Applying for extension of stay based on work permit

As the title says, what do I need and how easy is this done?

I currently have a 1 year Non-B that will be expiring shortly but my work permit is already updated for the next year. I'd much prefer just to get an extension of stay rather than leave the country to apply for a new Non-B visa. My lawyer says the cost to prepare documents for a new non-b is easy and only costs 2k, but for the extension of stay he wants to charge over 30k. Can anyone make sense of why this is and how I can go about getting this done on my own perhaps? Cheers.

What are you doing for a living? Just to have an idea what to answer..

If a "lawyer" ( doubt that this guy's a lawyer) is asking for such a sum, there's something not genuine.

Edited by lostinisaan

proper lawyer who handles all the paperwork for our company. I work for an international company based in BKK, I.T stuff.

I'm thinking it is easier for me to figure out what documents I need and then get them to prepare them and then go in to do it myself at immigration.

Why is your employer not providing the paperwork required for an extension?

They are..through my (their) lawyer.

But they are concerned about the massive difference in fees being asked by the lawyer for an extension of stay compared to a new non-b.

I want to know what I need to get this done. What forms/details etc and the basic process. Ideally from people who have already gone through it.

But they are concerned about the massive difference in fees being asked by the lawyer for an extension of stay compared to a new non-b.

I want to know what I need to get this done. What forms/details etc and the basic process. Ideally from people who have already gone through it.

Simply the addtional costs will be to do with the addtional paper work required and addtional time the lawyer will need dealing with immigration directly in Thailand

Sounds as though the company would be well advised to seek a new lawyer.

The paperwork for a visa is virtually the same as that required for an extension. Seems the 'lawyer' is having a laugh !

• Like 1

The basic question is whether you meet all requirements for an extension of stay for the reason of employment, including the specified minimum salary for your nationality.

Extension of Thai Business Visa
The Thai "B" or Business Visa can be extended to a one year visa in country as follows.
The extension of the visa is normally based on employment and as such there are certain regulations governing the company who is employing you.

These are the regulations for the extension of the "B" Business Visa:
1. The business must be registered in Thailand.
2. The company must be capitalized to at least Baht 2 Million while operating fund must be at least Baht 1 Million.
3. The company must have a ration of at least 4 : 1 - Four Thais for every foreigner.
4. You must earn at least in accordance with the level specified for each nationality by the Labour Department.

Duration of the Extension
- One year at a time.

Documents required for the extension:
1. Application form (T.M. 7 )
2. Passport or document used in lien of passport and its copies .
3. The applicants 4 x 6 cm. photograph .
4. Extension fee Baht 1,900.-
5. The company letters certifying as follows ;
- Nature of business
- Reason or necessity in employing the applicant his / her position, salary and education background.
- Number of Thai and foreign employees.
6. Copies of work permit or receipt of work permit application.
7. Company's annual balance sheets.
8. The juristic persons Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.50) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.
9. Thai employees Monthly Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.1 ) of the latest month and its receipt of payment.
10. The applicants Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.91) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.
11. The official letter that certify the registration of such juristic person.
12. Business Registration or Business License.
13. Value Added Tax Registration and list of share holders.
14. A map that indicate location of the Company.
15. For those who operate export business, the documentary evidence clarifying its export activities is needed.
16. For those who operate tourism business, the documentary evidence clarifying its total number of tourist that brought in by the company is needed.

Some Immigrations offices.
17. Picture of all the company's employees at work
18. Picture of all company's employees in front of the office with clear name of the company showing

N.B. In case of necessity , documents No.7 , 8 , 9 , and 10 can be substituted by the company letters stating its reason.

The stack of paperwork to apply for my extension of stay based on working is about 4-6cm thick. There are a lot of things that need to be pulled together, and immigration can be quite picky about small details. If I recall correctly, the main thing required for my initial non-B with was a letter from the Ministry of Labor showing intent to approve a work permit. So, yes, there is a big difference in the work in preparing the documentation for a visa compared to extension of stay. Maybe its not worth 28k THB, but at the same time, given that the lawyer would need to prepare all the documentation for just one application (yours), its not inherently unreasonable (I am assuming this is the case because they only now found out it costs 30k). The only way the company would know for sure is to shop around for another lawyer.

The basic question is whether you meet all requirements for an extension of stay for the reason of employment, including the specified minimum salary for your nationality.

Yes I do.

Sounds as though the company would be well advised to seek a new lawyer.

The paperwork for a visa is virtually the same as that required for an extension. Seems the 'lawyer' is having a laugh !

Highlighted in red above is not correct - Immigration require much more paperwork than a Thai Consular facility.

I my area of Phuket, Immigration currently require 28 different categories of paperwork to satisfy the criteriae they set for this particular class of extension..

Costs are however purely met in producing paperwork - the actual application only costs 1,900 THB - it's up to the OP/Employer to gauge if these cost are reasonable since if one can prepare the paperwork one self the cost is only 1,900 THB plus photocopying, combined with a trip or two to immigration.

From my personal experience, there is no way I would do this extension on my own. Not at this time.

I just did my renewal, and OMG. These people have lost their minds. It is so bad now, that despite an agent doing all of the documents, including the photos required, they came back two weeks later and said that they needed a photo of the office front door, with the company sign visible, looking through the door, and being able to see me with other employees. Really? My company has existed for 8 years. Same office for 6 years. And somehow they are suspicious that the office they approved last year is somehow different this year and requires a special photo. The word "straightforward" has been dropped from the vernacular.

While I sat at immigration, watching the officer review over 50 pages of documents (do you really want to try to get all those together and not miss one?), I listened to the guy behind me talk to the officer about how this was his third attempt at his extension!

The 30K price is not outrageous, however, I got mine done for 15K. The firm I use it one of the best I have found, and I have tried several.

Ask for Suchada at Chamnankij Law and Accounting