Thailand Elite Long Stay Visa Membership Privileges

I was looking at the Thailand Elite web site again (in case there was any news on new perks). Did not notice anything but did notice two things that caught my eye:

1) Yearly health care check-up

2) Discounts at shopping/restaurants

Anyone have any details on this?

For the health care check-up, is it the full whiz-bang executive super-deluxe probe-every-orifice and scan every cell checkup, or just the stick out your tongue and say Ahh?

For the shopping/restaurants, anyone know if there is a list or can ball park the discounts (5% on non-sale items on the low end, to 50% off Starbucks and 2:1 First Class Seats at Cinema each time... that might clinch it for me actually). Imagine 50% off Starbucks and this would pay for itself O.o!

Okey, I'll partially answer my own question (I should spend more time digging through their web site). Starbucks does NOT appear to be on the list. Shopping appears to be the standard 5% off regular priced items and 10% off regular priced items at The Mall / Paragon.

Note: You can get an Expatriate M-Card from The Mall Group already for free which gives you the 5% off regular priced items already (plus you get points). Combined with it being 'regular' priced, a sale would net you a bigger discount. So not TOO much of a benefit in this regard.

The restaurants, quick random click seems to suggest 5-15% off on select restaurants. Does not include street vendors tongue.png Includes a lot of 'Fine Dining' / Dress-To-Impress restaurants, so good if you frequent these types of restaurants. None in Pattaya, about 20 in Bangkok. If it only had Starbucks... and Krispy Kreme... and After You... or BP Muscle tongue.png (protein powder technically counts as food!)

No details on their medical service, so still appreciate some advice there.

Some other perks are there (http://www.thailandelite.com/privilege.php) worth looking at if you are on the cusp. But nothing that I would say is *KILLER* feature that you gotta have.... like 50% off on Starbucks.

Okey, I'll stop talking about Starbucks...for now....

I went for a medical checkup at Bangkok Hospital in Phuket... once.

You can easily book through the TE member contact center.

The floor used for the medical check up (at that particular place at least) is indeed looking good. Relaxed atmosphere, nearly luxury, with classy and rather warm welcome.

The checkup is rather compete (takes half a day), but since I am not very much into these things, I don't really know what they checked.

All in all, the checkup is an "ok" experience..., especially for someone like me who tries to keep away from these types of places.

Ok... until a doctor finds something that has to be checked further.

In that case... you end up on another "normal" floor, with all the other people, nurses who smile much less, sick people everywhere, like in a typical hospital atmosphere.

I never went back smile.png

But, I guess that smart Thailand Elite members take advantage of this complementary medical checkup every year... When it is about health it is important (and free) (as long as we don't need further treatment).

I wonder if that is the Ultimate Check-Up: http://www.bangkokhospital.com/index.php/en/packages-promotions/health-checkup-packages

Which is a 23k package. (TO be honest, that's so cheap compared to the western world one should go for it all the time). But that is a 115k discount to the 500k package, bringing down the TE to 385k. Btw, are you on the 5-year or 20-year plan? (Might be different hospital perks).

For what I remember, it seems that what I got was the Executive Checkup (fits my age too).

I am on the 20yrs plan indeed.

I think that the complementary health checkup is an interesting perk.

But, inevitably, if you check you health regularly you will end up finding something you may have preferred not to find... Not the funniest perk ;)

And, once your doctor found "something", new hospital bills will quickly follow...

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

So I just received the visa, elite card and whatever is in the welcome package that I haven't sifted through yet as I am in the cab home. The process took about 30 minutes. The date as others have said starts from the day the stamp is affixed not date of acceptance. So mine starts today June 08.

A couple of observations are that it would be nice if they sent the car to collect you the first time to really welcome you in. Also I sat out with everybody else during the time I was waiting. I think they should maybe have a small room or area where they serve you a tea or coffee or something. Again not a complaint but just a suggestion.

The elite personnel were friendly enough and easy to deal with.

I had one question that I don't know has been answered and that is if members can claim back VAT upon departing Thailand. The lady didn't know and said she would check and email me back when she does with that info.

I will give the answer to that here when I know what it is.

Edited by anotheruser

Thanks for the link! I won´t purchase the 20 yrs version of TE but might still go to BH for these check-ups. Seems almost too cheap to be true. :-)

They are a good deal here. I had the equivalent "executive check up" for my age group at at Mission Hospital in BKK, I think it was 12,000 Baht. Very efficient. American doctor, Dr. Nick, did the results out brief, Q&A, etc. Well worth the time and effort.

Here is a picture of what you get in the package they give you. Some baggage tags and a velvet box with a book showing you where to get discounts and the rule book for membership. One interesting thing is my card has a different date then the actual visa.

I am not surprised. Your membership started the day they sent the acceptance letter or whatever it is called. So, yes, whilst the visa is of course valid for 1 year from today, the last time you can enter LOS under your current 5 year membership will be at the end of May 2021 (and you should then theoretically receive another 1 year stamp taking you to May 2022).

Edited by DUS
  • Like 1

Here is a picture of what you get in the package they give you. Some baggage tags and a velvet box with a book showing you where to get discounts and the rule book for membership. One interesting thing is my card has a different date then the actual visa.

