Lecturers demand UN to investigate NCPO’s alleged human rights violations

webfact

The United Nations' human rights council is headed by Saudi Arabia - one of the world's few remaining absolute monarchies where under a strict interpretation of sharia law executions have recently reached their highest level in two decades. 82 people have been executed there in the first three months of 2016 alone. By comparison: 157 people were executed in 2015, a further increase from 90 people in 2014. The majority of executions are carried out by beheading:

A public beheading will typically take place around 9am. The convicted person is walked into the square and kneels in front of the executioner. The executioner uses a sword known as a sulthan to remove the condemned person's head from his or her body at the neck. Sometimes it may take several strikes before victim is decapitated.[8] After the convicted person is pronounced dead, a loudspeaker announces the crimes committed by the beheaded alleged criminal and the process is complete. This is the most common method of execution in Saudi Arabia because it is specifically called for by Sharia Law. Professional executioners behead as many as ten people in a single day. The severed head is usually sewn back on,[9] and sometimes put on crucifixes for public display.

post-244671-0-99860200-1462515858_thumb.

Other methods include death by firing squad and public stoning in cases of adultery. Besides violent crimes such as murder and rape the death penalty is also applied in cases of adultery, being gay, renouncing Islam and drug trafficking. Foreign nationals have been executed, as well as those who were minors at the time of their crime (which is, ironically, a practice that is prohibited by international law under the U.N. Convention on the rights of the Child).

As bad as Saudi Arabia sounds they cannot hold a candle to China where information about the death penalty is a state secret. Amnesty International believes that China executes more people than the rest of the world combined.

Iran has executed more than 1000 people in 2015 alone, according to UK based human rights group Reprieve.

Iran and China are both member states of the UN.

The United Nations is an organization that claims to protect human rights and campaigns to end violence against women while at the same time acceping into their ranks and bestowing key positions to the very nations that lack any kind of transparency and continue to commit the very same crimes against humanity that the organization claims to condemn. I have serious doubts that any UN-based investigation into human rights violations in Thailand would amount to anything but a complete farce. For the investigation to come up with any incriminating evidence would be complete hypocrisy. It would open the door to investigations into things like China's illegal invasion and annexation of Tibet (amongst the myriad of China's crimes against humanity), Iran's opression of women and Saudi Arabia's penchant for mutilating children and mentally ill prisoners. China has too much influence and Saudi Arabia has too much oil to make sure that this investigation never goes anywhere or exposes anything.

Idiots, don't they realise they are in a whole pile of excrement. Going to the U.N and tarnishing the Junta's and Thailand's image could see these six locked away for many years. Try complaining to the U.N from a dungeon or grave.

Comment sounds as though somebody has head in sand syndrome.

.....the question is.....1) did they act on their own volition....or........2) did someone put them up to it.....

....I would vote ....the second one.....

Cause Thai people are too stupid to get upset with the current situation??

I think you are paid by Suthep to comment here...it sounds as true as your statement

IMHO, it should be their good right to express themselves in this way, ...providing they have been weighing precisely the plus and the minus points from such a move, not so much for themselves but for the whole population of Thailand... What I am not at all sure of.

Weird anyway we have not seen these intellectuals deploying the same level of activity during the years of Thaksin (&Co.) regime, while it didn't seem any more 'democratic' than the present to me ('Democracy is not my goal' and other oneliners of the same caliber by 'the man'), could it be that the thousands of extra-judicial killings of the so-called(!) 'war on drugs' and the massacres in the Deep South, which remain unforgettable dark pages of that era, happened too far away from these 'intellectuals'' 'ivory tower' for them to find it worth any action at the time. Maybe, after all, there is a 'hidden agenda' for their present actions, and when so...

Idiots, don't they realise they are in a whole pile of excrement. Going to the U.N and tarnishing the Junta's and Thailand's image could see these six locked away for many years. Try complaining to the U.N from a dungeon or grave.

I doubt they're idiots.

On the face of it they seem like educated individuals who have serious concerns and are prepared to say something. I'm sure they are aware of the personal risk they are taking. There are people who care and whose 'attitudes' are not easily 'adjusted'. I hope their profiles work in their favour.

I also hope the consequences are not too severe for them... but someone's got to say something. Good for them.

I sincerely wish them luck and a fair outcome at the end of this scary transition away from a junta led nation.

The fact that they have already contacted the UN will give them some protection as now a lot of overseas eyes are on them. Not as easy for them to disappear if that was the intent when many organisations in the world are watching
Now lets see if the UN has any backbone or are really sitting on their tailbone as usual. They and other government agencies embassies included are becoming a standing joke.

