Money missing from account at Bangkok Bank

Put money into an account yesterday, and today when taking out money I noticed it was 200bht down.

My passbook shows the amount I deposited.

I know it's not much, but don't like the thought of someone stealing from me and still having the ability to do it again.

Is there any reason why 200bht would specifically go missing?

My card only works at ATMs and is chip + pin, but shouldn't matter as it's not been used at an ATM.

Cheers

Indeed it seems to be a card fee charge - did you just get card/open account, or one year ago by chance? If you used passbook to take money out there should be an entry code to explain the 200 baht.

Edited by lopburi3

Great, thanks for the replies people.

I've not used the card for around 7 months when I got charged the card renewal fee, but I hadn't used it for a while before then so even though it's not been a year it is probably because of the date.

I just thought it would show up in passbook, but maybe it will the next deposit.

Just glad someone doesn't have free access to my account.

PS have the fees gone down? I thought the card renewal fee was 400 last time, so didn't even think it might be the case now.

PS have the fees gone down? I thought the card renewal fee was 400 last time, so didn't even think it might be the case now.

From the Bangkok Bank site:

• Joining Fee: 100Bt
  • Annual Fee: 200Bt until 30 June 2016 (usually 300Bt)
  • Card Replacement Fee: 100Bt

//edit lopburi3 got there first. biggrin.png

Sounds like an annual debit card fee as Bt200 is typical fee for many Thai bank debit cards unless you got one of those pricey one that come with useless insurance. As mentioned the Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card annual fee is Bt200.

The passbook / ibanking entry will show what the Bt200 deduction is for. Like below is a cut and paste of how the Bangkok Bank annual Bt200 debit card fee appeared for me.

post-55970-0-50292300-1462110026_thumb.j

As FYI, if you have the Be1st card (non-chip) the annual fee is Bt200. For the Bt1st Smart (chipped card) the annual fee is normally Bt300 but Bt200 until 30 Jun 16. So if you have the chipped card, next year the fee will be Bt300 vs Bt200.

See below fee snapshots from the Bangkok Bank website.

Be1st Card (non-chipped...magnet strip only)

post-55970-0-48135100-1462110420_thumb.j

Be1st Smart Card (chipped)

post-55970-0-90217200-1462110431_thumb.j

Edit: while getting distracted by the wife and dog and getting another beer while writing above I see lopburi3 and Tywais already gave above info. See what a wife and beer cause...slows you down. tongue.png

Edited by Pib

Amazing how some who have not bothered to understand how their accounts work or what charges are involved immediately leap to the conclusion that money is "missing " from an account.

I have banked with BB for many years and never had a problem.

You need to teach me the ways of the Jedi.

No. You just need to ask/read/learn how your account works and what charges are involved.

I believe that's what he was doing.

No. You just need to ask/read/learn how your account works and what charges are involved.

Not sure if you missed the part where I said I paid a yearly renewal fee 7 months ago.

I'll let you off with a warning. Do it again and no dessert for you.

Not sure if you missed the part where I said I paid a yearly renewal fee 7 months ago.

I'll let you off with a warning. Do it again and no dessert for you.

If you did indeed pay an annual renewal fee 7 months ago, then contact your branch or call the Bangkok Bank Call Center at 1333 to ask what the Bt200 deduction was for.

But your passbook / ibanking entries should clearly identify what the Bt200 deduction was for.

If you do not update your bank pass-book regularly you may find that individual transactions are not separately listed. Instead there will be one listing combining a number of transactions. With Bangkok Bank I think the code for this CMB i.e. Combined No Book Transaction

If you want to track down individual transactions you have to request a listing at your branch.

This explains why sometimes transactions are not listed but the balance has been amended.

It also helps to extend the life of a pass-book.

OP: why don't you phone the ban and ask them?

Great advice, assuming the OP has reasonable Thai skills. Three banks in our town and the English language ability of the staff comes under diddly and squat.

Last year I asked BBK for the chip atm card. They said 200 baht. But they also told me their chip atm cards dont work outside Thailand yet. Has that changed lately?

