Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

It's just a feeling of security... this guy was lucky, his car hit a little bit the other small car and it just flipped over.. at 200km/h yes ^^ so the car is safe on this case.. but look what happen 16 april for this BMW driver :

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/delray-fire-rescue-several-injured-in-2-car-crash-/nq6dj/

Delray crash: 1 dead, 12 injured when BMW, van collide

041716-DB-FATAL-CRASH-04.jpgDB-CRASH_1.jpg

So better drive a minivan than a BMW.. what do you think ?

===============

Also look at this one recently too : http://abc7news.com/traffic/2-dead-in-3-car-crash-on-crow-canyon-road-near-castro-valley/1221378/

Just before 9 p.m. Friday, the CHP said the black BMW tried to pass a car on Crow Canyon Road just north of Norris Canyon Road near Castro Valley. It crossed the double yellow lines in the northbound lane and collided head-on with a pickup truck killing two men in the BMW, the driver and the front passenger.

that means PICKUP are safer than BMW, nop ?

Anyway, people can't buy 100% Safety life on the roads ! you maybe add some lucky power with few amulettes.. if you like it ! or buy a HUMMER, that might be the safest choice theses days on the road.

Big cars always win. I wouldn't say it was hit a "little bit". First picture you can see the bmw got smashed onto the curb, 2nd picture was just a "recreate" picture of the accdient when car was pulled away from the curb. You got to take into context the front structure of the van was way more rigid than the side pillar of any passenger sedan, also taking the height of van into consideration.

You can't buy 100% safety, but the fact is that German cars are usually more safe than Japanese car just because standard safety features of Japanese cars are minimum for most of the models. Eg. Toyota Hilux, most basic models dont' even come with front airbag! So its not just the feeling of security, perhaps people feel secure in a Japanese car thinking they saved a lot comparing to buying a German car, but they totally overlook the safety aspects of it. For those that can't afford it, its really too bad because the laws in this country aren't protecting consumers by having strict laws like they do in Europe when it comes to automotive safety. Whats worse is that auto manufactures get away with it knowing that standard features such as front airbag can be removed just to sell a car to the price sensitive folks.

Edited by mike324

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Jap car knockers what about Acura & Lexus. smile.png

Honda and Toyota..

Well...

I like my Altezza - its good car. But i more like my 330 bemmer.

And i like my Aristo . But sorry Aristo cant compare becose not have benz same gen year. And from bemmer 5 this is car so far. Its not drive car.

Why you not say about nissan?

Fx its more close to X5. ;)

So many good car have jap.

But not have real lux.

Lux its mast be individual. Then you get few spec ONLY in shop its cant be lux.its POP ...

It's just a feeling of security... this guy was lucky, his car hit a little bit the other small car and it just flipped over.. at 200km/h yes ^^ so the car is safe on this case.. but look what happen 16 april for this BMW driver :

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/delray-fire-rescue-several-injured-in-2-car-crash-/nq6dj/ Delray crash: 1 dead, 12 injured when BMW, van collide

041716-DB-FATAL-CRASH-04.jpgDB-CRASH_1.jpg

So better drive a minivan than a BMW.. what do you think ?

===============

Also look at this one recently too : http://abc7news.com/traffic/2-dead-in-3-car-crash-on-crow-canyon-road-near-castro-valley/1221378/

Just before 9 p.m. Friday, the CHP said the black BMW tried to pass a car on Crow Canyon Road just north of Norris Canyon Road near Castro Valley. It crossed the double yellow lines in the northbound lane and collided head-on with a pickup truck killing two men in the BMW, the driver and the front passenger.

that means PICKUP are safer than BMW, nop ?

Anyway, people can't buy 100% Safety life on the roads ! you maybe add some lucky power with few amulettes.. if you like it ! or buy a HUMMER, that might be the safest choice theses days on the road.

If be miniwan merc VS another. Need compare simular.

And please safty its not only when you get crash.

Iv you can avoid accident its safty too.

Good handling, good working brake, acceleration .. all this is can much help avoid accident.

So its safty thinks.

Can someone translate that for me me please.

You no nee it.

Any thinks you knowledge about car(as i see) much more poor than my English.

Ps

You do you homework about different mean "mehanic" and "mehanicS"?

Edited by ardokano

You no nee it.

