Thai labourers complain of low wages, indebtedness and unfair treatment

rooster59

Thai laborers should have been united decades ago in Unions.

Yeah sure the West did it years ago and look where that got them. Its all unraveling there. If your retired sit back crank open a beer and enjoy the show it will be a doozy.

yup protected wages, health and safety protocols, decent education, health care benefits but who cares about all that 'stuff' right?

OK lets see here.Could low wages,indebtedness be because of inapt and lazy working habits then drinking and gambling in excess ? Unfair treatment compared to other workers from other countries ? Changing your ways is the only way to get improvement in your life.

There is an interesting twist to this now.

My Thai GF commented on this news, saying it was much discussed on Thai forums/social media. whereas many Thai's them-self now say that people have to wake up and smell the coffee. as they have now seen that a pay increase only results in prices going up most likely more than the pay increase, and that Thailand is loosing out to other neighboring countries for foreign investments, and they are seeing that factories are moving from Thailand to another ASEAN country....

Many comment was that Thai people should stop complaining and work harder........

coffee1.gif

OK lets see here.Could low wages,indebtedness be because of inapt and lazy working habits then drinking and gambling in excess ? Unfair treatment compared to other workers from other countries ? Changing your ways is the only way to get improvement in your life.

Changing the Government might help a bit though. Pity that is not a pain free option.

The problem is the workers daydream about being back in the village,in the hammock, under the trees watching the rice grow.....between sleeps!

The corn harvester team (7 Thai's) that came the other week had 3 hangers on that did nothing.......till my wife served lunch! Luckily we pay per rai not per person!

So the 7 guys sharing their pay with 3 friends wasn't really a problem then, unless you count the 10 baht each the lunch cost?

Never mind even with decent wages they dont want too work ....eg in a restaurant

Ask them to work split shifts you will see just how unfair they think that is!

You cant get a Thai to do a split-shift in a restaurant, that is true. But given its 6 days a week, 54 hours in the kitchen and the split-shift gonna keep the kid away from his home 13 or 14 hours a day, you'd be lucky to find anyone wants that when the wage minimums are what they are and OT is nearly impossible to justify.

Plus in a restaurant the bill for 2 people can easily equal your dishwashers monthly income, so in a sense the restaurant is not an empowering position for the Thai. Thais regularly use the same word for a cook as for a construction worker- Gomagon. In my opinion its the middle class who need to set an example of strong productivity before we expect the labourers to feel like they have to show any determination...other than desperation to make ends meet.

.......'The problem is the foreign migrant workers'........???

....you mean those hapless souls we read about.....half a rung above slaves.....???

....now I have heard it all......

...that's like saying....."The Problem With Illegally Smuggled Cars.....is The Cars" ......

Edited by SOTIRIOS

Two weeks ago i went to Homepro to buy a new fridge.Greeted as usuall at the entrance,thank you very much,in Thai..Then i went on my hunt for a fridge with not less then 3-4 staff members following me..When i found what i was looking for,but i wanted to check some things first.

3-5 staff were asked by me if they could speak any English,Thai smile and the answer was -NO..UNTIL one guy who later told me that he had been working abroard,me asking why he spoke so good English.We chatted for a while and i saked him about the pure,in my eyes,pure lazyness from Thai to even remotly try to learn some words of English..Guess what his answer was,and the answer summerize Thaiworking force to great numbers,.They want sabai sabai..

My wife running a small Restaurant can't find staff EVEN if we give them free room and food + a good salary + tip...Do you think they stay,do you think they would even remotly try to learn a few basics in English,do you think they would see,without me or my wife acting like their parents,when for excample fans need to be cleaned,or anything else to be cleaned..ANSWER ---NO.

And that goes for my stepdauther too i might add..17 year old and got pregnat,boyfriend a lazy punk of 21.I kicked them out of our house after 2 month not even learned to say -Thank you for all the help...Thai workers,not all but most of them i met during my 15 years living here,deserves what they have when it comes to jobs and salary..Rant over.

Have a good day everyone.smile.png smile.png

Changing the Government might help a bit though. Pity that is not a pain free option.

Yesterday the dear PM said he wants to raise the minimum to 360 baht / day.... don't know when or if that will go in effect

I think most business owners will say Thai efficiency is very low, raising salaries don't really change a thing. Even Japanese owners said the Thai efficiency is very bad and needs to improve...there is a massive shortage of skilled labors.

The problem is the workers daydream about being back in the village,in the hammock, under the trees watching the rice grow.....between sleeps!

The corn harvester team (7 Thai's) that came the other week had 3 hangers on that did nothing.......till my wife served lunch! Luckily we pay per rai not per person!

So the 7 guys sharing their pay with 3 friends wasn't really a problem then, unless you count the 10 baht each the lunch cost?

It was a 12 baht per head lunch thank you very much! She served two kinds of rice.

Our family had to follow the harvester around to pick up the cobs that don't get gathered in.....they could have offered to help.

It was a 12 baht per head lunch thank you very much! She served two kinds of rice.

Our family had to follow the harvester around to pick up the cobs that don't get gathered in.....they could have offered to help.

I know what you mean, but I rather like the way groups of people get together and share - the benefits if not always the work. We have someone who works for us who often brings a friend to work for company, especially if the work involves driving somewhere. We pay him minimum wage for the day if we see him being useful, It is gratefully received but it is not expected and we made it clear from the beginning that we were not employing him on any basis.Otherwise he works as a motorcycle taxi driver and his wife has a full time job that brings most of the household money in. He says he would rather get out and do something useful with a friend than sit waiting on his motorbike all day. Our actual employee is much more productive when his friend is around too.

If your 3 hangers on had pitched in and helped, you would perhaps have felt obliged to pay them, even if they didn't really achieve much of value. I expect they had tons of useful advice for the workers - spectators usually do