Windows 7 and 10 when checking updates

Speedo1968

Can someone with experience tell me if W10 is better than W7. I did the upgrade previously but with W10 my printer couldn't work so I went back to W7. If the free upgrade expires in July 2016, will W7 no longer have updates? Will it matter? Sorry, showing my ignorance here, but my brief encounter with W10 was not a happy one.

Extended support ends: January 14, 2020

Extended Support means that the OS only receives Critical Patches / Updates

http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-will-microsoft-pull-the-plug-on-your-version-of-windows-or-office/

here the MS Page

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Thanks. Very helpful.

Can someone with experience tell me if W10 is better than W7. I did the upgrade previously but with W10 my printer couldn't work so I went back to W7. If the free upgrade expires in July 2016, will W7 no longer have updates? Will it matter? Sorry, showing my ignorance here, but my brief encounter with W10 was not a happy one.

I think you downgraded too fast. The CD ( driver-outdated) that came with your printer might not work with Windows 10, but you can download the right driver and all is fine.

I've upgraded in July last year and did about 60 others. now when I'm using W 7, it seems like XP to me. Slowly and so different....

Windows did plenty of updates when it turned out that too many customers were not happy and you receive these updates without even knowing it.

I spoke to an Irish guy who told me that W 10 would be so bad and that he would ever do the upgrade. When I was asking him what operating system he'd have, he answered Google.

Similar to politicians, they talk about things they have no idea about.

Yes, I think that was the problem, but I couldn't find a suitable driver download, so it just seemed easier to go back to W7. I'm trying again tomorrow, and if the printer works I will give it a whirl, otherwise it will be back to the drawing board.

I think you downgraded too fast. The CD ( driver-outdated) that came with your printer might not work with Windows 10, but you can download the right driver and all is fine.

I've upgraded in July last year and did about 60 others. now when I'm using W 7, it seems like XP to me. Slowly and so different....

Windows did plenty of updates when it turned out that too many customers were not happy and you receive these updates without even knowing it.

I spoke to an Irish guy who told me that W 10 would be so bad and that he would ever do the upgrade. When I was asking him what operating system he'd have, he answered Google.

Similar to politicians, they talk about things they have no idea about.

Yes, I think that was the problem, but I couldn't find a suitable driver download, so it just seemed easier to go back to W7. I'm trying again tomorrow, and if the printer works I will give it a whirl, otherwise it will be back to the drawing board.

What printer do you use, can have a look if there is a driver for Win10 (or an issue).

Thanks again for your help. Grateful if you let me know come up with anything. No, I have not tried a generic driver AFAIK, but I fiddled around endlessly to get a driver that worked, so I may have done so. I think I'll stave off the scheduled upgrade again.

Speedo1968, did you do a driver update for your printer after the upgrade to Win 10?

HP took one year to produce any updates and yes I have updated all that is available.

Looks like I confused you. I haven't upgraded to W10 am staying with W7. I did have the W10 forced download but I have not installed it. The issue of margins is with W7 can't say for W8 or 8.1.

The engineers at HP in KK tried different makes of laptop and different Windows, spending 4 hours of testing - they "could" only conclude of course that it was a Windows problem not a printer problem,

Never had this margin issue with other printers or makes of laptop.

My old Toshiba had W7 2013 and no problems with margins; if i bring up an old word doc from W7 2013, even if its on my new laptop there are no problems with the margins.

I think the printer is trying to be "too clever" not like the older printers where they did what "you" wanted to do. What you typed on the screen or saw in the print preview is what was what the printer printed.

The old Epsom printers had problems with the drive spindle, this HP has a major generic fault with the print head - my advice is not to buy this machine. My earlier HP printer lasted 10 years, never broke down, and was quieter.

Hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Speedo1968, did you do a driver update for your printer after the upgrade to Win 10?

HP took one year to produce any updates and yes I have updated all that is available.

Looks like I confused you. I haven't upgraded to W10 am staying with W7. I did have the W10 forced download but I have not installed it. The issue of margins is with W7 can't say for W8 or 8.1.

The engineers at HP in KK tried different makes of laptop and different Windows, spending 4 hours of testing - they "could" only conclude of course that it was a Windows problem not a printer problem,

Never had this margin issue with other printers or makes of laptop.

My old Toshiba had W7 2013 and no problems with margins; if i bring up an old word doc from W7 2013, even if its on my new laptop there are no problems with the margins.

I think the printer is trying to be "too clever" not like the older printers where they did what "you" wanted to do. What you typed on the screen or saw in the print preview is what was what the printer printed.

The old Epsom printers had problems with the drive spindle, this HP has a major generic fault with the print head - my advice is not to buy this machine. My earlier HP printer lasted 10 years, never broke down, and was quieter.

Hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Sorry, I wasn't understanding you situation. I'd try doing your upgrade to Windows 10. That might take care of your printer problems and there's a possibility you like Windows 10. You have 30 days to decide if you want to keep Win 10, so you can rollback to Win 7 if you want.

Archived