Ps

What is a mehanic ?

Is it like a mechanic, a person who uses tools to fix or repair mechanical items likes cars and things ?

Edited by Don Mega

The 3 series is supposed to be crap (I think the industry term is sporty) so it doesn't steal sales from the 5 & 7 series.

They offer these low end cars so that poor people can buy into the brand with the hope they'll later buy a higher end model.

The 3 series is supposed to be crap (I think the industry term is sporty) so it doesn't steal sales from the 5 & 7 series.

They offer these low end cars so that poor people can buy into the brand with the hope they'll later buy a higher end model.

The 3-series compete with A4 and C-class. Had it been crap, people would simply buy an A4 instead. It outsells both the Merc and the Audi in most markets.

The 3-series is an excellent car. Perfectly balanced, rear wheel drive, no rattle, great toys etc. Have you heard about M3? Its a 3-series as well. The most talk about car in this segment for decades.

Honda and Toyota..

Well...

And i like my Aristo . But sorry Aristo cant compare becose not have benz same gen year. And from bemmer 5 this is car so far. Its not drive car.

Fx its more close to X5. wink.png

But not have real lux.

Lux its mast be individual. Then you get few spec ONLY in shop its cant be lux.its POP ...

When looking at my BMW F10 5 Series I also looked at the Lexus GS.... BMW had won the second I sat inside.

When looking at my BWM F15 X5 I also looked at the Lexus RX and the NX.... NX was too small, the RX was so very very boring.

Of course, as with much of this topic it depends on taste.. but in my opinion the Interior of the BMW was much much better, modern and stylish than Lexus.

Mercedes has recently started making more modern Interiors - however, the ML250 has what I call and 'old mans' interior... it seems way too sober.

One thing is for sure - The interior of the 'premium' brands is much better, softer, luxurious with better quality leather etc than the 'non-premium' Japanese brands and Ford (Again I'm only comparing Thai models).

They don't have Acura in Thailand - so I have no basis for comparison.

My Wife had an Merc A170 - It was like a little Go-Kart, but it was hot to sit in... compared to my seats the leather was hot... lower quality, less breathability than my car at the time, a Range Rover... Yes, a huge difference - but the point I'd like to make is that perhaps many of the differences of a premium brand are very subtle and are only observed once we have ourselves witnessed the difference - Which for the most part means driving a premium on a daily basis before stepping into the 'non-premium' brands and noticing things such as the leather, the switch gear, the ergonomics, the road noise etc etc...

So, are these differences worth it? - thats a personal choice based on price vs personal rating and knowledge.

Not all 3's are low end, I had a M3. Generally the 4 cyl models are the cheapos.

You no nee it.

Ps

What is a mehanic ?

Is it like a mechanic, a person who uses tools to fix or repair mechanical items likes cars and things ?

And what is mechanicS?

You no nee it.

Ps

What is a mehanic ?

And what is mechanicS?

Mechanics (Greek μηχανική) is an area of science concerned with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent effects of the bodies on their environment.

The scientific discipline has its origins in Ancient Greece with the writings of Aristotle and Archimedes.

During the early modern period, scientists such as Khayaam, Galileo, Kepler, and Newton, laid the foundation for what is now known as classical mechanics.

It is a branch of classical physics that deals with particles that are either at rest or are moving with velocities significantly less than the speed of light.

It can also be defined as a branch of science which deals with the motion of and forces on objects.

Not all 3's are low end, I had a M3. Generally the 4 cyl models are the cheapos.

BWM have developed their engines - many are now 4 pot.

Example:

The 2011 F10 528i had a naturally aspirated Inline 6 cylinder, 3.0 litre Engine:

The 2013+ F10 528i has an Twin Turbo, 4 cyclone, 2.0 litre Engine:

Performance for the Twin Turbo is better: Its more efficient, Faster Acceleration 0-100 kmh, 30-50 kmh etc..

The 4 cylinder models are of course the lower end of the performance scale when compared to the V8's.... But, a new 4 Pot is now better than a straight 6.

BMW are also now moving over to a straight 6 cylinder Quad Turbo in its 7 series which is more efficient and out performs the 4 Litre V8.

In short - Engine Tech has come on so much that relying on cylinder count or capacity is not an indicator of performance when making a comparison with other manufactures or Engines of of 4-5 years ago.