They have been a standing joke for a long time

The United Nations' human rights council is headed by Saudi Arabia - one of the world's few remaining absolute monarchies where under a strict interpretation of sharia law executions have recently reached their highest level in two decades. 82 people have been executed there in the first three months of 2016 alone. By comparison: 157 people were executed in 2015, a further increase from 90 people in 2014. The majority of executions are carried out by beheading:

A public beheading will typically take place around 9am. The convicted person is walked into the square and kneels in front of the executioner. The executioner uses a sword known as a sulthan to remove the condemned person's head from his or her body at the neck. Sometimes it may take several strikes before victim is decapitated.[8] After the convicted person is pronounced dead, a loudspeaker announces the crimes committed by the beheaded alleged criminal and the process is complete. This is the most common method of execution in Saudi Arabia because it is specifically called for by Sharia Law. Professional executioners behead as many as ten people in a single day. The severed head is usually sewn back on,[9] and sometimes put on crucifixes for public display.

attachicon.gifsaudi.jpg

Other methods include death by firing squad and public stoning in cases of adultery. Besides violent crimes such as murder and rape the death penalty is also applied in cases of adultery, being gay, renouncing Islam and drug trafficking. Foreign nationals have been executed, as well as those who were minors at the time of their crime (which is, ironically, a practice that is prohibited by international law under the U.N. Convention on the rights of the Child).

As bad as Saudi Arabia sounds they cannot hold a candle to China where information about the death penalty is a state secret. Amnesty International believes that China executes more people than the rest of the world combined.

Iran has executed more than 1000 people in 2015 alone, according to UK based human rights group Reprieve.

Iran and China are both member states of the UN.

The United Nations is an organization that claims to protect human rights and campaigns to end violence against women while at the same time acceping into their ranks and bestowing key positions to the very nations that lack any kind of transparency and continue to commit the very same crimes against humanity that the organization claims to condemn. I have serious doubts that any UN-based investigation into human rights violations in Thailand would amount to anything but a complete farce. For the investigation to come up with any incriminating evidence would be complete hypocrisy. It would open the door to investigations into things like China's illegal invasion and annexation of Tibet (amongst the myriad of China's crimes against humanity), Iran's opression of women and Saudi Arabia's penchant for mutilating children and mentally ill prisoners. China has too much influence and Saudi Arabia has too much oil to make sure that this investigation never goes anywhere or exposes anything.

In Saudi firing squad is reserved for members of the Saudi Kings family and stoning is restricted to women who have been found of adultery

academic group met with a representative of the UNOHTHR

This meeting is very telling from a different aspect.

The group did not bother to meet with the Thailand National Human Rights Commission.

Currently, the UN is considering the decertification of the TNHRC due to its ineffective investigations of alleged human rights violations and lack of success to cause the prosecution of human rights violations. The TNHRC is now under direct junta control vis a vis The Ombudsman Office. Unlike previous regimes, the THNRC is effectively no longer an Independent Organization. On the other hand UNOHTR has worked cooperatively with the HRC in the other ASEAN countries.

Decertification of the TNHRC would be a positive development. It would be a formal recognition by the UNOHTHR that violation of human rights in Thailand is out of control. That might lead to further joint UN resolutions that could become troubling for the junta regime. And of course place a large question as to the validity of Thailand's current application to the UN Security Council.

Don't see or hear much global intervention .... could be all behind the scenes diplomacy stuff going on. Anyone got any good sources of strong active voicing and lobbying evidence of the international community, like the UN?

More likely to come through insidious opportunism, the way that communism and muslim extremism gain favor among oppressed populations.

"AA" for all of them, How dare they voice an opinion not sanctioned by me, Who do they think they are? free people in a free country???

Now if they had red bowls I could gaol em for 10 years, or if they were reporters I could have em executedbah.gif

I'm wait for another poll claiming 99.7% approval much like after bashings and scams and then a story of a taxi returning 500,000 baht to a customer.

555555. This is like the weekly news cycle.

Let's see... would the Thai academics here be complaining to the same UNHRC folks in Thailand who managed to stand around with their hands in their pockets while the Chinese dissident guy, who had an asylum request pending, was somewhat mysteriously deported back to China???

Good luck in pinning their hopes for relief or reform on those folks.

IMHO, it should be their good right to express themselves in this way, ...providing they have been weighing precisely the plus and the minus points from such a move, not so much for themselves but for the whole population of Thailand... What I am not at all sure of.

Weird anyway we have not seen these intellectuals deploying the same level of activity during the years of Thaksin (&Co.) regime, while it didn't seem any more 'democratic' than the present to me ('Democracy is not my goal' and other oneliners of the same caliber by 'the man'), could it be that the thousands of extra-judicial killings of the so-called(!) 'war on drugs' and the massacres in the Deep South, which remain unforgettable dark pages of that era, happened too far away from these 'intellectuals'' 'ivory tower' for them to find it worth any action at the time. Maybe, after all, there is a 'hidden agenda' for their present actions, and when so...

