Are You Using .... Ie7 ... ?

Mumbo Jumbo

I'm sure there must be a number of bugs hidden somewhere. I have been using it for a week now and I personally enjoy the use of the feeds function. This can also be found in the previous and current edition of mozilla firefox. So if you are a firefox fan, you may also find most of the functionalities you are looking for including an Ad Filter.

Back to IE, it also has a phishing filter a well-organized tabbed browsing function. I'm not sure how many applications still do not support the use of IE 7. My company for example has still not fully decided to adopt IE7 because our current applications do not support its use - for some reason.

You could download it and demo its use. Microsoft has provided a way to uninstall it in case of any conflict with existing applications.

I've been using it for about a week now. It's ok, but I really don't use the tab browsing that much. When I used IE6, I could access Outlook Express at the top of the screen. The e-mail button is now missing so I have to minimize the screen to click on the mail icon on my desktop. Not sure that is a big deal though.

I did notice though some changes with my OE though. The anti virus software I use installed some useful things in OE when I was using IE6. IF I received an e-mail that I deemed as being spam, I could click on a "report as spam" button and I would never get that e-mail again. It would go directly in to a spam folder and later deleted. It no longer does that and the spam folder is gone. I can't say it is from installing IE7, but it happened at the same time, so there must be some conflicts.

It looks OK, though I personally prefer FireFox except for certain sites, which requires IE exclusively. IE7 is much better than the previous versions and I am sure that it must have more than 1,000 security vulnerabilities. I am also using WMA11 which is also very good.

My recommendation is that if you do not hate MS, unlike me, then go and use IE7 and WMA11.

:o

I had an unusual experience with it, or was it with IE 7? I was using IE 7 and thought it was an improvement from IE 6. It seemed to be working fine until my XP Pro decided to update. I got the message that XP Pro was updating IE. It took a long time and after the computer re-booted, IE 7 was gone and IE 6 was back on and running. I have since downloaded Firefox version 2 and have no desire to go back to IE.

Maybe I should add that I had replaced my hard drive and since my XP Pro disk is a couple of years old, XP Pro had to download a ton of updates.

I've been using it for about a week now. It's ok, but I really don't use the tab browsing that much. When I used IE6, I could access Outlook Express at the top of the screen. The e-mail button is now missing so I have to minimize the screen to click on the mail icon on my desktop. Not sure that is a big deal though.

I did notice though some changes with my OE though. The anti virus software I use installed some useful things in OE when I was using IE6. IF I received an e-mail that I deemed as being spam, I could click on a "report as spam" button and I would never get that e-mail again. It would go directly in to a spam folder and later deleted. It no longer does that and the spam folder is gone. I can't say it is from installing IE7, but it happened at the same time, so there must be some conflicts.

Jamie,

Have you tried Toolbars -> Customise-> read Mail and drag it onto the toolbar?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Dear Mumbo Jumbo,

I prefer IE7 to IE6 as Ilike the tabs - a firefox feature. Also prefer the layout of the toolbars now I am used to it

Am hoping the RSS feed will be helpful.

Am expecting problems though. I worry more and more about the way behemoths introduce security, and make it difficult for the user to control it - a bit like governments really?

I couldn't read a ZDnet article the other day.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Jamie, I use OE with anti-spam filters that came with the zone alarm security suite (za firewall with ca antivirus and anti=spyware and mailfrontier anti-spam along with other things) and installing IE 7 didn't change a thing. What happened to you?

I installed IE7 and then a few days later I got a message from my Windows Live One Care that told me that I should download some updates. After downloading the updates, my PC restarted and IE6 re-installed with IE7 nowwhere to be seen. Quite similar to Gary A's experience. Reinstalled IE7 but Live One Care is still telling me to update again but I'm ignoring it.

I tested it and was happy until.........

....I opened Outlook Web Access (webmail from Microsoft Exchange) and found out that IE7 simply dies when you try to send a new mail.

Two Microsoft products that do not work together........?