The same can be said of the Fiesta 3 pot being better.... Engine Tech is simply better.

Honda and Toyota..

Well...

Fx its more close to X5. wink.png

But not have real lux.

When looking at my BMW F10 5 Series I also looked at the Lexus GS.... BMW had won the second I sat inside.

When looking at my BWM F15 X5 I also looked at the Lexus RX and the NX.... NX was too small, the RX was so very very boring.

Of course, as with much of this topic it depends on taste.. but in my opinion the Interior of the BMW was much much better, modern and stylish than Lexus.

Mercedes has recently started making more modern Interiors - however, the ML250 has what I call and 'old mans' interior... it seems way too sober.

One thing is for sure - The interior of the 'premium' brands is much better, softer, luxurious with better quality leather etc than the 'non-premium' Japanese brands and Ford (Again I'm only comparing Thai models).

They don't have Acura in Thailand - so I have no basis for comparison.

My Wife had an Merc A170 - It was like a little Go-Kart, but it was hot to sit in... compared to my seats the leather was hot... lower quality, less breathability than my car at the time, a Range Rover... Yes, a huge difference - but the point I'd like to make is that perhaps many of the differences of a premium brand are very subtle and are only observed once we have ourselves witnessed the difference - Which for the most part means driving a premium on a daily basis before stepping into the 'non-premium' brands and noticing things such as the leather, the switch gear, the ergonomics, the road noise etc etc...

So, are these differences worth it? - thats a personal choice based on price vs personal rating and knowledge.

I am not had last gen Toyta(lexus)or BMW .only X3 in China

But i try.

And you talking only model for Thai market official sell. Is It?

Ok. I agree with 99% with you.

PS

Only one thinks benz W212 surprised me. Had handeling almast near bmw 5 series. But BMW also up comfort.

And sorry but GS not have handeling even as benz.Not talking about BMW.

So for me its cant be compare.and its IMHO ofcouse.:) (about accord, camry, PJS, Fortuner its not IMHO its fact ;) )

Mechanics (Greek μηχανική) is an area of science concerned with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent effects of the bodies on their environment.

The scientific discipline has its origins in Ancient Greece with the writings of Aristotle and Archimedes.

During the early modern period, scientists such as Khayaam, Galileo, Kepler, and Newton, laid the foundation for what is now known as classical mechanics.

It is a branch of classical physics that deals with particles that are either at rest or are moving with velocities significantly less than the speed of light.

It can also be defined as a branch of science which deals with the motion of and forces on objects.

Bingo you got it.

And also

2 The machinery or working parts of something:

he looks at the mechanics of a car before the bodywork

3 the way something works or things are done <the mechanics of a watch> <the mechanics of writing> Hint: Mechanics can be used as a singular or as a plural in writing and speaking.

Please remember it and Next time, do not confuse the two words.mechanic and mechanicS.

:)

Edited by ardokano

To come back to the topic.. there was maybe a time where BMW, Merc, Audi and Volvo where such premium quality cars.. but today it's just cars, normal cars made like others, not better at all but you still pay for the brand name.

Now it's the same with everything that people buy, each brand has is own reputation and trust from the customers, even if it doesn't fit with reality, for example why people buy ice creams (haagen dazs) that cost way more than others, because of packaging and dream images that come in the mind of consumer.. but at the end it's just an ice cream full of AIR inside ^without any premium raw materials involved in.. just basic acceptable quality, so smart people are usually not abused in marketing tricks, but when ego wants to show off, it means no compromise on prices ^^

On my experience, i don't like German cars, way too firm : I prefer much more somthing like a Citroen for the comfort of the seats, suspension and quality interior feeling. If you are lucky enough to try a DS3 or DS5 one day, then you can compare with german style, and Comfort is rising to a real superior level, IMHO.

BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo etc are nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe much like GM/Ford/Chrysler is for the USA.

Depends.. When your talking entry level cars, yes.. They are selling the bottom of the range, for the aspirational segment who want the badge, and its not much different than a mid tier lower brand which will still be cheaper, you can argue even superior, sometimes.. I mean a C class 180 or something is not prestige outside of asia.. Then its a badge, then your right..

