Local Salsa Dip?

Stan42

I've looked all over. I can only find imported salsa dips for nachos like "El Paso" or "Herr's" that go for 150+THB fpr 100 to 200 grams.

Given that the ingredients for salsa sauce are all very basic and readily available in Thailand, why isn't there a single local brand?

"Given that the ingredients for salsa sauce are all very basic and readily available in Thailand," why not make it yourself, I do. Mangos are in season and mango salsa is delicious. I get mangos and Thai lemons from my orchard in the back of my house, free!

El Sapo makes and markets salsa here and also sells its salsa under the Tops brand.

They do three different strengths, it's the brand I prefer to buy. There is also another brand but I can't remember the name (maybe el rancho) the jars have little pieces of cloth covering the lids.

"Given that the ingredients for salsa sauce are all very basic and readily available in Thailand," why not make it yourself, I do. Mangos are in season and mango salsa is delicious. I get mangos and Thai lemons from my orchard in the back of my house, free!

Because I'm lazy. I prefer to just open a jar.

Local and the best LINK thumbsup.gif

Checked out the Gourmet Market at EMQuartier, Emporium, the Villa market, Lotus, and Tops. Cheapest I could find was still 153thb for 200g.

The great El Sapo/Tops salsa drought of 2016! No salsa for you......

crying.gif

• 3 months later...

You're looking in the wrong places.

El Sapo brand jarred salsa are available at at least all of the Sukhumvit area Villa markets in Bangkok -- Soi 2, Soi 11, Soi 33 -- in their standard jar of about 350g for a price of about 85b.

The other local brand (vs imported) is El Charro. They make a very good hot/red sauce also available at Villa, but it's a hot sauce, not a salsa.

For more info, see the following thread:

Archived