air conditioning noise

cooked

I tried googling this but found no solution. We had a service done in January and now one unit has started to make a noise, slightly louder than usual, that sounds like a gusty wind, coming from the internal blower. The filters are clean, anything I can do before I call the A?C man?

Thanks

It means it's time for an internal clean. The gusty sound is a dead giveaway that there's dust inside. I get mine cleaned every three months or when the airflow starts to sound irregular as you describe. Daikin air cons seem to be very susceptible to this gusty noise.

Our bedroom Samsung whistles when the filters start getting clogged, not unique to Daikin.

That's the Samsung whistle. The Daikin gush is quite different and is not caused by clogged filters. An engineer told me that the design of Daikin's rotor fan in the evaporator of a particular series of model causes these whooshing sounds when dust gets attached to the plastic lattice framework. On the other hand my Mitsubishi could get packed with dust and it would still purr like a kitten. In the twenty years I've been buying aircons here, I would now only ever buy Mitsubishi. I was once told by another Thai engineer that the Rolls Royce of aircons was made by Fujitsu, but I haven't had a chance to verify that.

I have 10 yr. old Daikin air-cons and have also experienced the whooshing noise. Cleaning takes care of it . . . for a while.

You might think of the whooshing noise as a warning that the condensation outlet is near to clogging and it will start dripping water soon.

My units also got a louder and louder "whine" as the motors aged. Replacing the motor fixed it. My guy charged the price of the motor (1,800 baht two years ago, 2,100 baht two weeks ago) plus a 500 baht installation fee.

Archived