Do you have an IQ of 150 or more ?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that was a rather easy test - don't need an IQ of 150 to solve it.

I am a member of MENSA (God know why - runs in my academic family). Had regular IQ tests over the years which put my IQ at about 156, which is pretty damn clever (apparently). Probably why I was a rocket scientist yonks ago.

However, I am a classic example of why being clever does not mean being sharp or smart. I'll let other forum members recount the sagas with all my ex-wives (and since a few years ago, I'm happily single biggrin.png )

Very easy example, anyone with basic intelligence should get that one -- but shouldn't there have been a question about it to answer for example:

23 + 5 = ????????

Many of us have doubts about the Thai education system.

Why not ask some average Thais to solve it?

I suggest using a fill in the blank or multiple choice example as above.

post-141778-0-61379200-1462626684_thumb.

This is Herman, i've known him all my adult life,

has no family now, lives alone, retired, had a

boring government clerk job all his life, very

kind hearted, would do anything for you, has

an IQ of 140 (so i'm told) can't tie his shoe laces,

has no sense of direction, gets lost going to the

bathroom, figured that quiz before i blinked.

You figure.

got it

6+4=10

150 iq sorted

thank you 18 years of state funded learning

minus 35 years of merlot, shiraz and beer

Beware the merlot. It's only a blender and should never be drunk by itself as it is corrosive to brain tissues.

Merlots are harmless unless angered. Never back a merlot into a corner, and never tackle one alone

got it

6+4=10

150 iq sorted

Beware the merlot. It's only a blender and should never be drunk by itself as it is corrosive to brain tissues.

Merlots are harmless unless angered. Never back a merlot into a corner, and never tackle one alone.

According to other sources, a merlot, drunk by itself, is a sad and pathetic figure. Perhaps it could be used in the conundrum at the top of the page

Edited by StreetCowboy

An electric train is travelling at 30 kph, however it has a 60kph tailwind.

Which way does the smoke blow?

steamsmoke.jpg

Which way would the smoke blow if there was no wind?

Edit: I'll go back and learn to read now

Edited by StreetCowboy

Now guys I never said my IQ is 150 according to the article in the newspaper

this is what has been said

People claim that anyone who understands the enigma has an IQ of 150, which is considered to be in the top one per cent of the population and ‘genius’ level

I am not one of them and never claimed to be

got it

6+4=10

150 iq sorted

Merlots are harmless unless angered. Never back a merlot into a corner, and never tackle one alone.

According to other sources, a merlot, drunk by itself, is a sad and pathetic figure. Perhaps it could be used in the conundrum at the top of the page

nope cowboy, them thar merlots are bad, i used to have a decent iq of 111, now it is about $16 a bottle.

Are you guys realize this is a fun forum? so don't take every thing seriously

apart from the question ask first

The question was so simple it provided no more than a few seconds of diversion. We need something else to occupy us.

So and how come you never provided the answer ?sad.png

How come you never provided the question?

Solve this is meaningless.I could have stabbed it with a knife and solved it.

I saw that somewhere the other day ...maybe in the Daily Mail ...only took a few secs to suss it ... I certainly don't think it's a test of IQ at all

And saying "solve this." at least in the mathematical sense, is meaningless. Solve for what? You're actually asking what nontraditional, non-arithmetic operation does the + sign indicate and what does the "=" mean in this context.

Should probably have been set out as something like: x y Z and then ask what operation appears to be defined on the left and how is the result arranged on the right.

Apparently the rule is x y (x-y),(x+y) with the separator comma thrown in to avoid the implication that the bracketed terms are being multiplied and the operation would not be commutative.

Would get sort of messy if extended to allow x < y or to include surds, etc.

Exactly. But despite that, it still takes anyone with half a brain less than a minute to figure out.

You have half a brain?

Explains many of your posts!!!biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I've seen this puzzle before and only needed a few seconds to work out how it was done. I'm not quite genius level but not far off with an IQ of 132, based on an IQ of 140 being required for membership of Mensa.

