Thai wife USA visa

I have viewed the US Embassy website and I can't find any information relating to the requirements for a visa for a Thai lady married to an American. I understand the DS-160 form has to be completed online with a photo. I understand the appointment process. Has anyone gone through this process and can share the requirements? Any assistance would be appreciated.

There's no check list per se that would entitle a Thai wife a visa. What type of visa are you looking for ....tourist visa? Longer Term?

That being said, US immigration in giving a tourist visa looks at things which will prompt her return to Thailand. Property ownership; money in the bank; children in school; employment; passport showing she traveled and returned before ....anywhere... etc.

good luck

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

There's no check list per se that would entitle a Thai wife a visa. What type of visa are you looking for ....tourist visa? Longer Term?

That being said, US immigration in giving a tourist visa looks at things which will prompt her return to Thailand. Property ownership; money in the bank; children in school; employment; passport showing she traveled and returned before ....anywhere... etc.

good luck

Thanks for the reply. It would be a tourist visa. She has traveled all over SE Asia, Australia and Afghanistan.

The requirement is the same as anyone else asking for a visa for short term tourist reasons - you must provide a balance of proof that you will return to Thailand after the visit and not overstay. Being married to an American works against that as the first thought will be the tourist visa is an attempt to short-cut the normal immigrant visa waiting process. So make sure she has proof of husbands commitment to remain overseas to counter that perception. And the normal property/job/family ties to Thailand. Have specific plans for visit and dates available.

The requirement is the same as anyone else asking for a visa for short term tourist reasons - you must provide a balance of proof that you will return to Thailand after the visit and not overstay. Being married to an American works against that as the first thought will be the tourist visa is an attempt to short-cut the normal immigrant visa waiting process. So make sure she has proof of husbands commitment to remain overseas to counter that perception. And the normal property/job/family ties to Thailand. Have specific plans for visit and dates available.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the normal immigrant visa waiting process. Can you elaborate?

Edited by Pimay1

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/iv_overview_howtoapply.html

The shortcut is that once in the USA and married an application to adjust status could be made without need to leave - so that is often done. If application has to be made through a US office believe normally takes about six months for approval before can apply for actual visa here in Thailand (but time varies). Believe Bangkok still has a shorter process if living as family in Thailand with application being done here and that may speed it up.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Kind of hard if you are already married. Believe it varies a bit but in general believe that normally has a bit shorter time to entry into USA - but then you have to get married and change so not always clear which is best.

• Like 1

I have had success in my dealings with William F. White. Worth the drive to Bangkok from Buriram. Very transparent fee schedule. His Thai language skills and communication with my Thai wife were crucial. Easy to find on the internet. His web site has plenty of current information.

Managing Director
Bangkok, Thailand

Admitted to practice:
Supreme Court of Missouri (USA)
U.S. Federal Courts: (8th Circuit ED/MO)

Authorized to represent in U.S. Immigration and Visa matters before USCIS and all other Federal agencies under 8 CFR 292.1

If you are married just follow the directions on the website. I got my Thai wife a 10year tourist visa 5 years ago (can spend up to 6 months per year in the US). I had to buy the fee ahead of time at a Thai Post Office, fill out the form, wait for it to be processed then made an appointment for the wife to be interviewed. There is a choice of whether she wants the interview in Thai or English. She has to go into the interview alone, you can not be in the room with her and if you do not have an appointment for something else you can not enter Citizen Services. I just made an appointment and showed the printout but never turned in the appointment slip at the counter. They will ask her why she wants to go to the US. Tell her NOT to say she wants to live there or go there to see if she wants to live there as they don't want wives going there on a wife visa and then trying to get a Green card once they are there. My wife told the interviewer she wanted to visit her husbands relatives. She also told them she owns a house in Thailand (true) and wants to live in Thailand close to her mother and father. I heard some wives got 5 year visas but mine got a 10 year visa. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Believe normal is 10 year visa - that is what my wife received but this was almost 20 years ago - she had gone through the immigrant visa clearance several years earlier but we decided to remain in Thailand so never applied for actual visa. I was in room and wife mentioned this early in interview and I was called to window and on showing INS clearance paper interview was over and she received tourist visa (as no better proof of not looking to change status than already being approved and not getting immigrant visa).