Am looking to adopt a kitten

NaiGreg

How long are you intending to stay in Thailand? My mother`s cat lived for 23 years.

Yes indeed. Hubby and I have had cats our entire marriage. Two lived to be nearly 24 years old and one to age 18 (poor dear had kidney issues and we infused her with subcutaneous fluids every few days for the last six years). But, the smartest cat we ever had was one who had feline leukemia. We didn't know he had it until after we adopted him and had him tested. He didn't show any symptoms for a couple years, but when he became ill, he died quickly.

I see from the Facebook for Santisook that they have cats that test positive for FeLV available for adoption. These cats must be in a household with no other cats and must be strictly indoor cats, kept away from other cats, so there isn't a chance they can spread the infection. But the infection doesn't spread to people or other pets besides cats and they can be totally healthy and live good lives until they become ill. The disease is called "kitty AIDS" because there are some similarities with human AIDS in the way it's transmitted and the progression of the disease, but it's amazing how healthy and playful our beloved Tigger was until the day he suddenly took ill and then was gone within a week. He lived to be about four years old.

Currently, we have two cats we adopted here in Thailand -- one from the soi and another by spreading the word that we were interested in adopting a playmate for Mr. Bitey to calm him down (it worked). Actually, if you simply spread the word among your circle of friends, esp. Thai people that you're interested in adopting a kitten, you'll have one in a couple weeks. They never leave our condo, so we know they'll live a long life. We probably won't be here 20+ years, but it's fairly easy to import cats into our home country and that's our plan if return.

>>They never leave our condo, <<...not much of a life .

Our windows overlook a large ledge which is Loi Kroh Rd for the local pigeon population. Mr. Bitey, in particular, has no end to his moral outrage at the goings-on he sees. Keeps him quite busy.

With two cats, they are quite active with running and wrestling games. The young cat, the Samurai Princess turns every little thing into a soccer ball to bat around the condo. Plus, they have a large collection of kitty toys.

Then, there is supervising our activities. The top of the refrigerator, Mt. Mitsubishi, is the coveted spot for being sure proper procedure is followed in the kitchen. There's a special pillow on my desk next to my computer for the kitty supervisor on duty. If it's Mr. Bitey, I don't dare go to the loo and leave the keyboard exposed. When I return, I'll discover him sitting on the keyboard, with the screen showing he's switched to doing HTML programming in my absence.

>>They never leave our condo, <<...not much of a life .

They're domesticated animals. As long as they have company they're fine.

Dogs in condos though? Very different.

I've seen some little "arm dogs" that seem to do quite well in condos provided they have plenty of human attention. But real dogs, I don't think so.

Incidentally, Mr. Bitey is an "arm cat". He L-O-V-E-S to be carried around to see stuff and hear people talking. Not at all a lap cat, but an arm cat. Others in his litter were the same way. He was born to a soi cat that was pretty domesticated living off food from a restaurant that catered to foreigners. He and his sibs were loved up by the Thai shop girls on the soi from the beginning and a couple of them were adopted by the shop girls on the soi and turned into arm cats, even to the point of riding around with them on their motorcycles. No such adventure for Mr. Bitey however.

Wat Pa Pao is a refuge for stray and abandoned cats. I got my last one from there. Lots to choose from, free. Simply walk in and gesture to a monk.

The plump bookseller used to promote adoptions from there prior to his untimely departure.