Thailand Elite Long Stay Visa Membership Privileges

I got the easy access visa. Definately very convenient and the easiest entries into Thailand I have ever done. Just passed my first complete year on it. I will re-evaluate it during my 5th year if I want to renew. Who knows what the situitation in Thailand will be like come 2020.

Not for the cheap Charlies though.

• Like 2

Be careful on that one, the visa is five year only if the passport expires in 5 years or more. A friend has 19 months to go, my girlfriend 3 years and two months, they refuse to transfer the visa to another passport. To put it more correctly, they will match

the length of your visa with the expiration date of your passport. Needless to say, you pay of course for the full five year visa which you do not get in this case.

I ma not sure that is correct. They will issue the visa with 5 years validity. After your passport expires you show both passports on entry to the country to use the visa.

I vaguely recall a report of the visa being transferred at Bangkok immigration to a new passport.

• Like 2

Hello Ubonjoe

5 year period, we will issue Elite visa accordance with the expiration date stated on the passport

I just got the email from thai elite and quote exactly (this is after they received application etc)

"According to immigration regulations, if the length of your passport is not up to 5 year period, we will issue

Elite Visa accordance with the expiration date stated on passport"

I very much would like it if you somehow could explain this is a bit difficult to swallow.

Thank you for the wonderful info you give.

Just even ridiculous to say it. Its of course wrong.

Be careful on that one, the visa is five year only if the passport expires in 5 years or more. A friend has 19 months to go, my girlfriend 3 years and two months, they refuse to transfer the visa to another passport. To put it more correctly, they will match

the length of your visa with the expiration date of your passport. Needless to say, you pay of course for the full five year visa which you do not get in this case.

Hello Ubonjoe

5 year period, we will issue Elite visa accordance with the expiration date stated on the passport

I just got the email from thai elite and quote exactly (this is after they received application etc)

"According to immigration regulations, if the length of your passport is not up to 5 year period, we will issue

Elite Visa accordance with the expiration date stated on passport"

I very much would like it if you somehow could explain this is a bit difficult to swallow.

Thank you for the wonderful info you give.

If they did actually issue the visa up to the date the passport expires immigration would have to do a new visa for the remainder of the 5 years after getting a new passport.

Many countries only issue passports for 5 years so it would be impossible to meet the passport requirements mentioned.

Someway or the other you will still get the 5 years.

Of course the best solution would be to get new passports before getting the visa. That would save a lot of problems later.

Fair enough they will do it for you, but, if you live in the middle of Udon-Nakon out the back of nowhere do they come and collect your passport and then deliver it back you?

Just askin.

At this time it is only available in Bangkok.

So in real terms it's a good idea, and it would appear so, but only if your main residence is in Bangkok.

If you have, let's call it a Bangkok address you can use but also have a 'place'in HuaHin and another in Rayong and you spend your time moving around how does that work with reporting to Imm' everytime you move.

So in real terms it's a good idea, and it would appear so, but only if your main residence is in Bangkok.

If you have, let's call it a Bangkok address you can use but also have a 'place'in HuaHin and another in Rayong and you spend your time moving around how does that work with reporting to Imm' everytime you move.

Everyone would have their own way of dealing with this. Easiest for me would be to spend half and hour preparing a few identical envelopes for 90-day reporting, and stick one in the post every now and again. For some, the online system will work - pretty painless if so. You can also just choose to pay the fine for failing to report. It is not exactly a fortune.

A 10 minute trip to immigration every 90 days is not a hardship.

If it's too much hassle for you then just apply for citizenship and see how that works out for you.

On thai élite of 5 years the other advantages are not really good . The visa and service of limo and the service of 90 day report in Bkk are very good and efficient . But golf, hôtels,Spa and so on are really expensive with this program and the discounts really hard to obtain

• Like 1

For the ease of being able to come and go as you please, when you please and having another 12 months stamp in your passport whenever you re enter the Kingdom, I don't consider 500,000 bht for the peace of mind it provides for a complete 5 years as being expensive.It would be even nicer though for members who immigration know have that 5 year guarantee to be able to do it all without the 90 day report.
Although not a hardship, it would be another good thing they could add which would in my mind, also help them to sell a few more packages smile.png

• Like 1

If I was the manager of TE, this is what I would do:

1 year membership: 250,000

5 year membership: 1,000,000

20 years membership: 3,000,000

20 years Platinum membership: 5,000,000

And I would add an annual fee.

And every 2 years I would increase the prices.

But, I am not the manager :)

Having said that, I would still offer a 1 year PE visa for 100,000 per year. Since many seem to just be interested by the visa...

