All travelers to US under Visa Waiver Program must now have an e-passport

As of April 1, 2016, all travelers must have an e-passport to use the VWP. An e-Passport, denoted by the symbol [see symbol at link given below] , is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. E-Passports are issued by the proper passport issuing authority and must meet international standards for securing and storing information corresponding to the passport and bearer.

-- https://www.dhs.gov/visa-waiver-program-requirements

Turns out that some travelers from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries (38 countries including many in the EU) holding valid passports have been refused entry to the US due to the above change in the entry requirements.

According to newspaper reports millions of Brits and an estimated 170.000 Irish passport holders are potentially affected by the change as they have older passports that lack the biometric chip (present in an e-passport) that is now required to enter the US under the VWP:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-passport-rule-brits-flying-7900303

This article has a good explanation of what to look for to determine if your passport is an e-passport (that is, contains the biometric chip):

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/visiting-the-us-irish-passportholders-face-an-important-new-rule-from-april-1-34584718.html

Basically, this change may affect people from VWP countries who have older passports that are not up to the standards of the e-passport (lacking the biometric chip). They will not be admitted to the US under the VWP unless they get new passports. Alternatively, they can use their old passports but must obtain a visa from a US consulate to visit the US.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

I am surprised and under the false assumption that biometric passports were mandatory since long.

I stumbled upon a thread where I read that UK citizens can apply for a new passport via snail mail to Bangkok with photo and a witness statement attached.

I was stunned as in Germany and Switzerland this is a thing of the past.

I am surprised and under the false assumption that biometric passports were mandatory since long.

I stumbled upon a thread where I read that UK citizens can apply for a new passport via snail mail to Bangkok with photo and a witness statement attached.

I was stunned as in Germany and Switzerland this is a thing of the past.

A UK passport is still classed as a biometric passport.

Often referred to as an E passport or digital passport,it carries the symbol irrespective of how it is obtained and what information it holds.

Edited by stoneyboy

E-passports didn't really become available until 2006 and since many passports have a 10-year life span you can see where it is possible that some people still have the older non-biometric ones. Not really a problem until a country decides that it will only accept e-passports as the US has done with respect to its Visa Waiver Program.

I can't find a country that offered an e-passport before 2006. It took some countries longer to switch over to the e-passport. Here's a listing of when countries began issuing the e-passport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport#Countries_using_biometric_passports

I assume that all passports issued within the last couple of years or before have this chip.

Generally true, but you can check this list of countries to be sure in a specific case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport#Countries_using_biometric_passports

Seems like a lot of countries started issuing e-passports in 2006 (although Thailand was a leader starting in 2005) and then most of the remaining countries followed along in the next few years.

This problem will sort of fix itself by the end of the year as people who have the old non-biometric (non-e) passports will find them expiring and when they get a new passport it will satisfy the requirements. There's this period of a few months during which people with rather old passports (9+ years old) might be caught out. Articles claim a couple million Brits may be affected and a couple hundred thousand Irish among others. To be affected however, you need to want to visit the US under the Visa Waiver Program. If you get a visa from a US consulate you're good to go regardless of whether you have an e-passport or not.