Bike Clutch and Gears.

menzies233

Question, I have a Honda CBR250R, i think it is 2012, but that is irrelevant. There seems to be something weird going on when shifting gears. Anyone understand what it could be?

1: Neutral to first is fine from a standstill, on a rolling aproach there is one hell of a clunk. (2nd to 1st is what I mean - stepping down gears as the bike is moving)

2: Shifting from 1st to 2nd sometimes it just goes to neutral - With no neutral light.

3: Downshifting from say 6th to 5th, it ends up in neutral but no indication (i.e. the neutral light does not come on - not that I expected it to, but why would a drop from 6th to 5th end up out of gear?)

Something wrong with the selector forks?

All other gear changes seem fine.

The other thing I did notice is when starting the bike with the clutch pulled in it sounds fine, then release the clutch lever and it sounds like a bag of hammers for about 10 seconds, is this simply the oil circulating to the clutch? ( My lad has a Grom / MSX and this does the same so maybe not a big issue)

Cheers,

Edited by menzies233

It sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging.

The bag of hammers sound suggests to me that the clutch release bearing may have failed. Part number is 96100-60010-00. Less than 100 Baht from a Honda dealer.

Not more than half an hours work to check and replace this part if necessary. Budget for a clutch casing gasket and oil change at the same time.

Sounds like. To me as you downshift from 6th to 5th,your not going in gear all the way.Putting you n A false neutral.Thats why the neutral light coming on.As far as clunking in lower gears that's how those transmissions are.Mabe use A higher weight gear oil

Might help.It's probably been dong this since it is new.Not your starting to pay more attention to it.Motorcycles don't go thru gears

Like A knife slicing thru butter.I've had nearly 10 motorcycles they would all have A little crunch.Especially the lower gears.

Take it to A shop,allow an employee to take it for A quick ride.See what he says.