple of suggestions although i no doubt you have checked them

1. the kick-back brake is jammed on
  2. cooling fins are filled with sawdust / oil / dust
  3. wrong mixture of oil / fuel
  4. even a blunt chain will make the saw work harder and therefore get hotter.

Is it a Stihl or Husquvarna? In my experience they are very fussy about the oil/fuel mix. Who knows what Thai 2 stroke oil contains!! I would agree with SamuiJimmy. You mean you packed it in your handluggage 15 years ago?smile.png

Is it a Stihl or Husquvarna? In my experience they are very fussy about the oil/fuel mix. Who knows what Thai 2 stroke oil contains!! I would agree with SamuiJimmy. You mean you packed it in your handluggage 15 years ago?smile.png

Husqwarna. No, I used it for 15 years professionally and never had a problem with it. I never got a satisfying answer as to with what or how I should mix the fuel, and as for chain oil, that is a complete mystery to most Thais. I cut down a few Eucalyptus trees and stuff, it was always hot even after I did a full service on it myself, and the oil they gave me for the chain didn't seem to want to do its job. It's now and I will be doing no more jobs in the village for people after this. This was a very hard tree, Tamarind, harder than teak.

Very annoying as this saw never ever let me down, from minus 20°C to plus 40°C.

Hi cooked

What petrol do you use ,if it is gasohol 2 strokes do not like gasohol ,if you could find benzene it would help also fully synthetic 2 stroke oil at 250 baht /lt not cheap , been using it on my Chinese strimmer ,for 3 years engine never given me a problem .( about the only thing that has not been a problem)

I know you have scraped it ,at 15 years old ,not a bad innings ,where the electrics ,supplying the spark a CDI system ,point less, ,or were they a contact breaker system , I would say a CDI system , if not , the ignition could have been to far retarded that would cause the engine to overheat ,a CDI system should have constant correct ignition timing , but after 15 years ,it might have altered , just a fraction , giving you a retarded ignition , and a overheating problem .

What coulor was the spark plug ,if it was white ,wrong air, fule /oil mix ,that would cause the engine to over heat .

Archived