Handicapped man who 'answered back' beaten to death by knife wielding Thai mob

webfact

BKK Post is reporting that four of them are the sons of police officers. Hmm, wonder how this one is gonna' end........

Thailand is experiencing a moral crisis at the moment. It is not a crisis of outsiders destroying their culture, not Western influence, not drugs.........It is a crisis of a society where people are capable of behaving with near impunity on virtually all levels of society. A culture where so few take personal responsibility, few ever dare to apologize for a mistake (unless paraded in front of cameras), and where men are not taught how to behave like men. Simply put, Thailand needs to make a very serious (and quick) decision regarding the future of the nation. Will people be able to continually behave like animals with no consequences? Or will Thailand begin enforcing the notion of personal responsibility and forcing those to commit wrong doings to pay a heavy price? I am not so confident in the countries future.......

It explains a lot.

4 kids who think they are immune to prosecution - and they are probably right.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BKK Post is reporting that four of them are the sons of police officers. Hmm, wonder how this one is gonna' end........

Thailand is experiencing a moral crisis at the moment. It is not a crisis of outsiders destroying their culture, not Western influence, not drugs.........It is a crisis of a society where people are capable of behaving with near impunity on virtually all levels of society. A culture where so few take personal responsibility, few ever dare to apologize for a mistake (unless paraded in front of cameras), and where men are not taught how to behave like men. Simply put, Thailand needs to make a very serious (and quick) decision regarding the future of the nation. Will people be able to continually behave like animals with no consequences? Or will Thailand begin enforcing the notion of personal responsibility and forcing those to commit wrong doings to pay a heavy price? I am not so confident in the countries future.......

...bring in the Cavalry..high time.

so where are all those farang experts of Thai cultural who can lecture us about how stupid the handicapped person was and that he didn't understand Thai culture and deserved to get beaten to death?

Please step forward and educate us

Edited by Time Traveller

Actually society is just a reflection of the behavior of its leaders who in the case of Thailand act with impunity and immune from any repercussions.

I've been physically attacked by my building foreman (and his tiny crew), as well as a baht bus driver in Pattaya. I was able to get away from the driver OK, but it didn't end well for the Thai foreman and his tiny crew, by luck I may add, I'm no bad ***, I just got the upper hand by accident.

Thais are rough, that's all there is to it. For many of them, behind those kind smiles is hate, jealousy, and rage, just waiting for a trigger to set them off.

Nothing new, it just comes with the territory. You may be at the wrong place at the wrong time, or you may deserve it. But they don't fear prison or any repercussions whatsoever for killing someone.

Great job defending yourself Tokay!

Edited by Dodgydownunder

so where are all those farang experts of Thai cultural who can lecture us about how stupid the handicapped person was and that he didn't understand Thai culture and deserved to get beaten to death?

With post #192 it would appear that you yourself are the first Farang expert to step forward.

Thai "culture" and cctv don't really get on all that well, tbh. There has always been underlying (imo) currents of violence here in my 20+ years here, just more cameras and social media spotlights highlighting it more than there used to be.

This country is rapidly going down the sewer pipes. No regard for life and no active policing. Old people and cripples seem to be most vulnerable. It is on a fast train to mayhem. I wish I could leave, unfortunately I have a family.

Edited by inzman

I'd like to commend those people at Thai Visa for reporting these sorts of stories (even if it's only the tip of the iceberg that we get to hear about). For tourists and expats it's vital information (as well as readers' comments and advice) about how we should behave and things to be wary about in our travels or daily life in Thailand. I wonder how much longer the government may allow information sharing forums such as this. I hear mention of a possible firewall. The day that happens i'll be making plans for my exit strategy.

The police here are not real police - but criminals in uniform.

The apple obviously doesn't fall far from the tree. Criminals in uniform breeding little violent, uneducated thugs who know they are immune to prosecution.

Police reform would make Thailand a much better place but no-one has the balls to do it, sadly.

If the PM has 'got the minerals' he should set an example here and show that 'connected' people are not above the law, wishful thinking I know.. whistling.gif

There have been way to many cases over the last few years, some covered globally in the news, whereby people have literally got away scot-free with murder due to their connections ... coffee1.gif

Bring back the birch. Birch them in public, the shame would be better than any prison time...thumbsup.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Rip somkiat. Very sad event of thuggery and as pointed out 4 of the 6 policemans sons. I noticed in the second video, while the police were present, one of the attackers (i presume) is ushered away by 'some guy' onto the back of a motorbike and hes clearly covered in blood too. Umm, should he not have been arrested at the scene? But then those connections are from the same police station. Sorry not police bashing here and just stating what you can see in the video ...take a look youself.

IMO, drunk or not, carrying weapons around on a motorbike like they had and used is premeditation.

Completely off topic rant: why the heck is it soooo trendy here on TV to use the word "apologist". This word is hardly used anywhere else in the media! Mix it up a little please!!

It`s only `apologists` who don`t like the word.

"Apologist". Most often used when a poster is asked to back up their Thai bashing rant with some facts and is unable to do so.

"Apologist".Most often used because it really does wind up the apologists.

Completely off topic rant: why the heck is it soooo trendy here on TV to use the word "apologist". This word is hardly used anywhere else in the media! Mix it up a little please!!