The Be1st Smart card is more than just an ATM card – it gives you the freedom and peace of mind to shop at stores in Thailand and across the world without having to carry cash and unlike a credit card, funds are deducted directly from your account. This means there are no monthly bills, no interest charges and no credit bureau worries!
Withdraw cash safely: The card can be used at more than 9,300 Bangkok Bank ATMs nationwide. VISA EMV-enabled ATMs are also available in some countries abroad, so your money can be kept safe when you travel.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stSmart/Pages/Default.aspx

Sorry if I seems harsh, but what would you have done in your home country ? Something like going into the bank and ask for a statement to see what the B 200 was for, does this not make more sense than to post on TV. Nobody on here can give you an answer, so why post here and why presume that your money has been stolen. Who the h...l will steal B 200 ?

OP: why don't you phone the ban and ask them?

Great advice, assuming the OP has reasonable Thai skills. Three banks in our town and the English language ability of the staff comes under diddly and squat.

And your Thai ability is what diddly and squat as well ?

Great, thanks for the replies people.

I've not used the card for around 7 months when I got charged the card renewal fee, but I hadn't used it for a while before then so even though it's not been a year it is probably because of the date.

I just thought it would show up in passbook, but maybe it will the next deposit.

Just glad someone doesn't have free access to my account.

"I just thought it would show up in passbook, but maybe it will the next deposit."

You can update the bank book without a transaction. Branches, including those at malls, have a machine similar to an ATM. You open the book to the first page with unused space and shove it in the machine. It'll will print all transaction since the last update (if it's been many months it may consolidate them). If there;s not enough space, the machine will ask you to open the next page and insert again.The 200 baht transaction will appear with a code next to it.

I went into the K bank to do some business last week.I always up date my pass book at the machine before doing this.I noticed that 199 baht had been taken out of my account.When i questioned the girl she told me i would have to speak to the call centre.A guy came on and told me it was fro text messages when money goes into my account,as i put money in weekly,i said that i dont remember giving them permission to do this. He said 'we dont tell you,we just do it,its for your convenience' it shows on your smart phone.I said convenience be damned.I dont have a smart phone and i;m sure you have to get my permission.I told him it was robbery and i know of no other bank that does it.After he had gone to see his manager about IF they could give me my money back,and waiting about 10 minutes he came back and said how sorry he was and did i want to cancel the arrangement.I got a bit irate and explained to him that i had never made any such bloody arrangement,and that i would take it to a more senior level.He agreed that the money would be reimbursed in 3 days and he was sorry for the mistake,ON MY PART.Any way the money was reimbursed.

So! my point is if you are with the k bank check your accounts boys,in case thy have done it to you.All those 199 bahts add up.

It's never really clear from your passbook, but I feel sure it is the annual fee. That normally covers you for free withdrawals but only within the Province of your Branch. I discovered my annual B200 gone yesterday from my Bkk account

On the last page of a Bangkok Bank passbook it lists the most common codes, not all, just the ones most frequently used.. Looking at the last page of my passbooks it says the Code for the ATM Annual Fee (as in your annual ATM/Debit card fee) is "ATM".

Now, if you look at your Bangkok Bank ibanking transactions are reflected differently as the the codes on the back page of the passbook are not used but instead a "Description Column" is used to describe things in layman's terms such as "ATM/Debit Card Annual Fee." And do not confuse the ibanking "Channel Column" code with the code used in the passbook....the ibanking "Channel" code is just identifying what channel was used to withdrawal/add/transfer money like a cash withdrawal from an ATM has a Channel code of "ATM", Paying a bill with ibanking has a Channel code "IB" for internet banking, etc. The ATM/Debit Card Annual Fee Channel coding is "AUTO".

So, the coding/description is there to tell a person what a transaction is for...just be sure to take into account the coding/description between passbook and ibanking entries will be displayed differently. And as already mentioned by another poster if you haven't updated your passbook for a while time, when you stick it into a passbook update machine or the branch clerk updates it it may just consolidate all those past transactions into "one" line entry like a Balance Forward entry showing what all the debit/deposits summed up to and then you new balance. But on your ibanking you can still see the individual entries going back around 6 months and of course if contacting Bangkok Bank they could tell you the specifics of a certain transaction. Just takes communicating with your bank.