Tourism Clean Up

niggle

Heard that as part of the re-generation of Hua Hin that there are moves wo close down and clean up some to the emerging less salubrious bars (not a bad idea before it goes the way of some other areas in LOS).

Anyone heard this also ?

Heard that as part of the re-generation of Hua Hin that there are moves wo close down and clean up some to the emerging less salubrious bars (not a bad idea before it goes the way of some other areas in LOS).

Anyone heard this also ?

These rumours have been around as long as most of us can remember, mainly for those bars within 50 metres of the temple. This time though the new police chief would seem to be a bit more determined judging by the hassle bar owners have recently experienced in obtaining their

annual licences.

Somebody told me that Soi 94 has been suggested as the new location and word has it that the price of land ha suddenly shot up around there, no doubt resulting in some very high rents for

leased properties should the rumours prove right for once.

Anyone heard this also ?

These rumours have been around as long as most of us can remember, mainly for those bars within 50 metres of the temple. This time though the new police chief would seem to be a bit more determined judging by the hassle bar owners have recently experienced in obtaining their

annual licences.

Somebody told me that Soi 94 has been suggested as the new location and word has it that the price of land ha suddenly shot up around there, no doubt resulting in some very high rents for

leased properties should the rumours prove right for once.

And let's not ask which brown suits own the land... :o

I was told quite recently by an official that in regards to foreigners owning bars and running girls:

"There has been talk about some new actions taking place in the near future"

This could be the start. Thailand may be slow to start something but when they finally make a decision things can move pretty quickly. Take Asoke in Bangkok for example. It was tagged to be shut down for years and then basically one Friday evening they moved in shut it down and it was gone completly by the following Monday.

So, rip down the piers, shut the bars, cancel this, stop that and the other. The place won 't be worth visiting soon in any case, unless you want a concrete pastuarised zone full of PC.

What a future? Still, a half built town, full of half built and rotting estates with the stench of patronising westerners acting like nimby's is exactly what Hua Hin needs right now, isn't it?

Why not stay in Frinton or Tunbrdige Wells, or better still, visit Thailand and not just Hua Hin?

So, rip down the piers, shut the bars, cancel this, stop that and the other. The place won 't be worth visiting soon in any case, unless you want a concrete pastuarised zone full of PC.

What a future? Still, a half built town, full of half built and rotting estates with the stench of patronising westerners acting like nimby's is exactly what Hua Hin needs right now, isn't it?

Why not stay in Frinton or Tunbrdige Wells, or better still, visit Thailand and not just Hua Hin?

What this town eally nneds is responsible town planning that caters for the needs of all the

residents and visitors, not just those who are teetotal, came here to buy a house, then want to go and change some money to buy a suit and a pair of glasses.

I think it's a great idea, keep the sex tourists in Pattava,Phuket and Samui.Hua Hin is a great place to take a family for a quiet vacation by the beach,the recent increase (although minor) in girl bars is a scar on a once pristine landscape. I see no problem in trying to preserve that.

I think it's a great idea, keep the sex tourists in Pattava,Phuket and Samui.Hua Hin is a great place to take a family for a quiet vacation by the beach,the recent increase (although minor) in girl bars is a scar on a once pristine landscape. I see no problem in trying to preserve that.

Trying to preserve what - how its been for the last 10 years +, with its one or two streets of bars? I agree with you.

The only change is the people moving in who want to change what they moved into now that they are there.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Ollie. I have no personal interest in prostitutes, but it's pretty naive to think that prostitution will disappear from Hua Hin just because a couple of bars are closed. Restoring a 'pristine' nature requires more than just shoving things behind closed doors. Say what you will about sex for sale, it is nonetheless part of the fabric of this culture. The majority of 'professional' sex occuring from Thailand is being initiated by Thai men, not foreigners.

As to the rumours that 'the police are trying to shut down the prostitution racket'... well... if I translate it into Thai and then back into English... it seems to come out as 'the cops are looking for bigger handouts.' :o