It`s only `apologists` who don`t like the word.

"Apologist". Most often used when a poster is asked to back up their Thai bashing rant with some facts and is unable to do so.

"Apologist".Most often used because it really does wind up the apologists.

Do you mean it makes them apoplectic ?

Yes it`s very telling that the people that had the most to say on the thread about the British family brutally attacked in Hua Hin have been very silent on this thread,i guess it doesn`t fit in with their self loathing agenda.

Update on this story:

My wife just told me (from the Thai news) that 4 of the 6 in the gang are the sons of policemen. Says it all, doesn't it? Untouchable? Hope my wife doesn't get a knock on the door for teling me.

Suspected Killers of Disabled Man Related to Police http://thai.vi/1Z65lm8
They will NEVER see a courthouse from the inside.

An apology and a wai and all will be well. And let's not forget the favorite excuse... we were drunk. Sadly, Thailand sinks lower and lower every day.

Maybe if a few more Muslim enclaves were allowed to flourish around Thailand the problems of drunkenness would soon be but a distant memory....

An apology and a wai and all will be well. And let's not forget the favorite excuse... we were drunk. Sadly, Thailand sinks lower and lower every day.

Maybe if a few more Muslim enclaves were allowed to flourish around Thailand the problems of drunkenness would soon be but a distant memory....

Uh...no. Having taught in some of those Muslim enclaves in BKK I can tell you that Muslim teen boys like their drink / cigarettes and weed as much as the next guy.

What is going on over there in Thailand? I'm not sure whether it's more diligent reporting or if there truly is more violence occurring.

It's time the Thai authorities started asking themselves the hard questions: Why are the youth acting like this? Where does this murderous and violent mindset stem from? Is it drug abuse? Alcohol abuse? A lack of direction? Poor schooling? No hope for a decent future? Absentee parents? A lack of fear of serious retribution?

What's up with the gang mentality? Why do things get so quickly out of control?

What is going on?

I first went to Thailand about 20 years ago and it didn't seem to have the horrifying violence among the male youth then as it appears to now. If this is the case, why? What has happened to make them feel so disenfranchised they'll murder for an absolutely senseless reason.

It doesn't seem to have spread across to the Laos side of the river yet, thankfully.

What is going on over there in Thailand? I'm not sure whether it's more diligent reporting or if there truly is more violence occurring. It's time the Thai authorities started asking themselves the hard questions: Why are the youth acting like this? Where does this murderous and violent mindset stem from? Is it drug abuse? Alcohol abuse? A lack of direction? Poor schooling? No hope for a decent future? Absentee parents? A lack of fear of serious retribution? What's up with the gang mentality? Why do things get so quickly out of control? What is going on? I first went to Thailand about 20 years ago and it didn't seem to have the horrifying violence among the male youth then as it appears to now. If this is the case, why? What has happened to make them feel so disenfranchised they'll murder for an absolutely senseless reason. It doesn't seem to have spread across to the Laos side of the river yet, thankfully.

What is going on????

Everything you suggested and more...plus plenty more that us foreigners will never know about, let alone understand.

New rules of engagement: Avoid Thai males as much as possible...especially when out and about while yourself or Thai males are drinking or have been drinking.

Unfortunately that kind of thinking will have to be more practiced to avoid just one more potential problem while living here in Thailand.

Sounds extreme but better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers

rip to the victim. His life was complete shit, but these thai scums successfully took away the little he hadsad.png

Who are you to judge that his life was complete s#*t?

so you misunderstand me, i didnt intent to insult the victim.

Maybe you right, maybe he was the happiest guy around.

once again, rip to the victim.

ps: alancharse, we dont need another piss contestcoffee1.gif

Edited by Bender

What is going on over there in Thailand? I'm not sure whether it's more diligent reporting or if there truly is more violence occurring. It's time the Thai authorities started asking themselves the hard questions: Why are the youth acting like this? Where does this murderous and violent mindset stem from? Is it drug abuse? Alcohol abuse? A lack of direction? Poor schooling? No hope for a decent future? Absentee parents? A lack of fear of serious retribution? What's up with the gang mentality? Why do things get so quickly out of control? What is going on? I first went to Thailand about 20 years ago and it didn't seem to have the horrifying violence among the male youth then as it appears to now. If this is the case, why? What has happened to make them feel so disenfranchised they'll murder for an absolutely senseless reason. It doesn't seem to have spread across to the Laos side of the river yet, thankfully.

Just because Government and their law needs serious adjustment....

Another think is media this days showing so much violence and those small "imagine themself Big" guys are like kids which never grow.I also remember Thailand 20 years ago and it was different .

Tree years ago I started seeing bad influence and my warnings was so much criticized here on TV.

And how I was wrong ????

But there will be more and more bad things happen just watch it......

I am definitely no expert, and I understand that policing is a difficult job, but having just watched the second (disturbing) video on the source site, it does seem that the police response chaotic and poorly coordinated. Officers walking back and forth, etc. One guy, hands covered in blood, simply gets on the back of a bike and rides off right in front of the police officers. I probably sound like a 'colonial', but it looks like the Thai police could benefit from a train-the-trainers programme given by an overseas police service (UK? Canada? Australia?).

• 6 months later...