Question about tourist visa as an american

i currently hold an METV which will be due to expire in september 5th. My plan is to leave the country and go to malyasia for a few days for vacation , and re-enter thailand. I will leave thailand again on september 19th to the united states.

Would i need to obtain a visa for my short stay back in thailand? If not, what documents/etc would i need?

I hear normally americans can stay for up to 30 days although my case is a bit different i suppose, as i have pages and pages of expired thai visas.

thanks everyone

You can do an entry to get a new 60 day entry on or before the enter before date on your visa (Sept. 5th ?). The visas expiration date does not limit the amount of time can stay in the country.

You could also extend the 60 day entry you are on that would be the next to last one you can do for 30 days at an immigration office.

• Like 1

• No you don't need a visa for your re-entry to Thailand. You should have no problem entering using visa exempt entry that will give you 30 days, even with many expired visas.
  • You don't typically need any documentation for a visa exempt entry, but the IO might (unlikely) ask to see an onward flight and or 10K (min) cash.
  • If your visa's 'enter before' date is Sep 5th, and you are flexible with your trip to Malaysia, and you return from Mtaylasia on or before Sep 5th, you would be granted a 60 day stay using the METV.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

thank you to both of you for responding and being very specific! much appreciated

this METV became active *January 6th* when i entered Thailand, stayed until the end of March (1st exit, left thailand) .

Now i am going back to the USA on *May 20th* (2nd exit) and i will re-enter thailand on *June 6th*.

For there, i will be granted another 60 days, and then extend another month at immigration for 30 days and then will have to leave about September 5th(3rd and final exit). Then after the 5th the METV is no longer valid.

This is correct, right?

If you have an METV, this permits unlimited entries until the "enter before" date on the visa. This is different from the old (no longer issued) 3-entry tourist visa.

Look at the "enter before" date on the visa to determine your best course of action.

thank you to both of you for responding and being very specific! much appreciated

this METV became active *January 6th* when i entered Thailand, stayed until the end of March (1st exit, left thailand) .

Now i am going back to the USA on *May 20th* (2nd exit) and i will re-enter thailand on *June 6th*.

For there, i will be granted another 60 days, and then extend another month at immigration for 30 days and then will have to leave about September 5th(3rd and final exit). Then after the 5th the METV is no longer valid.

This is correct, right?

• No. The visa becomes active on the day it's issued and not the first entry to Thailand. You have 6 months from the date of issue to enter as many times as you want.
  • The important date is the 'enter before' date printed on the visa. This is the expiry date of the visa and the last day you can enter using the visa.

If you advise us of the 'enter before' date we can clarify your options.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

The enter before date is June 1st, 2016.

Look forward to your further help on this!

thank you again

If you enter on or before June 1st you will be allowed to stay for 60 days extendable by 30 days at an immigration office.

Edit

correction of error

Edited by johnatong

First, you cannot enter on June 6 using your METV (which will have expired by that time). Either reschedule your return to Thailand to June 1 or just before, or get a new SETV for your return.

Most likely, if returning to Thailand a few days before your return to the US, a visa exempt entry will be appropriate.

Edited by BritTim

Okay so i pretty much wasted 60 days out of my METV, lesson learned.

So, i cannot change my flight so i will be entering on June 6th into thailand. I assume i won't have any issues with a visa exempt entering into thailand?

thanks again

Edited by riorobc023

So, i cannot change my flight so i will be entering on June 6th into thailand. I assume i won't have any issues with a visa exempt entering into thailand?

thanks again

• It would be better to get a new SETV before your return on June 6th. That will give you a 60 day stay which is extendable by 30 days.
  • You could travel to and enter Thailand using visa exempt entry, BUT the airline might want to see an onward flight dated within 30 days of arrival. Without the onward flight they could refuse to allow you to board the flight.
  • Like 1

thanks again

If you wanted to get more out of your tourist visa you could do a border hop to get a new 60 day entry from your visa just before you leave for the states and then get a single re-entry permit that would keep the remainder of the 60 days valid when you re-enter the country. Then you could apply for a 30 day extension of the entry. You can get the re-entry permit at an immigration or at either airport in Bangkok when you leave the country.

The only problem you might have when entering the country visa exempt is that you might need a ticket out within 30 days of arrival to board your flight.