Alan

And still Brit man would look down on you as the 99.5% of people dumber than him.

I assumed definitely not that high and I'm sure people reading my posts here would assume the same. I've never taken a formal IQ test but I found a SAT to IQ converter that estimates my IQ to be about 134 when I took the test. By now, I'm sure it's much lower!

Actually your IQ does not vary much with age just maybe a couple of points.

If you say so. I certainly don't feel as smart as when I was a young Turk.

You certainly are losing JT...when you were young you were a Jew...not likely to be a Turk back then. Definitely not today.

I assumed definitely not that high and I'm sure people reading my posts here would assume the same. I've never taken a formal IQ test but I found a SAT to IQ converter that estimates my IQ to be about 134 when I took the test. By now, I'm sure it's much lower!

Actually your IQ does not vary much with age just maybe a couple of points.

If you say so. I certainly don't feel as smart as when I was a young Turk.

You certainly are losing JT...when you were young you were a Jew...not likely to be a Turk back then. Definitely not today.

Never heard of a Turkish Jew?

Never heard of a Turkish Jew?

Fair enough, but never a Jewish Turk

Easy

First row minus second row.= first digit

Sum first and and write it full out = following digits.

And no.. not 150 iq.. just between 120-135 depending on the test

Yes the official number is 150 and it is called a genius

well mine is only 135 sick.gif

mine was 147 when I last took a test. Solved that problem instantly, not a real test

Too easy, "whatsproblem", but for forms sake: ask the brother what the other brother would say, the opposite is true. I don't think IQ means much unless it's very low or incredibly high. Incidentally, the two incredibly high cases I've read about, after an early blossoming, both ended tragically, with severe mental problems. Cetainly, membership of MENSA means little. I used to play chess with an ex-MENSA guy, and I'd beat him every time, and I would consider myself of average intelligence. Problems with IQ rating, as I understand it, are it only measures a particular kind of intelligence, the questions can be coached, it's heavily culturally biased, and, well, people cheat, especially on the self-administered ones, whether consciously or not.

I saw that somewhere the other day ...maybe in the Daily Mail ...only took a few secs to suss it ... I certainly don't think it's a test of IQ at all

And saying "solve this." at least in the mathematical sense, is meaningless. Solve for what? You're actually asking what nontraditional, non-arithmetic operation does the + sign indicate and what does the "=" mean in this context.

Should probably have been set out as something like: x y Z and then ask what operation appears to be defined on the left and how is the result arranged on the right.

Apparently the rule is x y (x-y),(x+y) with the separator comma thrown in to avoid the implication that the bracketed terms are being multiplied and the operation would not be commutative.

Would get sort of messy if extended to allow x < y or to include surds, etc.

Really suradit ...

when copying and pasting to make oneself appear better than one really is, one must really remember to keep fonts, font size and spacing between the lines consistent, only then you can maybe appear to know something that many others don't.

You have history of copying and pasting then forgetting to make it look like your own work giggle.gif

Oh the irony.

Here's a problem for you, a real intelligence test. If you know the answer already you're disqualified, if you google it your disqualified, try to do it from first principles. I lay three cards facedown on the table, one is a queen. I ask you to "find the lady". You choose one, and I take one false card away. I give you a second choice - you can stay or switch. Should you stay? Should you switch? Why? What are the odds? What's your reasoning?

Now guys I never said my IQ is 150 according to the article in the newspaper

this is what has been said

People claim that anyone who understands the enigma has an IQ of 150, which is considered to be in the top one per cent of the population and ‘genius’ level

I am not one of them and never claimed to be

And that's why you're drawing so much flack on this thread.

An IQ of 150 is genius level, whereas the original problem posted was simple to anyone with an average or slightly above average IQ.

Having said that, the thread opened with only the first line in view - and it took me a good few seconds to realise that there may be more than one line to solve the problem biggrin.png .

I gather that the difference between 140 odd and 150 IQ is vast - far greater than the difference between 100 and 140.

Somehow I know that nobody posting here is a genius laugh.png !