I am not surprised. Your membership started the day they sent the acceptance letter or whatever it is called. So, yes, whilst the visa is of course valid for 1 year from today, the last time you can enter LOS under your current 5 year membership will be at the end of May 2021 (and you should then theoretically receive another 1 year stamp taking you to May 2022).

Visa is valid from June 08 2016 and expires on May 25 2021.

• Like 1

So if you re-enter on or before 25 May 2021 then you should get another 1 year stamp. Isn´t that how it works?

So this shows again people who aim to maximise the validity of their visa should not apply months ahead of their first entry.

Edited by DUS
  • Like 1

Yeah that's the way it seems. Some guy who was at Chaeng Wattana going to university in Thailand was thinking about if he should get an elite now or continue to study on an elite. I told him don't waste your Thai Elite period. Looked like he was thinking of dropping out of uni, he thought the price seemed okay and wasn't aware of this option. Another person in the waiting area also didn't know about it. I am getting the impression not many people that don't use TV know about this visa.

Edited by anotheruser

So if you re-enter on or before 25 May 2021 then you should get another 1 year stamp. Isn´t that how it works?

But don't the dates seem random? my membership began may 16 my visa was issued June 08 and expires on May 25? Shouldn't it expire on May 15 same as a passport does the 5 years and a day earlier than issued? Does that make sense? How did they come up with the expiry date it doesn't some to correlate with the other dates?

But don't the dates seem random? my membership began may 16 my visa was issued June 08 and expires on May 25? Shouldn't it expire on May 15 same as a passport does the 5 years and a day earlier than issued? Does that make sense? How did they come up with the expiry date it doesn't some to correlate with the other dates?

My membership started on June 12th and ends 5 years later on June 11th.

Normally a visa would expire around the same time as a passport expires. I've never had a visa that overlaps the validity of a passport, I really like to plan well into the future though.

Normally a visa would expire around the same time as a passport expires. I've never had a visa that overlaps the validity of a passport, I really like to plan well into the future though.

Why would a visa normally expire around the same time your passport expires?

You might want to ask TE ... (and then let us know the answer, pls). :-)

Why would a visa normally expire around the same time your passport expires?

Normally visas are not issued vith a valid date beyond the expiry date of the passport.

So if you have 3 years left on your passport your visa would only be for 3 years, I read about this somewhere else on this forum before. I imagine in that situation that you would then get another visa valid for the remainder of your membership period after renewing the passport.

For a 5 year visa I would suggest that anyone applying for it has at least a full 5 years and 6 months validity left on the passport as you generally can't use the passport for international travel during the last six months anyway.

I know this is an issue with certain countries which only issue 5 year passports so there is no choice for some people.

• Like 1

Normally visas are not issued vith a valid date beyond the expiry date of the passport.

Ah, that´s what you meant! That´s all clear then!

Cheers!

Thai Immigration rules state that a Visa can only be issued for the validity of the Passport. TE will only issue the Visa for the current length remaining on your passport.
Your current passport requires 3 blank pages in order for them to affix your new Elite Visa
If your current passport or passport pages are nearly run out and you need to renew your passport, send your new passport to the member contact centre in order for them to update your information and affix a new Elite Visa for the remaining period.
Non Immigrant Visa must be cancelled before Privilege Entry visa is granted.

• Like 1

I can't comment on the situation in Thailand but, a long term visa (for another country) expiry date was longer than the term remaining on my passport. I applied for a new passport and, when passing through immigration, it was simply a matter of showing them both passports. The cancelled passport (with current visa) and the new passport (which was stamped each time I passed through immigration).

Thai Immigration rules state that a Visa can only be issued for the validity of the Passport. TE will only issue the Visa for the current length remaining on your passport.

Your current passport requires 3 blank pages in order for them to affix your new Elite Visa

If your current passport or passport pages are nearly run out and you need to renew your passport, send your new passport to the member contact centre in order for them to update your information and affix a new Elite Visa for the remaining period.

Non Immigrant Visa must be cancelled before Privilege Entry visa is granted.

Thanks Ronuk.

So, there you go. The remaining time of your 5 year, or 20 year, visa is simply transferred to your new passport.

How easy is that!

• Like 1

You might want to ask TE ... (and then let us know the answer, pls). :-)

It isn't that important to me really. I am not hanging on a day or two over a 5 year period and have to go to the USA for a short time but will follow it up when I get back along with the VAT question when they answer me.

I am going to go get drunk and celebrate what a weight of off my shoulders. It is worth the money if you don't like sweating it.

It's a great feeling to be able to come and go as you like, when you like smile.png

• Like 2

Ugh I didn't explain well. Shouldn't my visa from june 08 2016 expire on june 07 2021. that is exactly five years.

Yes it should of been until June 7th. 2021.

Imho, it shouldn´t.... :-)

As far as I understand it, the maximum period the "TE visa" is valid for is the period of your membership. Your TE membership started in May 2016. The fact that you went to CW to have your sticker put in today is irrelevant as it does not extend the time of your TE membership.

PS: Oops, contradicting ubonjoe on the Topic of visa regulations feels like committing virtual TV suicide. ;-)))

Edited by DUS

I will ask for a clarification later when I have time. It seems there are still mixed opinions on this. I will also try to clarify the VAT refund issue as I am not a resident here. So it seems like a grey area.

Edited by anotheruser
  • Like 1