• Like 1

thanks again

If you wanted to get more out of your tourist visa you could do a border hop to get a new 60 day entry from your visa just before you leave for the states and then get a single re-entry permit that would keep the remainder of the 60 days valid when you re-enter the country. Then you could apply for a 30 day extension of the entry. You can get the re-entry permit at an immigration or at either airport in Bangkok when you leave the country.

The only problem you might have when entering the country visa exempt is that you might need a ticket out within 30 days of arrival to board your flight.

Wow you all are a wealth of information. What would i do without you guys! Thank you Elvia and Ubon

Okay so i'll probably just book a flight to somewhere cheap, stamp out and back in same day, and go within the week. Suggestions on where?

Where in suhvanabumi do they issue re-entry permits and what are the hours? I haven't seen that

unfortunately my flight to the states is 2am, and i would arrive about 10 pm to the airport.

thanks again

Wow you all are a wealth of information. What would i do without you guys! Thank you Elvia and Ubon

Okay so i'll probably just book a flight to somewhere cheap, stamp out and back in same day, and go within the week. Suggestions on where?

Where in suhvanabumi do they issue re-entry permits and what are the hours? I haven't seen that

unfortunately my flight to the states is 2am, and i would arrive about 10 pm to the airport.

Kuala Lumpur would be a good choice to fly to and back. You would would get a visa exempt entry for Malaysia. Check Air Asia for flights they are normally the least costly. Be aware when purchasing your tickets on the AA website you may have get your tickets to and from separately to overcome the time between flights requirement they have built into their website.

The re-entry permit office now closes at midnight. If you check in at 10 pm you would have plenty of time to get the re-entry permit. Be sure you have a 4 X 6 cm photo with you. Info on where the re-entry permit office is now located is here: New location of re-entry office at Suvarnabhumi

• Like 1

thanks again

My understanding is that you will re-enter on June 6th and want to stay approximately 3 months. In which case I think getting an SETV, that will give you 90 days with an extension of stay, is the best option. 90 days will give you permission to stay until midnight on Sept 3rd.

If you did a border hop on, for example, May 18th you will be granted a stay until July 16th. You can keep that stay alive with a re-entry permit but when you return on June 6th the IO will only give you permission to stay until July 16th. You can extend that stay by 30 days taking you to August 15th, but you will then need to do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry to cover the balance of your trip.

Returning with a SETV only requires one visit to immigration for an extension of stay. The alternative requires two border hops, one re-entry permit and a visit to immigration.

• Like 1

thanks again

My understanding is that you will re-enter on June 6th and want to stay approximately 3 months. In which case I think getting an SETV, that will give you 90 days with an extension of stay, is the best option. 90 days will give you permission to stay until midnight on Sept 3rd.

If you did a border hop on, for example, May 18th you will be granted a stay until July 16th. You can keep that stay alive with a re-entry permit but when you return on June 6th the IO will only give you permission to stay until July 16th. You can extend that stay by 30 days taking you to August 15th, but you will then need to do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry to cover the balance of your trip.

Returning with a SETV only requires one visit to immigration for an extension of stay. The alternative requires two border hops, one re-entry permit and a visit to immigration.

I would have never thought of this perspective. Less trips to immigration and flights across a border would save me a lot of hassle.

I'm assuming i can get an SETV in miami where i got my METV? I'm tight on time when i go home so i hope the process time is quick!

Also how many times per year can i have a 30 day visa exempt entry as an American?

decisions , decisions!

I would have never thought of this perspective. Less trips to immigration and flights across a border would save me a lot of hassle.

I'm assuming i can get an SETV in miami where i got my METV? I'm tight on time when i go home so i hope the process time is quick!

Also how many times per year can i have a 30 day visa exempt entry as an American?

decisions , decisions!

Yes you should have no problem getting a SETV from Miami. I don't know if they accept postal applications, but if they do I would expect you'd get the passport/visa back in a few working days. You could prepare the paperwork and drop it in the post on arrival to the US. I would also assume that the SETV would be issued on the spot if you apply in person. I suggest you drop them an email or call to check on what they require and the timescale.

Tel: 305-445-7577 - Toll Free: 888-336-3384

Email: [email protected]

Website: http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/visa_requirements.html#Tourist:32Visa

There is no limit on the number of visa exempt entries within a year. However, eventually (unknown number) you would be told to get a visa and or interviewed about your stay in Thailand. If interviewed you would have to satisfy the IO that you are a tourist and not working. It is not a long term method for staying in Thailand.

• Like 1