The week that was in Thailand News: Big Brother is watching you brush past your fellow man

Jonathan Fairfield

Not everyone chooses where they live but for those who do they do so by weighing up the pro's and cons. I enjoyed my time in Thailand and can see why so many farangs love the life. When looking at stories like the one of the British family who were beaten up by drunken yobs or the British tourists who were brutally murdered on Koh Tao or all the bag snatchers, con artist taxi drivers and drunken/druggie drivers this has nothing to do with "living" in Thailand. It is the real dangers of visiting as a tourist. When you live in Thailand you know how to avoid the pitfalls and dodge the maniacs. When you are a tourist you are not forewarned.

A fair post. I could write pages about the better aspects of Thailand. The reason I live here is because I like the Thai people. But there will always be bad people everywhere.

I concur with regard to generally the normal thai folk here, who I find are lovely people. In some respects I agree; however since the days of Thaksin (on either side you stand) drugs have become another epidemic: in my experience as an honest bouncer of over a decade (in Australia) you just don't see violence like this without some 'nitro' mixed into the cocktail, in this case due to financial underpinnings the poison I speak of is Ya-Ba and I believe was all part of the vicious assault on the elderly pair.

The blackened teeth tell the story here in SE Asia, in Essan they (excuse themselves levelling the jungle) use the stuff to work harder and longer, in metropolis its just another recreational drug of the world. The Thai police were scared of Thaksin, as they knew his squads - there would be no f#cking around, death sorts out this ilk of human being and the trouble they cause society permanently. Just like the rest of the world, there is only one reason why its manufacture and distribution continue so prolifically; these are who police these substances, but can't help but be lured by the economic gain. I was spiked by the Thai Police on Phuket years ago - it's a sh!t drug mark my words, but like all (stimulant) drugs, mix it with alcohol and you've got a recipe for physically overtly aggressive disaster I (don't drink) or use recreational drugs period 'now' - MJ trial, found ineffective to help permanent chronic pain. - buying MJ off the Thai undercover drug squad of Patong was offered everything.crazy.gif REGGAE BARS STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS

I like other pundits here a TV have watched the Hua Hin video many times and you may argue who started it and who did what but the bottom line is that under no circumstances do civilized people kick an old lady in the head who is lying on the ground as she attempts to get up

Now that the police have identified the "suspects" the witch hunts starts on who leaked the video that shamed Thailand, since in the eyes of the Thai face crowd the video that surfaced was a greater crime than the assault it shows

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913891-leaking-hua-hin-attack-footage-damaged-the-country-say-authorities/

Unfortunately, not many thai citizens reply on TV.

With regards to this particular thread and many threads like it, I am left to wonder 2 things:

1. if TV is not an official venue for foreigners to complain and be heard by the "authorities", then what exactly are posters hoping to achieve by submitting replies?

2. why would some posters defend Thailand, it's people, it's oddities and what not, when the simplest option for them would be to stay quiet and enjoy what they purport to enjoy?

It seems sometimes re: point 2 that some people are afraid the goose that has laid their golden egg is being jeopardized, that their bastions of personal comfort may become eroded OR heaven forbid, they are armchair ostriches playing "hide my head" in their own sandboxes.