Retirement visa automatically transplanted to new passport?

I've been living in Thailand for over 3 years now and it's just about time for a Canadian passport renewal. I have a retirement visa (A/O) in my existing passport. I'll be going back to Canada in a couple of months and I thought I could renew my passport while home, however it will be necessary for my retirement visa to be transplanted to the new passport as well as the re entry visa. Does anyone know if this can be accomplished by the Canadian passport people? Or, is it wiser to apply for a Canadian passport from the embassy in Bangkok? Any ideas... Thanks Jack

• If you have a valid non 'O-A' visa it will not be transferred. Just use both passports when entering until the visa expires.

If you have an extension of stay based on retirement you need to go to immigration once you have the new passport, and they will transfer the extension (permit) of stay stamp to the new passport.

• If you have an extension of stay based on retirement you need to go to immigration once you have the new passport, and they will transfer the extension (permit) of stay stamp to the new passport.

You should also be aware that Immigration may well insist on a letter from the Canadian Embassy as a prerequisite to doing the stamps transfer in such an eventuality in any case.

As a Canadian living in Thailand I have applied for 2 passports at the Canadian Embassy here. It takes about 12 days to receive your passport at your address after applying and then get your extension put into your new passport. They will send you the application forms online. Request that your current passport be returned for the transfer of stamps.