Laos - Vientiane 16 May (could use some tips)

Hi

In another thread I've gotten some information about getting a tourist visa in Laos. So I'm flying directly from BKK with Thai Airways to Vientiane and ill be arriving around midday. Im arriving May 16, embassy 17, pick up passport 18 and late night flight back to Thaialnd.

• Can someone recommend a hotel? I guess it's better to stay where there is something to do, instead of staying near the embassy.
  • Arriving at embassy one hour before opening, will that be on time? I have some problems with my legs and cannot stand around for hours.
  • Do I need bank information and flight information out of Thailand?
  • Visa on arrival for Laos paid in cash USD? Im dutch so I guess 35 USD

Any other information people like to share would be appreciated. It's nice to hear from people who recently done the trip themselves and have don't the legwork without a fixer/agent.

tnx

• Like 1

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but am I the only one who is charged 1,350 baht at the border when paying in baht, and not 1,500? This has been the case the three times I've crossed the border at Nong Khai – I always pay 2,000 baht and always get 650 baht back. Does it perhaps have anything to do with nationality (Swedish)?

If you decide to stay close to the embassy anyway, Lao Golden is an alright place. Rooms are decent, Wifi actually works and the breakfast buffé is edible. I believe it's usually 1,200 baht per night. Not much to do around there at night, but the restaurant is decent and the place right across from the embassy building has good food and beer. Takes less than five minutes to walk to the embassy.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but am I the only one who is charged 1,350 baht at the border when paying in baht, and not 1,500? This has been the case the three times I've crossed the border at Nong Khai – I always pay 2,000 baht and always get 650 baht back. Does it perhaps have anything to do with nationality (Swedish)?

If you decide to stay close to the embassy anyway, Lao Golden is an alright place. Rooms are decent, Wifi actually works and the breakfast buffé is edible. I believe it's usually 1,200 baht per night. Not much to do around there at night, but the restaurant is decent and the place right across from the embassy building has good food and beer. Takes less than five minutes to walk to the embassy.

The fee for Sweden is only $31.

Everyone has to decide on it's own, but I personally don't go an hour ahead of opening time. I did it the first time, and there was already 30-40 people in line. 2 months ago I'll arrived a bit after 11am and was out very quickly, well in fact I sat a while around, because I didn't know the two guys checking all the paperwork, transfer it to the consulate for you. If you come after 11:30am you'll be denied, as I witnessed that two.

I stay usually at least 4-5 days in Vientianne, so even if I show up too late, I'll just go the next day.

Quite a few people go inside, pick their number and having breakfast / coffee in the restaurant accross the street, nowadays you get even coffee within the consulate compound.

Yeah, but I'm paying in baht. I've seen it written many times that if you pay in baht you'll have to pay 1,500.

Everyone has to decide on it's own, but I personally don't go an hour ahead of opening time. I did it the first time, and there was already 30-40 people in line. 2 months ago I'll arrived a bit after 11am and was out very quickly, well in fact I sat a while around, because I didn't know the two guys checking all the paperwork, transfer it to the consulate for you. If you come after 11:30am you'll be denied, as I witnessed that two.

I stay usually at least 4-5 days in Vientianne, so even if I show up too late, I'll just go the next day.

Quite a few people go inside, pick their number and having breakfast / coffee in the restaurant accross the street, nowadays you get even coffee within the consulate compound.

Thanks to everyone responding.

So you are saying that many people go early mornings, but to avoid the crowed 11pm is best? In other words, most people are already done. What do you mean about the two guys and paperwork? I have a strict schedule because my ticket might not be easily changed and certainly not cheap.

Anyone else have this experience, coming later I mean?

• Like 1

So you are saying that many people go early mornings, but to avoid the crowed 11pm is best? In other words, most people are already done. What do you mean about the two guys and paperwork? I have a strict schedule because my ticket might not be easily changed and certainly not cheap.

I had many visa from Vientiane in the past and never went before 10:30 am and rarely had to queue. As long as you get a ticket before the gates close you'll get served. Avoid going on Monday and Thursday as they are the days the Bangkok visa run services go. Friday is probably the quietist day but you will need to wait until the Monday to collect the passport. If you can't stay over the weekend and want next day service you should go on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I just came back from Vientiane and followed the advice from post #6 (Many, many thanks to paulbj2 !)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913615-application-form-in-vientiane-requires-names-of-2-guarantors-what-do-i-put/?p=10693273

Do not start to queue at the entrance! Pass the queue and enter the building on the left. Then follow post #6 /paulbj2.

(When I was there, many people filled out the form themselves, hoping to speed up the process. But this was not accepted. Every application was in fact written by the girls behind the table. Only agents known to them got the stamp for their pre-filled forms.)

• Like 1

(When I was there, many people filled out the form themselves, hoping to speed up the process. But this was not accepted. Every application was in fact written by the girls behind the table. Only agents known to them got the stamp for their pre-filled forms.)

