Thai Police to strictly enforce 10 traffic laws

webfact

I counted 5 listed items in the article above. What are the remaining laws they intend to enforce. And by the way, when will it become illegal to drive a motorcycle on a crowded sidewalk? Love to see that one!

The other 5 depends on how the police feel on that day.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe...if they get to keep the fines and the impounded bikes...But not if its too hot out or nightime ot raining....or a holiday....or almost a holiday......

'Thai Police to strictly enforce...' that's where I stopped reading, to be moved to the same garbage bin as all the 'crackdowns' a.s.o. we heard (but saw little) of, just another potential tool to shake money out of the citizens', and non-Thais', pockets, IMO. Thailand might have been, slowly but steadily, 'going up' more than a century ago, but in recent years it seems to go down the drain at v x v' speed. Very sad, but I've seen no-one with authority here putting its head on the block to try changing anything that might matter (for the better), som-nah-na then Thailand...? Hurts me to write it down, but as long as Thais don't want it for themselves...

Police have been asked to strictly enforce laws against 10 traffic crimes, which include; speeding, driving in the wrong direction, failing to obey traffic lights, driving without a license and driving under the influence of alcohol.

Great that they basically allow recreational stuff. Thumbs up !!! thumbsup.gif

so, who is going to ticket and arrest the police who are driving on the sidewalk or on the road the wrong way.

just another story for the land of scams for the police to demand more money!!!!

what a joke!!!!

guess the higher up police have not been happy with there share of money.

any of the police that patrol the streets are a joke!!! sit in an air conditioned box and push buttons for traffic lights.

try and find a police man at night, oh, i forgot they are at soi cowboy, nana and patpong with there hand out.

Police have been asked to strictly enforce laws against 10 traffic crimes, which include; speeding, driving in the wrong direction, failing to obey traffic lights, driving without a license and driving under the influence of alcohol.

They forgot to add:

Hacking up people with machetes.

Shooting people.

Throwing rocks in retaliation for being overtaken.

Forget for a moment that you are a foreigner.

Just be a fly on the wall.

Consider that these news articles (which we see written in English) are simply verbatim translations of articles originally written for Thais and are available in the local media.

As a fly on the wall do you see rabid discussion amongst Thais regarding these articles, proclamations etc;?

Do you see numerous Thais opinions being expressed in writing as you might see here in TV or certain national english newspapers?

I don't!

I can't get my best Thai friends to even state an opinion lasting more than 3 seconds..... and some of these people are educated professionals!

first thing - install cameras at traffic lights

well I used to stop at lights but motor bikes especially just keep flying past so I fell like I was a hazard stopped there waiting for lights to change, so now I just keep going too, and in Patong down the road I live the lights have been turned off for the last 2 weeks, they are just a waste of time for Thais, weather they're on or off, and no one mentions passing on the inside ? I guess that's a western thing, like actually stopping at pedestrian crossings for people..

Still and all I love living here, it's alive,,, you just have to keep your wits about you , or you won't be for long.. haha.

It's not like over regulated, over priced, over welfared, over lawed western countries..

gandalf12

I am not suggesting this is an excuse.

A senior police officer told me that they didn't enforce the licence rule against school kids for this exact reason.

The helmet rule us another, it is enforced some days and ignored most other days

A senior police officer told me that they didn't enforce the licence rule against school kids for this exact reason.

Thailand is not a poor country anymore you would think! that they would be able to arrange proper transportation for schoolkids then they could enforce the law laugh.png

Presently if they don't have their own transportation they have to pile onto a baht bus with 30 or 40 other kids (with no helmets!) doubtless safer letting them ride their motorbikes which will undoubtedly have been modified and have the nosiest exhaust known to man fitted. TIT

Motorcycle license age is 15. Hundreds of thousands of riders are aged as young as 8 to 15. Even many adults in country areas have no license. And why waste money on a helmet. They just borrow one when they need to go in the city....sometimes.

The trouble is that over so much of Thailand they are so poor that 200B to spend on a helmet is a lot of money even if it could save their life,, but with their belief that they come back again and again, forever, then why worry if you get killed ????? might come back with a better life next time.

That's the dumbest explanation I've ever heard. So apparently they can afford a 25,000-50,000 bike but can't even shell out 200 baht on a cheap helmet? How can they afford to eat?

Seriously if you can't afford a cheap plastic bucket you also can't afford a motorcycle. Either a 750 Baht Tesco bicycle with no gears or walking will have to do.

However, I suspect it's laziness rather than poverty that prevents people from buying helmets here.

Motorcycle license age is 15. Hundreds of thousands of riders are aged as young as 8 to 15. Even many adults in country areas have no license. And why waste money on a helmet. They just borrow one when they need to go in the city....sometimes.

The trouble is that over so much of Thailand they are so poor that 200B to spend on a helmet is a lot of money even if it could save their life,, but with their belief that they come back again and again, forever, then why worry if you get killed ????? might come back with a better life next time.

That's the dumbest explanation I've ever heard. So apparently they can afford a 25,000-50,000 bike but can't even shell out 200 baht on a cheap helmet? How can they afford to eat?

Seriously if you can't afford a cheap plastic bucket you also can't afford a motorcycle. Either a 750 Baht Tesco bicycle with no gears or walking will have to do.

However, I suspect it's laziness rather than poverty that prevents people from buying helmets here.

Actually Goanna is just about spot on. In Khao Sok National park for instance some Thai's are able to make a good living from the farangs. But the majority are poor, making 30 bht a kilo for rubber collection for instance. The scooter is their essential and only transport. Kids learn to use the family sidecar outfit (if their parents can afford one) soon as they can reach the controls and they will be using the family scooter soon as they can hold it up. There is no school bus alternative so kids use the only available transport to get to school.

Helmet use is not a case of money, they just do not see the point. This life experience is part of a greater journey, point of death already decided. What difference will a helmet make? And a cheap toy helmet from Tesco is not going to make much difference anyway.

hehe, yes you may be right, as they all seem to own the latest iPhone....

hehe, yes you may be right, as they all seem to own the latest iPhone....

but joking aside,, a lot of them up north are so poor, I visited a girls home up 80 km past UdonThauni and it was so basic,

I could hardly believe that was her home and some do starve if they were not lucky enough to have a sexy daughter that can come and work at Patong or Pattaya or a similer place.. so 200B is a lot of money to them.. and they may own a motor bike probably mostly owned by a bank and if not is probably 10 years old or more.. I have a friend here that just bought a motorbike for her home up north, all the cost of it was loaned from the bank...... !!!!