Edited by gerry1011

For me personally, I like the fact I can go to the airport day or night and jump a flight to wherever I want to go. I don't have to worry about re entry reports and if the immigration is open in order to do it. I like the fact I can get my passport collected and have my 90 day reports done and not have to hope the online system isn't down or join the queue to do it myself. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about what money has been in what account when I need to renew a retirement extension. I know when I re enter, I have a further 12 months if I choose not to go anywhere, although in reality, that is very unlikely.
Long haul flights, I would normally travel Business class so getting through Airport immigration, isn't too much of a problem but short haul to Myanmar or Malaysia, I wouldn't so then the TE gets me through again quickly although I would be on an Economy class flight.
The car is great. You know it's going to be there to collect you both ways without any drama of a dopey driver driving like Ayrton Senna because he wants to be somewhere else. I only take the 5 year option because I wouldn't know one end of a Golf club to the other and quite honestly, I consider golf the waste of a good walk biggrin.png I can get a Spa when I want so not really bothered about that. Also in 5 years time, who knows what I will doing?
I am not rich by any standards. Just comfortable and to be honest, paperwork and officials really isn't my thing. I am not the most tolerant person in the world so an option of just paying my money and getting what I need, then being left alone suits me fine. I have no worries that way.
Yes, there are lots of things that I would like to make my life even easier. Private Jet Travel, Helicopter transfers, a woman that don't moan or don't want but in reality, that isn't likely to happen! My coming and going though to Thailand and being able to stay in my Bangkok apartment is certainly made a whole lot easier for me by the TE programme and that suits me fine. For what I get and the peace of mind it gives me, then I don't consider it expensive in the grand scheme of things. Could it be made cheaper? Of course it go but then exclusive things are never made cheaper as it then takes the exclusive part of it away and everybody has it. I am not saying that's right but that's how the World works. A bit like a Ferrari, they could be made cheaper, probably to the point that everybody could own one but again, that's not how it works. It wouldn't then be exclusive for those can afford one.
For someone that just wants to live in Thailand then the TE would only be for someone like me that although they don't travel, they maybe don't like the fact of paper work an officials etc.
For me, the programme is great and I don't consider it too expensive for what it is and what it saves me. I can afford it so I suppose I would say that. If you cannot afford it then it's too expensive full stop. If it was 20,000 bht, it would be considered too expensive for some. It's a matter what you can or cannot afford. I would like a 5 Bedroom Bangkok Penthouse apartment with private roof top pool and Go Go girls on demand and another in Monte Carlo for when I get bored but that's too expensive for me too smile.png
It's good programme for what it is. You can't knock it for doing what it does.

• Like 1

I've been thinking hard about getting the Thailand Elite Visa. For me, none of the perks matter at all except the fact I would have 1 year renewable visa. Therefore, the only 'aspects' of the TE

are:

•5 Year Visa
•No need to file paper work for visa
•No need to file paper work for visa extension

Although the other perks are nifty, I would not be bothered to pay for them. So I decided to do some maths around this concept:

Thailand Elite Visa Costs: 500,00 THB

Annualized on 6 year usage: 500,000 / 6 = 83,333 THB

Alternative If Staying In Thailand Full Year:
4(SETV + 30 Day Extension) = 4(60 Day + 30 Day) = 360 Days (Let's call it a year)

30 Day Extension Cost = 2,700 THB (1,900 Fee + Transport + Overhead)

4(SETV + 2700) = 83,333 THB

Therefore:
SETV = (83,333 - 10,800) / 4 = 18,133

The average cost of a SETV Fee is not more than 1,900 THB. Therefore if we considered:

SETV = Travel Expenses + Visa Fee = Travel Expenses + 1,900 = 18,133

We would have 16,233 available for travel expenses for each visa trip.

Given the 'Average' Air Fare to one of the near-by countries is approximately 4k round trip (less if you find a deal), that still leaves 12k/trip for hotel and airport transfers.
This should be enough to cover 2-5 nights in most countries.

Therefore, based on these sums, an alternative to a TE Visa, is to simply take a 3-5 day vacation to anywhere in southeast asia every 3 months.

It is also worth noting:
If one does not intend to stay year-round in Thailand (for example, they go back home for 3 months every year) they have even more money left over to spend
on the mini-vacations as part of their SETV Visa Runs.

Of course there is the VERY valid argument of the convenience of not having to take a vacation or do the SETV or Extension paper work. So it does come down to
if one would rather take a vacation and put up with paper work, or forego the trip to avoid having to do the paperwork. Which one chooses is of course up to them individually
(Some people just can't get away, or can not time the vacations due to other life commitments, have kids so costs go up a lot, or really don't care about having a trip).

For my side, I think it seems more 'fair' to spend that money travelling around SE Asia then paying to get a Long Stay Visa. My view may change when I'm no longer
able to travel or I just get annoyed with paperwork or all Thai Consulates stop issuing SETV.

Just a reminder: This is an argument about: If I had to spend 500,000 THB which of the two options is best: Thailand Elite or Travelling. There are of course alternatives that cost less (or more) than 500k, but that was not the point of this post :)

Edited by JayBird

The cost of this visa is about the same as a single business class flight to Europe once a year. Of course there would be additional 90 days travel required without the PE visa.

When I heard about this easy access scheme I cancelled my travel plans back to the UK for another yearly triple entry visa and signed up immediately and I haven't stepped foot on a plane since.

Now they've cancelled the triple entry visa all around the world I see that my previous plan would not have continued to work but as I have the PE visa this is irrelevant.

• Like 1

@JayBird There is nothing wrong with your maths. However, it assumes you are willing to take a holiday in, say, Savannakhet at a date dictated by the timing of your visa renewal. It is also worth noting that (unless willing to risk visa exempt entries) you are prevented from making visits elsewhere.

I really do think it important to place a value on the ability to travel at the time of your choice to the destination of our choice without having to worry about visa issues.

The calculations were based on visits to an assortment of places, including KL, Penang, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. The amount budgeted would allow trips to more than just one place. Which place one personally chooses is of course up to them and their nationality. If you are of a nationality that can not get an SETV anywhere but their home country, then this may be more challenging. If on the other hand you are a G7, you have a lot more options.