(Microsoft is looking into this, seems to be a S/MIME issue)

Jamie, I use OE with anti-spam filters that came with the zone alarm security suite (za firewall with ca antivirus and anti=spyware and mailfrontier anti-spam along with other things) and installing IE 7 didn't change a thing. What happened to you?

Higgy,

I am not sure what happened. I am using Trend Micro

Jamie, I hate having computer problems so I use a very simple philosophy, if it ain't broke it ain't getting fixed. I absolutely never use betas, and I was not in any hurry to update both IE and Firefox. I waited until the Microsoft Update web site downloaded and installed IE 7 for me, which was not that long ago, and I am still waiting for the Firefox auto-update to do it so I don't have their new version yet. I think the easy way for you to fix your problem should be for you to just reinstall your Trend Micro. I've had to reinstall ZA a couple of times in the past and it was just as easy as the first time. Just make sure you have your license key easily available just in case.

As far as my experience with IE 7, I like it and find it much faster than IE 6.

• 1 month later...

Although I generally use Firefox, I've dabled with the latest upgrade (about two weeks ago) to my IE, which is now IE7, and I must say, it's got a lot of the features that had initially driven me to firefox, and perhaps even improved them. It works smoothly.

The tab browsing is smooth as ice (and my system ain't great) and I particularly like the option of seeing all the tabs displayed as thumbnails. In some cases can be cool :o

So yeah, all good so far EXCEPT, this "enforced" yahoo sponsorship. I briefly got all these pop ups asking me to change my home page, and a yahoo toolbar installed without my consent.

Ok, I refused and I hid the Yahoo toolbar, so no probs, and no more bother, but that was the one complaint so far.

But for my thai visa browsing and general browsing, still using firefox.

I use the IE(7) more for audio visual interaction, cos it doesn't require me to install the plug ins.

It looks OK, though I personally prefer FireFox except for certain sites, which requires IE exclusively. IE7 is much better than the previous versions and I am sure that it must have more than 1,000 security vulnerabilities. I am also using WMA11 which is also very good.

My recommendation is that if you do not hate MS, unlike me, then go and use IE7 and WMA11.

Firefox is a ton better than IE7 though the latter is much improved. At best, I can't see any benefits to IE7.

I don't "hate" anybody, and I am using Windows XP which works fairly well.

But I do discourage use of IE7 and WMP as well as Outlook simply because you are placing yourself right inside the 99% target zone for hackers and virus authors.

I guess that there's a lot of people out there that don't know that anti virus software will not help you in an IE-based attack. If IE is attacked by a malicious website the first thing it will do is turn off your antivirus...

I have both IE 7 and Firefox installed. Both are capable and stable. No speed difference while browsing.

Firefox's Pros: You can install a free plugin to filter ads out.

Firefox's Cons:

Some sites are not displayed correctly and you can't access some internet banking sites (Bangkok Bank for instance).

It starts a little slow in old computers.

I figured it out more or less. One thing that drives me crazy is that the refresh button is to the right of the address bar while back and forward buttons to the left and there's no drag and drop feature for these buttons like in Opera.

Confuses me everytime I open IE.

It is not as strict with standards as Firefox - means people can keep designing shitty websites and get away with it as long as it looks ok in IE. In a strict mode, however, it's perfect.

Continuous installation errors on Sony Vaio (Xp Home SP2) back to IE6 and FireFox 2. Installed OK on HP ze4500 (Xp Home SP2) 3 weeks ago, I like the new features but does not load some of my 'Favorite' web sites (can't find them!!) where FireFox always does. Maybe some options need tweeking? FireFox remains my prefered Browser.

I seem to have installed IE7 unintentially through an automatic update. I only liked using IE for the Easy Print facility but of course this is not supported in IE7. How do I go back to IE6??
From my experience with Sony Vaio and several attempts to get it up and running I just uninstalled IE7 and IE6 reappeared?? I did not uninstall IE6 prior to attempting an IE7 installation over the top, something similar to your case if it was an automatic (unintential) update.