How much would be my Condo Electricity Bill?

Any idea how much can be the electricity bill if we rent a condo in bangkok? I guess its 8 baht per unit there. I plan to run my PC for around 12 hours per day, Fridge (24x7), Internet, Fan. My AC is around 1.5 Ton i believe and I have 2 AC's in there however i plan to just run 1 AC at a time. Cieling lights only to be used after sunset as the room is bright all day

Edited by Thaidude

It depends on how big the room is. 8 baht is an apartment rate, if in a condo you can get your own account at a much better rate. But just for giggles...I have a 35 sq meter room and pretty much never run the AC just use a big 18 inch fan...laptop all day...lights not so much and fridge 24x7. My electric is about 60 units used at 8 baht = 480 baht monthly. If I used the AC every day...maybe about 1700 to 2500 baht.

It depends on how big the room is. 8 baht is an apartment rate, if in a condo you can get your own account at a much better rate. But just for giggles...I have a 35 sq meter room and pretty much never run the AC just use a big 18 inch fan...laptop all day...lights not so much and fridge 24x7. My electric is about 60 units used at 8 baht = 480 baht monthly. If I used the AC every day...maybe about 1700 to 2500 baht.

My condo is 30 sq metre probably so its similar to yours. Yes I do plan on using AC everyday as its too hot on the 15th floor i believe. How many hours of AC do you think will turn the bill to 2500 baht?

Also whats the best rate for condo unit? I can ask the landlord about it but not sure if they would agree as they have another customer in line lol

My energy consumption is about the same as yours. I say about because I only run one AC limited to night only, plus the whole condo has energy efficient lights bulbs.

I replaced the 65 watt bulbs with 5/6 watt LED bulbs.. The lighting with the new is just as good as the former.

The building charge 5.5 Baht /unit

My bill is 3500 Baht per month

If it were 8 Baht/unit then I would expect a bill of 5000 Baht per month

Given that your AC use is greater then I think that 6000 Baht /month is realistic. More if your bulbs are not classed as energy efficient.

My energy consumption is about the same as yours. I say about because I only run one AC limited to night only, plus the whole condo has energy efficient lights bulbs.

I replaced the 65 watt bulbs with 5/6 watt LED bulbs.. The lighting with the new is just as good as the former.

The building charge 5.5 Baht /unit

My bill is 3500 Baht per month

If it were 8 Baht/unit then I would expect a bill of 5000 Baht per month

Given that your AC use is greater then I think that 6000 Baht /month is realistic. More if your bulbs are not classed as energy efficient.

Thanks for the tip regarding the LED bulbs. What if I plan to run AC for around 12 hours per day. What's the max i can expect with 8 thb per unit?

My condo is 30 sq metre probably so its similar to yours. Yes I do plan on using AC everyday as its too hot on the 15th floor i believe. How many hours of AC do you think will turn the bill to 2500 baht?

Also whats the best rate for condo unit? I can ask the landlord about it but not sure if they would agree as they have another customer in line lol

If you were to run it a couple of hours during the day and maybe at night only...then probably keep it to 2500-3500 per month. But if you set it down to 22 C all day...better get to the ATM

Electric rates:

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=111&pid=109

Edited by tonray

A 1.5 Ton A/C is about 18,000 BTU, that will pull about 1.8kW when the compressor is running.

Worst case, 12 hours with the temperature set so the compressor never cuts out = 1.8*12 = 21.6 Units @ 8 Baht = 172 Baht per day or 5,200 Baht per month (per aircon).

Budget around that and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the tip regarding the LED bulbs. What if I plan to run AC for around 12 hours per day. What's the max i can expect with 8 thb per unit?

Dude... "running" the AC means nothing! the power consumption of your aircon depends on your desired room temperature, the ambient (outside) temperature and the heat load on your studio.

example:

-average heat load and one person,

-outside temp 35ºC,

-set inside temp 27ºC,

-1½ ton (18,000 btu/h),

-estimated runtime 50%.

6 hours cooling cycle, 1.7kWh, 8 Baht = ~2,400 Baht/month.

any set single ºC lower will increase your cost by 15-20%, i.e. set temp 22ºC will double consumption

I rent a 3 bedroom house and a have family of four.

