Scenes from a drought

geovalin

Across the country, water scarcity is threatening health and livelihoods.By Khouth Sophak Chakrya, Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon, Phak Seangly, Brent Crane and Thik Kaliyann

Banteay Meanchey

Since December, the only source of free water for the 600 families of Tomnobdach village has been a dirt hole three metres wide.

Located at the bottom of a quarry in O’Chhrou district’s O’Beichoan commune, the long descent in 40-degree heat is a daily necessity for 69-year-old Chhorm Yuth and her three grandchildren.

The water is a murky, otherworldly blue. A metal sign planted at the edge of the hole tells villagers to take hygiene precautions.

“Me and my three grandchildren eat boiled rice and use only five liters of water for taking a shower each day because we are poor,” Yuth said this week.

In what may be the worst regional drought in more than 50 years, brought on by an El Niño cycle exacerbated by climate change, water shortages have been declared in 18 of the country’s 25 provinces. In Banteay Meanchey, Kampot, Siem Reap and Battambang provinces this week, the Post found that water scarcity is jeopardising the food security, health and livelihoods of many, though a few have carved out business opportunities amid the devastation.

LONG AND EXCELLENT ARTICLE read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/scenes-drought

_mg_6978-2_0.jpg

Why is it that this serious situation scarcely gets a mention in the media and officialdom and seems like this article is almost an afterthought?

In housing situations as mine, an incentive is never given to conserve water. In the past 3 years of living in my present condo, I’ve used as much water as I like and have never been able to reach the minimum quantity of water meter usage I’m charged every month. All that matters is to make money from us; water conservation is what rural people have to do.