I had my forms printed at home and they were always accepted so far, so unless they started that within the last two months, I can tell you it's not the case, at least not for TV

Edited by jethro69

I had my forms printed at home and they were always accepted so far, so unless they started that within the last two months, I can tell you it's not the case, at least not for TV

My remark (blank form/ "girls behind the table") refers - only - to the process described in post by paulbj2 (link in original post above).

If you use the queue starting at the gate, you write your application yourself or prepare it at home, as usual.

Edited by jcnx

I live in Vientiane and have an American friend who told me that he has to fill out an online form prior to going to the US Embassy. I'm not sure if that is for every instance but you should check it out.

Stay in town. There are lots of nice hotels there, including a Best Western. They all are around $20-25 a night and have Wifi. Most include a breakfast. The US Embassy is nowhere with nothing to do. Take a tuk-tuk in the morning. It won't cost much.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but am I the only one who is charged 1,350 baht at the border when paying in baht, and not 1,500? This has been the case the three times I've crossed the border at Nong Khai I always pay 2,000 baht and always get 650 baht back. Does it perhaps have anything to do with nationality (Swedish)?

Yeah, but I'm paying in baht. I've seen it written many times that if you pay in baht you'll have to pay 1,500.

No. It depends on your nationality too. For us, French people, for instance, it's currently 30 US dollars or 1300 baht during regular opening hours.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but am I the only one who is charged 1,350 baht at the border when paying in baht, and not 1,500? This has been the case the three times I've crossed the border at Nong Khai I always pay 2,000 baht and always get 650 baht back. Does it perhaps have anything to do with nationality (Swedish)?

No. It depends on your nationality too. For us, French people, for instance, it's currently 30 US dollars or 1300 baht during regular opening hours.

I arrive morning of the 17th and will be heading to the embassy for around 0900 , if you are stuck give me a shout very easy to do by your self 2 passport photos and fill the form in takes max 30 mins.Hotel, i stay at the i hotel which is next to the fountain very good at 700 bhat a night ,close to bars restraunts and a very good baker.

• Like 1

I just came back from Vientiane and followed the advice from post #6 (Many, many thanks to paulbj2 !)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913615-application-form-in-vientiane-requires-names-of-2-guarantors-what-do-i-put/?p=10693273

Do not start to queue at the entrance! Pass the queue and enter the building on the left. Then follow post #6 /paulbj2.

That's incorrect. I completed the form myself at the table in the building on the left where I took new pictures, while the girls were doing other people's forms. I believe they charge extra for them completing your form but I'm not sure. The only reason i had to take new pictures is because mine had blue background (from Chaengwatthana funny enough), and the rule is white background pictures, small size 3.5x4.5.

Pictures 80 baht, photocopies of passport and Lao visa page 20 baht.

Edited by lkv

@lkv

I start my remark with: "When I was there (..)"

You quote me and state: "That is incorrect. (..)"

Seriously?

I was there 2 weeks ago myself but yeah anyways. I understand where you're coming from.

Did you pay anything for them doing it for you inside?

Edited by lkv

@lkv

Seriously?

I was there 2 weeks ago myself but yeah anyways. I understand where you're coming from.

You pay them 50 Baht. There is a guy there who usually does the photpcopy machine and he asks you if you want to skip the queue then the girls fill in the form and you get taken to the women who collects the passports.

In and out in 10 minutes.

It's because you're from Sweden. As a Canadian, we pay 1800b for a Laos visa.

@lkv

Seriously?

You pay them 50 Baht. There is a guy there who usually does the photpcopy machine and he asks you if you want to skip the queue then the girls fill in the form and you get taken to the women who collects the passports.

In and out in 10 minutes.

Yeah it looks i saved 50 baht then lol, because while they were printing my 80 baht pictures i just took an application form from that table and completed it myself, then I photocopied the passport pages at the exit for 20 baht then I went to the yard at that table where the guy is taking the tourist visa applications and was also out immediately.

But it's also true that everybody else inside was having it done for them. I must have been the black sheep :)

Edited by lkv

It takes two minutes if you can read English done it myself last 3 times here , go into compound hang into the left building fill out forms take it to lady in the compound get your number 1000 bhat come back tomorrow after 1300 job done

• 2 weeks later...

OP, can you let me know how this goes for you? If you needed the bank statements, plane ticket out of TH, etc.? I'm fixing to do the same thing at the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

OP, can you let me know how this goes for you? If you needed the bank statements, plane ticket out of TH, etc.? I'm fixing to do the same thing at the end of the month.

Visa Form, 2 Photos, and as mentioned the copies of the passport.

Went again like 2 weeks ago, arrived around 11:00 am, despite a Thursday I was done in less than 5 min. The biggest deal was to find a working glue stick to put the photos on. whistling.gif

Indeed, there was much more traffic than on other days, but most was concentrated around the "tour group" window, so not of a concern for most here. I saw a few people around that other window too, no idea if they were asked to provide more evidence or maybe for other than TV. When I asked to get a queue number the guy quickly checked my application, and I was done.

• Like 1