All rooms have A/C and I estimate a typical days usage would equate to approximately 36 operating hours at this time of year. It can drop to no A/C use at all in the cold season for a few weeks.

Plus we run fans, fridges, hot water, numerous appliances and lights. I'm the only one that turns lights off when they're not necessary.

My latest electric bill was 5,500 baht. The cheapest bill in the cold season will be around 4,000 baht.

I don't see how a condo could run up anything like a 5k bill, even running A/C 24/7.

All rooms have A/C and I estimate a typical days usage would equate to approximately 36 operating hours at this time of year. It can drop to no A/C use at all in the cold season for a few weeks.

Plus we run fans, fridges, hot water, numerous appliances and lights. I'm the only one that turns lights off when they're not necessary.

My latest electric bill was 5,500 baht. The cheapest bill in the cold season will be around 4,000 baht.

I don't see how a condo could run up anything like a 5k bill, even running A/C 24/7.

Are you paying 8 baht per unit ?

I live in 2 bed condo 75 sqm, run AC approximately 12 hours per day on average. TV, Internet, Fridge, cook a couple days per week, no led bulbs. Alternate between AC in living room and bedroom most of the time, but sometimes have two units on. 2nd bedrrom is an office which is never used. My bill comes around to be 3,000 to 3,500 baht per month on average. The highest was around 4000 but less than 5000.

What the posts show...it really depends on the layout of your condo, the temp you set your AC set and the efficiency of your unit.

I know in some small condos, they are like pizza ovens and the AC will actually work harder to keep them at temp than a larger unit with more space.

Nope, paying the government rate circa 4 baht.

My comments take this into account that I'm paying 50% less than the OP but obviously consuming probably three times the units that he could ever consume, as in upwards of 1,300 units per month in the hot season.

what part of

1.7kWh x 8 Baht x 24 hours x 30 days= 9.792 Baht

is it you don't understand? huh.png

I live in 2 bed condo 75 sqm, run AC approximately 12 hours per day on average. TV, Internet, Fridge, cook a couple days per week, no led bulbs. Alternate between AC in living room and bedroom most of the time, but sometimes have two units on. 2nd bedrrom is an office which is never used. My bill comes around to be 3,000 to 3,500 baht per month on average. The highest was around 4000 but less than 5000.

"run AC" = coffee1.gif

Nope, paying the government rate circa 4 baht.

My comments take this into account that I'm paying 50% less than the OP but obviously consuming probably three times the units that he could ever consume, as in upwards of 1,300 units per month in the hot season.

for the record: the OP hasn't paid anything (yet). he asked for an estimate. his question was answered by Crossy and me giving him an estimate amount based on logical assumptions.

Suspect that we all assume that the OP understands what a'unit 'is

Just in the case he does not.

A single unit is 1000 watts of power consumed for one hour.

Generally referred to by tech.guys as a Kilowatt-Hour or KWH

So if a fan is rated at 100 watt (not un -typical )then after 10 hours of operation it has consumed 1 KWH or as condo owners refer to it one unit.

For this 10 hours the OP will pay 8 Baht

The problem is that it's a big jump from 8 baht to 5000 Baht/ month

Refrigerators consume a lot . 24 hour operation and generally nothing you can do about it short of keeping the temperatures higher rather than lower and keep minimum items in there.

Certain co -owners( in the condo where I live) who do not use their condos- typically get a bill of 700 Baht/month (at 5.5 Baht per unit). Everything else is off . It can only be the refrigerator.

Edited by Delight

So if a fan is rated at 100 watt (not un -typical )then after 10 hours of operation it has consumed 1 KWH or as condo owners refer to it one unit.

Refrigerators consume a lot . 24 hour operation and generally nothing you can do about it short of keeping the temperatures higher rather than lower and keep minimum items in there.

