London may elect first Muslim mayor, after ugly, 'dog-whistling' campaign

webfact

London may elect first Muslim mayor, after ugly, 'dog-whistling' campaign
By Tim Hume, CNN

London (CNN)Londoners will find out Friday if they have elected the first Muslim mayor of any major Western city, after an unusually bitter campaign in which race and religion have proven ugly flashpoints.

The race between Labour's Sadiq Khan, son of a bus driver, and Conservative candidate Zac Goldsmith, son of a billionaire, has seen the latter accused of peddling "vile race politics" in his campaign against his rival.

Khan, a 45-year-old lawyer and member of Parliament, is the London-born son of Pakistani immigrants, and a practicing Muslim in a city where his co-religionists comprise about 12% of the population.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2016/05/05/europe/uk-london-mayoral-race/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-05-06

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd rather vote in some millionaire Etonian who clearly couldn't give a toss about the interests of normal folk, because Muslims are scary?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Boris was also the descendant of Muslims and an apologist for Islam who believes, or did, that Turkey should be in the EU

The attitude of most Muslims is embarassing

You won't find any of those prejudices in London area's like Kensington, Chelsea or Nothing Hill.

The Christian, Jewish and Muslim community lives very peaceful over there...

Reminds me another controversial European mayor of Rotterdam, Aboutaleb, from Morocco, and Muslim too. He was known to be very harsh towards his own people under the moto : accept the norms or leave.

Edited by Thorgal

The Labour party has been severely embroiled with ugly anti-Semite and racial slurs against Jews

and Israel, so much so that as many as 50 members of the party, some in high positions have been

either reprimanded or expelled... a shame on a party that racial comments and ugly slurs is it's platform...

I saw the headline and exactly knew, what would be the first responses here!

You islamophob right wingers understand, that he will be the MAYOR of London...not the EMPEROR of London, right?!

Well...probably you don't, so let me explain: no matter what faith he belongs to (Christianity, Islam, if he is a Jew or an Atheist or even a Pastafarian) he is bound to the constitution and to rules and laws!

As sure as a Christian mayor can not turn London into a Christian- city, so can no Muslim- major impose Sharia law!

Got it?

You islamophob right wingers understand, that he will be the MAYOR of London...not the EMPEROR of London, right?!

Well...probably you don't, so let me explain: no matter what faith he belongs to (Christianity, Islam, if he is a Jew or an Atheist or even a Pastafarian) he is bound to the constitution and to rules and laws!

As sure as a Christian mayor can not turn London into a Christian- city, so can no Muslim- major impose Sharia law!

Got it?

Yet.......whistling.gif

What size must a city be before it is classed as a MAJOR western city ???

Quote from link :

"Until recently, there was no harmonised definition of ‘a city’ for European and other countries member of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). This undermined the comparability, and thus also the credibility, of cross-country analysis of cities. To resolve this problem, the OECD and the European Commission developed a new definition of a city and its commuting zone in 2011."

http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docgener/focus/2012_01_city.pdf

What size must a city be before it is classed as a MAJOR western city ???

Quote from link :

"Until recently, there was no harmonised definition of ‘a city’ for European and other countries member of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). This undermined the comparability, and thus also the credibility, of cross-country analysis of cities. To resolve this problem, the OECD and the European Commission developed a new definition of a city and its commuting zone in 2011."

http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docgener/focus/2012_01_city.pdf

if major means global then europe only has two!

Got it?

Yep here is another extremist who took over a major European city and set up his own caliphate etc.
The Moroccan-born mayor of Rotterdam shocked a live television audience by telling Muslims who have a problem with Western culture to “pack their bags” and “f--- off.” The Muslim Labour politician Ahmed Aboutaleb made the remarks during an interview with a Dutch news program about the deadly attacks on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and is known for his tough stance on Muslim integration in Europe.
I gather the UK has been electing Muslim politicians for some years now some good some bad some right wing some left wing just like any other group.

You'd rather vote in some millionaire Etonian who clearly couldn't give a toss about the interests of normal folk, because Muslims are scary?

Just another living example of how people in the world are so confused and anxious. In my humble opinion voters are showing their desperation.

I'd sooner see the best person voted into the role of Mayor of London. Not based on his skin color, his religious views, his racial ethnicity, or how much money his dad's got and where he went to school and university.

But this isn't being fought on that basis. We have Mr. Goldsmith of Jewish ethnicity representing the old established elite, of which Jewish immigrants did so well in joining, against Mr. Khan, a practicing Muslim, representing the revamped left wing Labor party who openly advocate the legitimacy of certain terrorist groups in their fight to destroy the one Jewish country.

That's how the political activists, media, and lobbyists have positioned it. One hoping to cash in on the Muslim and left wing vote; the other on the anti Muslim and right wing vote.

What is shocking is to see British politics being polarized in this way.

Got it?

Yes very true DM07,but on the flip side to your statement, doesn't the mayor have the powers that be to authorise major construction projects in and around the city of London, and therefore have the power to be bias towards his own people if he so wishes.

EG: Maybe more mosques to be built ?

Maybe more muslim schools to be opened ?

Maybe more muslim community centres ?

Maybe more muslim influence in to the community?

You get the picture now!

Got it?

Yes very true DM07,but on the flip side to your statement, doesn't the mayor have the powers that be to authorise major construction projects in and around the city of London, and therefore have the power to be bias towards his own people if he so wishes.

EG: Maybe more mosques to be built ?

Maybe more muslim schools to be opened ?

Maybe more muslim community centres ?

Maybe more muslim influence in to the community?

You get the picture now!

Yeah...well...no!

Mainly because I assume (I am no Londoner, so I don't know the London -ways of governing), he also can't do that, going all solo!

So...any better points?