But move up the chain, I always buy slightly older, top end cars, fully loaded where someone else when out and dropped 100k on the car, and now its 10 or 15.. Drive a fully loaded C63 AMG and tell me theres much like that on the road, or a decent 7 series or S class.. Those flagship models are where the development and refinement comes in.. Sure if you get a problem, it can total the cost of the car, but you get them for throw away money, I dont mind the advanced running costs in fuel etc as your driving a car that 5 or so years back was for sultans and princes. For the price of my second hand vigo pickup here I would be sitting in a AMG top spec car in the west, and no that really isnt the same as the mass produced appliances and econoboxes here.

Again from my watchlist

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-MERCEDES-CLK63-AMG-AUTO-V8-AUTO-TIP-481-BHP-NAV-DIGITAL-TV-ONE-OWNER-/191860013255?hash=item2cabbf78c7:g:7RoAAOSwP~tW5vbr

CLK63 AMG 500 hp one owner car.. No thats not "nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe" !!

Or for half as much money a CLK 55... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mercedes-clk-55-amg-FSH-keyless-Distronic-/322089200273?hash=item4afe032a91:g:GfgAAOSw~oFXEpHY

Either of those are massive spec cars, that were high on the tree, and now selling for peanuts.. The drive feel of a coupe like that compares to some honda, or (laugh) citroen... is just worlds apart. My experience is they go forever also, my old mans africa car has over 400k miles on the clock and is trucking along smooth and rattle free, and that drives to africa and back a few times a year. As said, in the bog sports models they can have huge bills if and when things do break, but the over engineering means for me so far, I havnt had them do that..

Sadly, no such bargains in Thailand. You're looking at a 15 to 20 year old car before they become chump change.

Everyone claims to know what is in the head of people buying these cars.

In my case 1 months earnings = Camry/ accord. 3 months earnings 528i. Either way it wasnt a major financial decision. I test drove accord, camry, e200, cla250, x3 but chose the 5 because it was the one i liked best.

Now according to some that makes me egotistical, douchebag show off that only purchased a vehicle because of what other people would think.

Now considering the fact that everyone thinks BMW divers are douchebags, surely if I cared what people thought, it'd be the last car I'd buy....

If in one month earning you can by a camry.. why don't you buy a plane instead ? it is much more convenient that all cars you can buy in the world.. otherwise why not have a luxury van plus drivers.. or a bus modified for yourself.. and if you like to drive yourself then by a race car and enjoy !

IF you are not aware, most of people are buying car with a credit that last 4 to 7 years... and this kind of income you are talking about is for very less people on earth, so if i had money like that I'll go for a Porsche cayenne and many others cars.. just collect them all like my son do with pokemons.

Because he likes the 528i, no need for a plane thats just a stupid comment. I can assure you there are plenty people with this kind of income.

In my case 1 months earnings = Camry/ accord. 3 months earnings 528i. Either way it wasnt a major financial decision. I test drove accord, camry, e200, cla250, x3 but chose the 5 because it was the one i liked best.

Now according to some that makes me egotistical, douchebag show off that only purchased a vehicle because of what other people would think.

Now considering the fact that everyone thinks BMW divers are douchebags, surely if I cared what people thought, it'd be the last car I'd buy....

If in one month earning you can by a camry.. why don't you buy a plane instead ? it is much more convenient that all cars you can buy in the world.. otherwise why not have a luxury van plus drivers.. or a bus modified for yourself.. and if you like to drive yourself then by a race car and enjoy !

IF you are not aware, most of people are buying car with a credit that last 4 to 7 years... and this kind of income you are talking about is for very less people on earth, so if i had money like that I'll go for a Porsche cayenne and many others cars.. just collect them all like my son do with pokemons.

Must have misread your post with the comparison of 'Premium' car and Citroengigglem.gif . Yes I do like driving my 'Premium' car but I can compare it to driving a Pick-up, SUV and a Hatchback here in Thailand and I know what I prefer. Why dont you give me a test drive of your Citroen that you love so much. thumbsup.gif

Because he likes the 528i, no need for a plane thats just a stupid comment. I can assure you there are plenty people with this kind of income.

A camry is 1,899,000 Baht for starting price, o you realy think most people have this kind of income.. even in rich countries.. that doesn't happen often.