Certain co -owners( in the condo where I live) who do not use their condos- typically get a bill of 700 Baht/month (at 5.5 Baht per unit). Everything else is off . It can only be the refrigerator.

suspect we can assume that you don't know that airconditioners exist. the OP mentioned the studio he rented has an aircon of 1½ tons equalling 18,000 btu/h.

this unit draws 1700 watts per hour if it's a recent model and up to 2,000 watts per hour if it's and older model.

it doesn't take rocket science or being a genius to see the big jump difference between using a fan to using an aircon which consumes up to 20 times more electricity.

gigglem.gif

My condo is more than twice the size of the OP's. My air-con (just one large unit) runs 24/7 most of the year along with 2 ceiling fans on low speed, as does my PC, and I also have a fridge, washing machine, water heater, large TV, hi-fi, oven etc all of which get normal use.

With my old air-con unit my bills (at government rate) were usually around 3500-4500B. With a new inverter air-con they fell to around 1200-1800B.

My condo is more than twice the size of the OP's. My air-con (just one large unit) runs 24/7 most of the year along with 2 ceiling fans on low speed, as does my PC, and I also have a fridge, washing machine, water heater, large TV, hi-fi, oven etc all of which get normal use.

With my old air-con unit my bills (at government rate) were usually around 3500-4500B. With a new inverter air-con they fell to around 1200-1800B.

thermostat set on 29 or 30ºC? whistling.gif

thermostat set on 29 or 30ºC? whistling.gif

I would set it at 27 and have a stand fan blowing towards the working area. This is the maximum to ensure extraction of humidity in the room.

Should be set to 26 during the night.

So at the government rate it's 3500-4500 per month and at twice the government rate (8 baht) it would be 7000 - 9000 per month. That is pretty much in line with earlier estimates given to the OP for a 1/2 size condo. He does not have a new fangled inverter AC I believe.

In the good old days, when someone else was paying the bill (employer) the bill for my 2 bedroom apartment in central Bangkok was 7000-8000 THB per month and it ran 24/7

I attempted to turn if off when I was going out one time and came back to an apartment with a thin coating of condensation on the marble floors, needless to say that was the end of my conservation efforts

Have no idea what the thermostat was set at but it was comfortable

I would set it at 27 and have a stand fan blowing towards the working area. This is the maximum to ensure extraction of humidity in the room.

Yes, that's more or less how I have it with a couple of exceptions.

I set it on 28 because that's the temperature I like. Anything less makes it feel too hot outside. It stays on 28 day and night.

The ceiling fans (set on low) move the air very gently around the room, which I also like. I dont like stand fans at all, particularly blowing on me.

Yes, that's more or less how I have it with a couple of exceptions.

I set it on 28 because that's the temperature I like. Anything less makes it feel too hot outside. It stays on 28 day and night.

The ceiling fans (set on low) move the air very gently around the room, which I also like. I dont like stand fans at all, particularly blowing on me.

With the ceiling heights of the newish condos, the few strands of hair left on my head would be cropped off...?

With the ceiling heights of the newish condos, the few strands of hair left on my head would be cropped off...

That's a plus point for older buildings; I need to stand on a chair to touch my suspended ceiling, and above it there are several more feet of empty space.

suspect we can assume that you don't know that airconditioners exist. the OP mentioned the studio he rented has an aircon of 1½ tons equalling 18,000 btu/h.

this unit draws 1700 watts per hour if it's a recent model and up to 2,000 watts per hour if it's and older model.

it doesn't take rocket science or being a genius to see the big jump difference between using a fan to using an aircon which consumes up to 20 times more electricity.

gigglem.gif

What an arrogant man you are!

My post had the intent of limited scope

4000 baht seems a lot. I live in a condo in Chiang Mai, surrounded by concrete buildings.

My monthly power bill for 9 months of the year is around 400baht. This includes good lighting (energy saving bulbs), PC running 15 hrs a day, occasional TV, fridge, water heater, cold water washing machine, induction hot plate, microwave, electric jug.

My April power bill was 1300baht. Temp on the AC is set to 28C. Used as necessary. Fans running most of the day and small fan all night. Not sure of the rate per kwh, but it's a 'condo rate' which is about 4baht, to which various taxes are added.

My neighbours run their AC all night and it costs them a packet!