The same way the the Junta weighed up what was good for the whole country back in May 2014, or did they just weigh up what was good for them, and their backers, and those who backed them? pot kettle black with a lot of your post.

Let's see... would the Thai academics here be complaining to the same UNHRC folks in Thailand who managed to stand around with their hands in their pockets while the Chinese dissident guy, who had an asylum request pending, was somewhat mysteriously deported back to China???

Good luck in pinning their hopes for relief or reform on those folks.

nope. The academics did not go to the (worthless, packed with junta lackeys) Thai Human Rights Commission.

.....the question is.....1) did they act on their own volition....or........2) did someone put them up to it.....

....I would vote ....the second one.....

Cause Thai people are too stupid to get upset with the current situation??

I think you are paid by Suthep to comment here...it sounds as true as your statement

And I suppose you like Thaksin corrupt money for think this.....

Hmm, so you are claiming that Thaksin and Samak and Yingluck came to power on anything diffferent than an electoral mandate ? The war on drugs received explicit and implicit approval of the very same people pulling the strings now. Of course this all happened over 10 years ago, so whilst I personally think that war to be very wrong, it didn't target the whole population and people were not rounded up for having an opinion.

This is the key issue, ordinairy people are currently being arrested for stating an opinion not in line with the Junta's. Attitude adjustment sessions being awarded to people speaking out against the Junta, and they just took it one step further, where one individual is now facing LM charges for receiving and reading a personal message on Facebook !

Pretty sure such antics weren't deployed duing the Thaksin years.

The same way the the Junta weighed up what was good for the whole country back in May 2014, or did they just weigh up what was good for them, and their backers, and those who backed them? pot kettle black with a lot of your post.

'Holy Cinema': any reaction linked to what I wrote in my post will be welcome...

Hmm, so you are claiming that Thaksin and Samak and Yingluck came to power on anything diffferent than an electoral mandate ? The war on drugs received explicit and implicit approval of the very same people pulling the strings now. Of course this all happened over 10 years ago, so whilst I personally think that war to be very wrong, it didn't target the whole population and people were not rounded up for having an opinion.

This is the key issue, ordinairy people are currently being arrested for stating an opinion not in line with the Junta's. Attitude adjustment sessions being awarded to people speaking out against the Junta, and they just took it one step further, where one individual is now facing LM charges for receiving and reading a personal message on Facebook !

'sjaak327': as if elections would be a guarantee for 'democracy', as indeed Thaksin and his puppets Samak and Yingluck have been proving it's not so at all, I don't see your point, the more so while my interest here goes to what has happened during the years of Thaksin regime compared to the last two years for what 'democratic content' is concerned. The antics deployed during the Thaksin years speak for themselves, badly, I mean. Arresting people is one thing, having them killed is a lot worse, in my book... Anyway, for sure it would be better when ordinary, and less ordinary, people would be able to adjust their attitude by themself and avoid excessive behaviour, and come out with a (well balanced and nuanced) opinion (which would really be) of their own (instead of being tools of orchestrated agit-propaganda campaigns), wouldn't you think so...?

'sjaak327': as if elections would be a guarantee for 'democracy', as indeed Thaksin and his puppets Samak and Yingluck have been proving it's not so at all, I don't see your point, the more so while my interest here goes to what has happened during the years of Thaksin regime compared to the last two years for what 'democratic content' is concerned. The antics deployed during the Thaksin years speak for themselves, badly, I mean. Arresting people is one thing, having them killed is a lot worse, in my book... Anyway, for sure it would be better when ordinary, and less ordinary, people would be able to adjust their attitude by themself and avoid excessive behaviour, and come out with a (well balanced and nuanced) opinion (which would really be) of their own (instead of being tools of orchestrated agit-propaganda campaigns), wouldn't you think so...?

You and some of the Junta fans continue to miss a few vital points when democracy is concerned. All three governments concerned have had people banned from politics, or removed from office because rules and regulations where broken or ignored.

At no time did any of those governments operate under an undisclosed term and none of those governments operated under a self drafted constitution with god like article 44 powers. Furthermore the Thai electorate would be able to ensure there wouldn't be a second term if they so desired.

I do believe that many people have already voiced a well balanced and nuanced opinion about for instance the draft charter, unfortunately such opinion can land you in a world of trouble.

Suggesting that people voicing such opinions are PT propagandist is of course completely false, unless you believe that say Abhisit is suddenly in the PT camp.

Thailand signed the treaty of universal human rights, but despite this, one of the rights enshrined is not being respected.

By the way, not so long ago the regime seemed to have lost a few LM suspects, bodies cremated, people are most certainly dying.

Finally allow me to voice a well balanced, nuanced and short opinion about the draft: it does not return Thailand to democracy, vote no.

Hmm, could this post land me in jail for ten years I wonder ?

Edited by sjaak327