But yes.. "plenty" means maybe "a few" for you

http://www.pewglobal.org/interactives/global-population-by-income/

A camry is 1,899,000 Baht for starting price, o you realy think most people have this kind of income.. even in rich countries.. that doesn't happen often.

BMW (including Mini) sold 8,386 cars in Thailand in 2014. So first off - we are talking about a small percentage of the population. No-one is saying that most people have this kind of income.

But there are PLENTY of people with this kind of income.

Most people in the world have jobs. Jobs generally don't pay well. In a country of 60 million people - how many business owners do you think there are? How many are making say US$50k a month or more? That's not a big business, in fact, it's quite small.

There is a guy selling noodles in Sukhumvit Soi 65 who, by the looks of how busy he is each day is easily making around 300K Baht per month.

Trust me - a couple of million baht a month is not a massive amount of money by any means.

Yes and I would rather spend 1,899,000 towards a 'Premium' car or a second hand one less than 5 years old rather than a new Camry. So your saying that if you had the same kind of income then you would buy a Porsche Cayenne, why not a Citroen because you are sure they are the best valued car in the Thai market. How old is your Citroen? Is it a DS3 or 5?

I've bought myself a few cars recently, namely a T+ Everest, 2 Series Coupé 218i and CKD X1 218d.

Everest because it's the best for the long journeys and off-roading we do on weekends. For me it's the best in class.

X1 is for the missus. I could have gone for the GLA but diesel torque and just practicality trumps the Merc. Also want her to have a higher seating position.

218i is gonna be my commuter car, something a bit fun, but light on fuel, I also like something a bit different.

People choose what they wanna choose. I could have put all the cash together and got a 7 Series or just bought a CX-5 for the X1 and a .......can't think of anything to compare to the 2 Series.

I also did the sums and I expect a 500k depreciation after 2 years on both my Everest and X1. For me that's a very good deal on the X1 so it may cost more but if the loss after a couple of years is the same I'm very happy to go with the X1. Throwing in free servicing and maintenance, also the fact motorcycles seem to avoid my car when they see the badge (which is no bad thing) I think it's worth it to me.

For sure premium brands aren't worth buying compared to all the locally manufactured cars, but they also hold their value extremely well and I sell my cars on after 2-3 years so it matches with my purchase criteria.

So whatever you want to buy, or if you don't want to buy anything is fine because it's your choice.

Edited by ChesneyHawkes

Most people in the world have jobs. Jobs generally don't pay well. In a country of 60 million people - how many business owners do you think there are? How many are making say US$50k a month or more? That's not a big business, in fact, it's quite small.

There is a guy selling noodles in Sukhumvit Soi 65 who, by the looks of how busy he is each day is easily making around 300K Baht per month.

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. DELETED. you are a really funny guy !

and incomes that reach 2M per month is RARE.... you have to give me statistics instead of talking about "plenty".

The President of France is earning : 14 910,31 € bruts per month.. (that means you have to take out 25% out to know what is left after tax)

that is around : 602 293 thb per month.. before tax.. and He's the PRESIDENT ^^

So yes.. many people earns 1M per month.. it's well known..

wai2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif wub.png cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Edited by seedy
language

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. I almost piss on my pant.. you are a really funny guy !

and incomes that reach 2M per month is RARE.... you have to give me statistics instead of talking about "plenty".

The President of France is earning : 14 910,31 € bruts per month.. (that means you have to take out 25% out to know what is left after tax)

Have you maybe ever considered that some people don't actually pay tax. Yes maybe the President of France does get paid that amount but I am sure he doesnt pay for his car, house, utility bills and so on. What car do you have here in Thailand? What part do you live in?

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. I almost piss on my pant.. you are a really funny guy !

Have you maybe ever considered that some people don't actually pay tax. Yes maybe the President of France does get paid that amount but I am sure he doesnt pay for his car, house, utility bills and so on. What car do you have here in Thailand? What part do you live in?

even with tax not paying payed wich that is not possible usually because it's illegal anywhere in the world.. I guess, but maybe I am wrong again ^^ It's just a matter of 20% to 50% no more.

People who do earn so much are buisiness man.. CAC 40 people, BIG drug dealers and so on... it just a few in %, very rare to find !

What car do I have here ? if you are so curious just dig in the forum.. you'll find it by yourself, it's a cheap one !

What part ? around 20mn away from CM, pure country side !